The Mike Anderson tour on TV

While I am certainly not one of the posters who is on Brad's case (neither do I think he has done a great job), but it pained me to see long interviews on all the local sports shows featuring State U's new coach. Of course, he used the standard coach phrase about "sealing the borders." It will be interesting to see how Brad does in sealing his borders (however he defines them) against MA's aggressive approach in the local area.

While watching MA's publicity tour, it made me wonder if BS did anything similar when he was appointed-I couldn't recall seeing SLU getting anywhere near this amount of pub. And no, I don't blame this failure on the miserable local newspaper, but rather on Brad and the Sports Info Dept. at SLU.

It usually seems that the SLU BB program/coach is doing everything possible to AVOID media coverage, e. g. us having to piece together the upcomimg schedule by reading other teams' web sites. I know the true test of a good basketball coach is not in how much news he generates, but Brad needs to reflect on the State U. media blitz by MA and realize that he needs to relate better and more often with the fan base, if for no other reason than to sell more tickets and generate more pledges to the new Arena.

I believe MA has raised the bar in recruiting the St. Louis area and BS needs to do likewise.

MA will be more than formidable in terms of recruiting wars. In fact, I would say we can pretty much forget about getting and top tier 6'0-6'8 wing type players who can run and jump out of the gym. Nevermind, with the exception of Tommie Liddell we don't get those guys anyway.

Remember this; MA had a top 25 class committed to UAB for this coming season. Imagine what he can do at Mizzou.

The lack of media coverage for the program is extremely disappointing and the responsibility for this falls squarely on Coach and the SID. How can you generate any excitement if you are never out their promoting your product? For example, some will say that MA having a meeting right outside Tyler Griffey's classroom was a used-car salesman tactic. I think it was brilliant and it is those kind of things that not only makes that individual recruit remember you, but it created a media buzz due to its creativity as a recruiting tactic. Coach doesn't seem to want to "play the game" and hence I don't think we will ever be a consistently successful program under him.

Sadly, I agree. UB seems not to understand that a little bit of hype goes a long way in the minds of kids these days. He seems an "old schooler" whose approach is I will win, that will sell. Unfortunately today you got to sell before you can win. MA will be substantial competition for us. They've always had the advantage of being the State School. Now a coach who wants to win with in staters, gonna be tough. UAB was going up against heavy competition with UA, Auburn, and other SEC schools. Again, I wonder if this is why UW did not give Brad a shot at the full time HC job, ie he just wasn't hip enough?

I remember Brad having those Sunday night interviews when he was hired. I have also seen him back on those shows ever since. He has also gotten some good pub with the Post during the season as well. The problem isn't with Brad, the problem is our school. SLU is seen as a local news story only. Mizz is a statewide school which most people throughout the state follow. There are probably few SLU fans outside of an hour from St Louis. The Post and other papers are going to do more articles about Mizz than they will SLU because their audience is beyond this metro area.

As far as the schedule, there are not many schools that release any part of the schedule until it is done. With the release of the schedule also comes the push for season tickets. I don't think any schools are done with their schedules yet and I would expect many to run into August before they are completed. I don't think even the conference schedule is close to being done, at one point I thought I saw on the A10 board there was talk of going back to divisions, not sure if they meant for next year or not though.

THANK YOU! A voice of reason.

Something else for folks to remember is that Brad is local and easy to "get" by the local tv/radio and Post at almost any time. Anderson is a 90 minute drive each way... that takes a camera out of service for well over half a day. SLU? 10 minutes drive for every station. Therefore, when Anderson comes to town, the tv stations jump on that opportunity. Another well known fact by the St Louis media was how tough Snyder was to get on the air...so Anderson seems like a breath of fresh air to the tv types.

And finally... Cardinal baseball right now is the biggest story, period. Second comes the Rams when they have another mini camp or training camp. We're battleing for media coverage against some heavy hitters during a 3 minute local sports segment at 10 oclock.

