Swansey to Georgia

I remember reading that Walker had relatives in the St Louis area and that is why we were on his list. I also seem to remember that his family lived somewhere in the midwest and then moved to San Diego few years ago, this could be why he was looking at midwestern schools. I guess the point is, that sometimes an opportunity presents itself and I am glad our staff at least pursued it to where he listed SLU as a school he was looking at.

One of the big reasons he went to Creighton was a friend of his is also going there now, Kenny Lawson from the San Diego area. Some very nice things happening at Creighton.

I was correct concerning the situation of the recuits on campus. Jake Pullen was scheduled to be on campus and only Jake Pullen this past weekend. This visit did not happen due to his commitment to Kansas State. Swansey was scheduled to visit this coming weekend. That visit will not be happening due his commitment to Georgia. Also, the Eckerle kid from Borgia was on campus with his parents today. OJ was misinformed about the Swansey visit and I like that you all take his word over mine. That is all of the information for now. As far as the Alexander commitment I did not hear anything definitive from the athletic department. Apparently the staff was pretty confident he was going to sign during or immediately following his visit. Hopefully OJ is correct on this verbal.

I did have the chance to see him play a couple of times and I was definitely impressed. He had a swagger about him to go along with unblievable athleticism. I have never seen a better athlete at the point guard position. He is pretty well put together and seemed to do fine against taller players, he is a generous 5'11 I would say. I don't think he has a great stroke from the arc, but the kid can flat out play. He is one of the more impressive players I have seen in person. I could definitely see him becoming a Nate Robisnon type player. I am really to see if this kid turns out on the collegiate level, cause he is something fun to watch.

Sorry, brianstl, I don't think Hardball's concerns are goofy. He's questioning UB's ability to recruit kids that will upgrade this program. No one knows what to make of this year's incoming class of HD, DM, and AK. It didn't make anyone's top 50 list to my knowledge. And now we are losing recruits to K-State, GA, Creighton. This on the heels of losing Stemler has got to make one wonder. What's goofy about questioning the lack of results? All that said, I hope UB has some surprises up his sleeve and us doubters are all busy wiping the egg off our faces.

I didn't say his concerns were goofy. His post regarding them are. Keeping track of kids who sign with Duke, Kentucky, Indiana and N.C., so he can compare Brad's recruiting to theirs. That is not just goofy, it is stupid.

72, wow we are losing kids to GA, K-state, and Creighton. I just cant't believe we lost a recruit from GA to the UGA, that is terrible. We lost a kid to a coach who has one of the best winning % and histories of putting players in the NBA, who could justify that. We lost a Cali kid to a coach who has built one of the best non-bcs programs in the country over the last 12 years, we can not accept this. This kind of stuff is just goofy. Then again, so was your sweating out the Bill's ranking on CHN for a month.

.And now we are losing

>recruits to K-State, GA, Creighton. This on the heels of

>losing Stemler has got to make one wonder.

What exactly are you wondering about? Huggins, Sampson and Altman are very successful coaches who beat out programs better than SLU for recruits all the time. GA was the hometown school in a power conference Swansey dreamed of playing in since he was little-- SLU is 600 miles away in a mid-major conference that has gotten 3 NCAA bids in 2 years.

The only time recruits outside of our area ever see SLU is when a Big Network carries our games. The only way a Big Network will carry our games is if we string together a number of postseason appearances.

3Star I understand what you are saying about Huggy and Sampson but do you think it is really too much to ask that SLU has the same success in recruiting as Altman? Everyone keeps saying start winning and the recruits will come. My question is, how can you start winning if you don't start getting better players? It is the whole arguement of which comes first the Chicken or the egg. I think we should expect to be every bit as good as Creighton and every once in a while beat out a K State or another BCS school for a recuit. But SLU hasn't accomplished either in the recent past.

It is all about attitude and expectations.

when soderberg has been at slu as long as altman has been at creighton i think you have a great point. in fact he better be recruiting at a level above what altman is doing now. but that is 8 years from now. 8 years indeed buys a lot of stability. i am all for that.

A lot of good things going on at Creighton, being listed in top 25 polls, solid recruiting classes, season ticket sales over 11k, newer arena, nice run of 20 win seasons and post season bids. None of this happened overnight though. Altman has been able to find a lot of diamonds in the rough types that he developed and were the building blocks of his success. Buford, Korver, Sears, McKinney, Funk, Toliver, etc are players that were not highly recruited, I don't think there was a single BCS school that looked at any of these players. The success he has had with these players has allowed Altman and his coaches to bring in the more highly rated players of the last couple of classes, Lawson, Walker, Miles, Morrison and Millard.

I have said this many times, I think we are on the right track with Brad, but he does have to continue improving in all aspects of coaching. I also like the change to Walker as an assistant, this shows Brad does realize some changes had to be made from the previous years.

but when we do ... you discount it and claim it doesn't count. We beat out BCS schools for Kevin and Tommie. Which would mean we beat out BCS schools in 2 out of our last 6 recruits. That seems to be every once in awhile. Now if this Anderson deal turns out to be true, it will be 3 out of the last 7.

Along with you, I expect it to get better. We need to string together some good years. It looks to me like we are about to do just that.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman