i know this isnt the tigerboard, but.....

billiken_roy

i have been trying to think of a program that got the dreaded "you are officially being investigated" letter and nothing came of it. i cannot think of a single program that escaped probation and sanctions after being officially investigated. i think at this point it is just a matter as to how bad the punishment for cheating will be. should make for the start of a good day.

There's been fara too much smoke coming out of Columbia for a while. It was only a matter of time. The NCAA could not ignore these incidents and maintain its integrity. The good side of me wishes Mizzou the best; the bad side asks how long Mizzou's been doing this "internal" investigation and how much will that allow for cover up? I have no facts to support the second half of that statement. Its good cop-bad cop.

Hey ... us government types are always doing cover ups so its natural to lean that way!!!!

Has something happened we don't know about, or is this just a post to fill time until 10/18? Personally, I hope pretty Q gets the book thrown at him. He has not pushed the envelope with his recruiting tactics, he's torn it up. Wouldn't it be ironic that in the year everyone is touting them for a final four, he's got a program facing severe penalties. Unfortunately, I don't think anything will come of all this, as it is obvious Ricky Clemons has been bought off by the Wal Mart boys.

>Has something happened we don't know about, or is this just

>a post to fill time until 10/18?

Perhaps you have not read or heard that the NCAA sent Missouri the official Letter of Inquiry yesterday. Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting the above statement.

>Personally, I hope pretty Q

>gets the book thrown at him.

No doubt.

>He has not pushed the envelope

>with his recruiting tactics, he's torn it up.

Again, no doubt.

>Wouldn't it be

>ironic that in the year everyone is touting them for a final

>four, he's got a program facing severe penalties.

Perhaps it wouldn't be "ironic," but it could be catastrophic for Missouri fans, depending on what the penalties are. If either Mizzou or the NCAA feels a postseason ban in the upcoming season is an appropriate part of adequate punishment....

>Unfortunately, I don't think anything will come of all this,

>as it is obvious Ricky Clemons has been bought off by the

>Wal Mart boys.

I don't know if it will matter if Ricky Clemons says anything, or not, because there's a smoking paper trail that extends several years into the past and many miles into North Carolina. The NCAA is like the proverbial Mounted Police: they always get their man. As Roy said, I can't think of a single time that the NCAA issued a letter of inquiry that wasn't followed by sanctions associated with major infractions.

you say isnt it ironic that the year they have final 4 aspirations they are in trouble, i say the reason they are in final 4 view is because they have cheated to get there. so no, i dont say it is ironic, it is justice. as taj said above, i just hope that the "internal investigation" hasnt given the tigers enough time to cover their tracks. of course walmart gift certificates probably fix everything.

http://www.showmenews.com/2003/Sep/20030925News004.asp

Inquiry signals bad news for MU fans, experts say.

By Nate Carlisle of the Tribune’s staff

Published Thursday, September 25, 2003

An official NCAA inquiry is a bad sign for Tigers fans, say two experts on the NCAA who added that they don’t know of any cases where the organization has formally investigated an athletic program without finding infractions.

"I think if you’re a big fan of the current program and the current leadership, I think it’s hard to find any good news from" the notice sent Tuesday to the University of Missouri-Columbia, said Steve Ross, a University of Illinois law professor who specializes in sports law.

Yesterday, MU announced it had been advised of an NCAA investigation into the men’s basketball program. The notice came in the form of a letter dated Tuesday and addressed to MU Chancellor Richard Wallace.

It has been known for several weeks the NCAA was inquiring about former MU player Ricky Clemons. The letter signaled another step in the investigation.

"When they reach the point they send the official inquiry letter... that means they are very confident they’ve got evidence of some violations," said Peter Goplerund, a Drake University law professor who’s an expert on NCAA guidelines.

Both Goplerund and Ross say they don’t know of any cases where an investigation letter was sent, a formal investigation was launched and no infractions of NCAA rules were found.

"If you ask the NCAA, they’ll say the university is innocent until they’re proven guilty," Ross said. "But if you look at the way the infractions committee acts, I can’t say that’s true."

The NCAA classifies infractions as major or secondary. Secondary violations are defined as infractions where minimal recruiting or competitive advantage was gained. Ross said that secondary violations are usually unintentional. Major violations are infractions where a university gains an extensive advantage. Secondary violations can add up to a major violation if they are considered collectively.

NCAA investigators typically are lawyers employed by the association, Ross said. They will make a report to the infractions committee, often composed of professors from member universities, who serve as "judge and jury," Ross said.

Unlike in a court of law, MU will have no right to remain silent, Goplerund said. Schools, coaches and athletes are required to cooperate with the NCAA, he said, and failure to do so can be, in itself, a major violation.

As for whether Clemons, who was dismissed from the basketball team this summer, must assist in the investigation, Goplerund said: "If he ever wants to participate in NCAA athletics again, he’s going to have to cooperate. If he’s decided this is the end for him, there’s nothing they can do to make him cooperate."

Clemons is believed to have one more year of NCAA eligibility remaining.

According to the NCAA rulebook, penalties for secondary violations can include declaring a player ineligible and forfeiture of any games in which he or she participated. Secondary violations can also draw a reduction of scholarships.

Major violations can result in bans from post-season tournaments and requirements to dismiss coaches from the respective program.

Goplerund said the trend of the past 10 years for schools in violation has been to impose their own sanctions in an effort to demonstrate contrition and draw leniency from the infractions committee.

"And my guess is Mizzou will probably give serious consideration to that if it determines there are some problems," Goplerund said.

"In fact, I would say they would be well-advised to take that approach."