Post coverage question....

gister

nate, who do we need to contact at the post to get you to be our "backup" beat writer? timmerman has never liked covering the billikens imo and his writeup on the dayton game still mirrored "going through the motions". you should take it on.

I think a bigger issue from a fan's standpoint is why the beat reporter for the Billikens was pulled from the Billikens right in the middle of the season (at a game against a top-25, more or less, opponent, and one into whose conference the Bills are going) to write backup copy about an event that has no St. Louis teams participating in it. It ain't earthshaking for SLU not to have Stu for a game (although I, as a fan, would prefer him there), but it also is just one more in a long list. I would think the the SID or athletic director at most schools would register their displeasure at such a decision.

I read the article, noticed a weird condescending tone, and because I never looked at the byline assumed that Stu was a little cranky about going to Dayton.

Generally, Stu knows good defense and would at least see the game in that light (I did not see the game but were the first half turnovers really "unforced sloppiness" as the article implies? Was it "bad shooting" or good D or some combo of the two?). The article was written under the impression that Dayton was not a 10-1 sometimes ranked team.

There is probably plenty of truth in the article but it failed to capture any of the drama of beating a team that had played well most of the season and had garnered some national attention. It also failed to capture any of the drama of the Bills run and Dayton's attempts to come back. I got that from reading posts here (thanks).

The PD is like all businesses today - they stretched thin. How many of you are doing your work and parts of others because of downsizing and cost savings efforts. Sending Stu to do the football report was also a chance to give him an opportunity to expand his exposure and prove his versatility - good opportunity for Stu. You are correct, Timmerman has never down a great job of covering SLU when he was the beat writer. If I was him I would be wondering why he was sent to Dayton and Stu was given bigger chance - seems to me that Stu has passed him up. One thing the PD needs to understand is that having writers who want to cover a team will create better copy than just having a warm body - everybody wins and the paper gains the most.