So let me get this straight; MA gets more coverage because he is more difficult to cover? Isn't that what you are saying? We hear more about him because he is a harder "get" than Soderberg? Does that make any sense whatsoever?

These are the comments I don't understand. Many of you say I bash Coach any chance I get. That's fine. However, as can be observed in the above two posts, can't we also say that some people defend coach to the point of absurdity? I mean to say we don't hear more about SLU because we are a local institution is ridiculous. Yes, the Cardinals are tops in this town and the Rams are number two. Doesn't Mizzou have to deal with the same obstacles to get coverage? Of course they do, but they seem to do it. Here's a novel idea; how about we get more coverage by actually DOING SOMETHING WORTH COVERING instead of whining about the lack of coverage we get.

These things would definitely get covered:

1) Winning something

2) Signing top-tier players, epsecially those who are local

3) Playing big-time opponents (last year's OOC was real good with the likes of Iowa, UNC, and Gonzaga)

4) Playing the recruiting game (ie comeing up with a creative way to get a recruit's attention and letting the media know about it)

I think the Band makes a couple of good points. As far as TV/Radio the bills get a lot of coverage. We are continually on the local news shows for quick segments about upcoming games,highlites,interviews with Brad etc. Brad is on KMOX almost every Sunday during the season. Last week was MA's first trip to STL,thats news. I'm sure we'll get a lot of coverage when Ian's status is resolved. I feel the local media sans the Post gives us good coverage. Now the Post with all their MU grads thats another story.

I remember when SLU hired BS, we got a lot of coverage. He was even invited to Busch to throw out the first pitch. Of course MA is going to get more coverage than Brad right now. It's the offseason and SLU didn't make a head coaching chage. Big state U hire's a new coach after being in bball hell for two years. They are dying to get some sort of credibility to the program. I think Brad and ESPECIALLY SLU need to work on PR...I've never been happy with it. BUT to think that SLU bball should get more coverage than Mizzou right now is just insane. What the hell would they report?

Also, it's just SOP for State U to get more coverage than the local private school. It happens everywhere. Bigger Alumni base = Bigger Fan base = More Money = More sponsors. It's all about the Benjamins...

And I'll just add this. I've been out of STL since winter '02. I went back to see a game this year. On the way back to Nashville, I had 590 on until it went out around Paducah. I heard more about Brad and SLU ball in those three hours than I've ever heard on the radio. Brad has made tremendous inroads with the local media. Hell we even get Bernie and Gordo on our side. There's ALWAYS room for improvement, but let's give some credit where it is due.

"DOING SOMETHING WORTH COVERING"

Is the point I was trying to make. The local outlets decide what to cover and when to cover it. This is in response to those who belive the SID should be "doing more" and getting their "friends" in the media to do a story.

How much coverage has Anderson gotten lately? A story in the post today, comments from one of his jaunts to the big city last week on television... its all a lot more newsworthy b/c he is a new coach, taking over for a fired one. What is Brad doing that is "different" than he did last year? He's out recruiting, running his camps, dealing with scheduling...all very mundane (for the general public's- obviously more important and interesting to some of us).

And if you understand all of that (and re-reading the earlier post about how much easier it has been to get Brad on the air/inprint), THATS why a visit to st louis by the new coach is bigger news than what Brad is doing this summer.

..Checklist... winning something cant happen until March. (do we wait till then?

Signing top tier players.... everyone knew we were in on Stemler and we DID sign LOCAL product Mcguire.

We quite often have a top tier OCC schedule.

As an institution, we are not allowed to discuss recruits with the media. Those are rules. Why do people still think its OK to skirt them? If there was a way to check, I bet the "leak" about the visit to "wave" at Tyler Griffey didnt come from Mizzou, but from an excited parent or classmate.

Oh, and I don't think Anderson gets MORE coverage (how is that measured, by the way?) once we get to a "regular" offseason. This one is different, he's taking over the state's largest basketball program in turmoil. Its all subjective based on the "newsworthy-ness" of a story.