Lindy's prognostications

Well, I didn't see Athlon's College Basketball, but I did pick up the 2006-07 Lindy's College Basketball yearbook today.

Lindy's projects zero Top 25 A-10 teams, and at No. 36, Xavier is their only team in the top 40 (they've got Winthrop at 30 and George Mason at 40). In conference ratings, Lindy's has the Big East on top, the Missouri Valley seventh ("Don't be stunned if there are three MVC teams in the Sweet Sixteen"; by the way, I forgot to mention that they have Southern Illinois ranked 22), and the Atlantic 10 ninth. In their field of 65 they project Xavier as the automatic bid and no at-large teams. In player position rankings, they have Ian Vouyoukas as the No. 10 center. They've got Missouri State's Blake Ahearn as the nations No. 4 shooting guard.

In Bill Doherty's A-10 preview, Lindy's tabs Xavier as the champ, UMass second, and SLU third. For the Bills, Lindy's says the good news is IV's return to school after flirting with early entry into the draft, the bad news is that the element of surprise is gone, and the projection is a postseason tourney -- likely the NIT. They list Vouyoukas as first-team all conference and Tommie Liddell third team.

There's a lot more of course. Go pick up a copy.

I don't want to rag on Blake, but any mag that list him as the 4th best sg has no validity at all. You can not tke anything in that magizine seriously. At the end of last season, Lisch was already a better all around player than Blake. Kevin doesn't belong in a list of the top five sg, yet.

The internet makes these magazines obselete. I used to buy all of them. I couldn't wait for the new College football mags to come out back in the day. The one I do think is good for College FB is the one the handi-capper puts out (I can't remember his name). He has some deep statistical analysis like how often a team covered the spread home away etc etc. Not that I bet on sports but it is interesting to look at. I do also buy one or two fantasy baseball and football magazine for the ratings.

The WH preview is more indepth and informative than any magazine.

I used to buy the three best ones and scour them; but the last couple of year's you were lucky if they knew who the new recruits or transfers were. They would basically take the year's before finishes and subtract who graduated and who returned. In that scenario we would look pretty good in spite of our dismal fall at the season end.

Brad needs a plan 2 and a plan 3 as we see teams a second time and for league playoffs; we

seemed to still be working at trying to get the flow of our game plan going and the opponent's coaches and players could pretty much predict our style. We need Twin Towers,

We need perimeter shooting from someone 40% or better from the three and we need a rebounder other than our center and guard IV and TL. It is rediculous for Tommie to be the

second highest rebounder on the team unless he is following up his shot. Let us pray his grades continue to be good and he keeps getting attention from the media for being loyal to SLU and wanting to play close to home for his parents and freinds and TL has a break out year and gets some support. These days you need a team with 5 threats not 2 like in the old Douglas-Gray days or three when we added Bonner.

Please Brad get 5 players involved and if you ever get a ball hawking, scene stealing, free throw making guard or forward who is as intense as Blake Ahearne or Kevin Lisch don't give the scholarship to a reluctant spot up shooter like Darren Clarke-ever again Amen p.s. my group is back up to 12 season ticket holders we had dropped to eight for awhile.

The best book/magazine worth buying (only in my mind)is the Blue Ribbon book. Over the last several years, I have purchased the official media guides via the various conference offices. I usually get media guides from the A-10/C-USA, the MVC (because you can pick one up at their Chouteau office)to follow the midwest kids, the West Coast conference, the MAC, and the Big Ten. You probably can get most media guides via the school internet sites.