Tip-off Club meeting

Major Majerus

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

Summary as requested by Nark:

Brad wasn't there...on the road. Shimmy introduced her freshman class (5). Two of the recruits came after the initial signing period when unexpected openings allowed more scholarships. These resulted in a 6'3 center (local) and a 6'1 forward (local) who took an official visit to FL after her official visit to SLU and chose SLU because she wanted to part of what Shimmy was going to achieve at SLU. Shimmy has very high hopes for this year and I personally will attend more women's games than ever before. Ian and JJ represented the team as the only seniors. JJ has already received a degree and will score a 2nd this May. Ian will graduate on time, as are all of the team members slated to. Jamall Walker represented the coaching staff and talked about what a boon it was to return to his alma mater - particularly in these heady times. JJ and Ian talked about the conditioning program - prepatory to the planned running game this year. Walker, during the Q&A sessions, stated that, pound for pound, Luke was the strongest member of the team. Someone asked JJ and Ian about Obie's knee, whether he was limping, etc. The reply was that there is no sign of discomfort, that he was ready to go. A question to Ian was what he had learned to work on after the NBA camp. Ian was vague, but said he was working on conditioning and just working harder - that he had been exposed to stiffer competition and knew what he had to work on. He said the whole team was stronger from lifting this summer, and that the team was closer than ever before. Levick spoke and said that she and Brad had "stragegically" fine tuned the schedule with an eye for an at large NCAA bid if they couldn't win the conference tournament. Houston? It worked for both teams, RPI wise and financially. The DII game? A neutral game for W/L purposes, but saved 80 Grand from not buying a low level D1 team. Mizzou? Off the radar for now (doesn't want to lower the RPI) but will try again after this year...maybe open the new arena with them??? Will not do a 2/1 with them. Everybody upbeat...as well they should be. Sat next to AJ and Dr. B. Walker said they were very satisfied with this year's recruiting class. They had recruited Knollmeyer and didn't burn any bridges when he committed to MO. Then when the Q thing blew up, they were right there and able to pick him up. Maybe someone else can add what I've missed.

unca did a very thourough review, however i would like to add that it appears that shimmy has really recruited quite the crew. she pointed out the schools that she beat out to get her recruits like st johns, oklahoma, and florida. she pointed out that teresa was the miss illinois high school player of the year last year. that the two cincy recruits played on high level teams. i noticed that she has a center, two forwards and two guards. hmmmmmmm.

the girls fielded most of the questions and were very articulate and charming. without a doubt, i thought shimmy and her crew were the stars of the evening.

cheryl explained the schedule. and like unca said, it was completely rpi driven. houston why a home and home. like unca said, saved us the buy fee, but also now we have two games vs a similar rpi foe instead of another 250+ game which apparently was the only other alternative.

quincy was also an rpi decision. why play a low d-1 team that will kill the rpi when if they play a d-2 team the game doesnt count against the rpi at all.

she also told us that she indeed expects north carolina to sell out and that they have already exceeded their season tix goals. she reminded everyone of the need to be in the billiken club if they expect a say in where they sit in the new arena. it wont matter how long you have been a season tix holder, you will go to the end of the line when seat selection day comes and you arent a billiken club member.

the best comment i took of the evening though was from jamal walker. he had just commented on the want for the team to pick up the tempo more and he said that because of that, this next recruiting class is primarily about finding the best athletes available. not necessarily positions. he then commented that one of there top targets is someone they have been watching and recruiting for three years.

of course he cant and didnt name names, but one would assume that would be powell imo.

that is about all i can remember.

Hey Unca--

so you sat next to me? How in the world did you know it was me !??? You must have ESP. Anyway, you should have said hello and introduced yourself. Plus you should have bought me another Fat Tire draft.

It was my first Tip-off club meeting. I suppose for some of you old-timers Humphrey's has some nostalgic cache but personally I was struck by how uncomfortable that space is for this meeting. With the sparkling new BSC, I am not sure why the club does not meet there. Sorry, Humphrey's-- I recognize how hard you are trying. But if the meeting ever gets much larger than that--which I assume it does during the season--where do they stick everyone?

I also wonder why away games are only on cable but not on satellite. Seems like almost half, if not more, people these days get satellite, which is now pretty competitive money-wise with charter.

One final note-- so much long-winded discussion on here over and over about Coach being under the gun this year, etc. blah blah blah. Absolutely no sense of that in this meeting. Very very clear that the AD and the university are very excited about the program and that Coach S is their man for the job. All the naysayers should take some of that faith in our coach to heart--although of course they won't.

Frankly, I truly hope we can hold onto Coach S for the next 5, 10, or more years--since schools willing to pay a lot more will almost certainly come knocking. Please stick around a while, coach!! And you too, Coach Walker!

Al Johnson told me the guy next to him reeling from all the Fat Tires was you. I was going to get you one, but the server said the keg had been emptied by one of the patrons. There was still some Guiness left, though...why didn't you buy me one?

two things, one doesnt charter charge an outrageous fee for cable to bars and restaurants? seems like we talked about this before.

second, jan has been a fantastic billiken club backer for a long long time. i am sure the billiken club meetings are a nice trade off for her support. however, doc b's point is well taken if the crowd increases. history actually says last nite was a peak nite and it will taper down as the season goes on and our personal lives get busier as they always do over the winter.

but speaking of utilizing the busch center, i have always wondered why on away games we dont host billiken game parties at the busch center. bring a few big screens in, pipe in the sound and serve food and drinks and recruit billiken club members and donors like crazy.

i know i would much rather come to something like that than be stuck in a small corner with no sound at the sports zone.

Shimmy said the girl turned down a Florida school, not necessarily Florida. Of course my question is what is the advantage to having the games on cable or dish over free television? St. Louis continues to be one of the smallest area for cable subscribers.

All in all it was a good time to meet people and see what is on the horizon for SLU athletics.

One more thing Shakara is taking her official visit to SLU either this weekend or next weekend. She is going to Tennessee first, then SLU, then Mizzou and somewhere else. Those three schools are definitely in that order.

ok, you were at the door when i was talking to earl about justin clayborne and jason ford. now i know who you are i will definitely say hi next time.

Oh, I see-- I was reeling from alcohol, ay?? And you believe everything AJ says?

In truth I had all of one beer. It was cold and delightful. But I copped a "buzz" on the great vibe of enthusiasm about this year's teams.

Maybe we should all wear name tags with our billikens.com handles emblazoned. I would be curious to match some names with a few faces.

Actually I have tried to maintain secrecy, being a SLU employee. That way I can speak freely. but it appears that the big secret of my identity is out-- DRATS!!

Not my 2 cents - they were talking about the conditioning program and the plans to be more up tempo. Could be exciting - we saw this group sometimes explode in spurts last year. I'm hoping for more of that.