soccer Billikens off to 2-0 start ... beat Virginia in

jjray

Great start to the season for our young soccer Billikens.

http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/sports/m-socc.../083103aaa.html

They beat #14 Virginia at Virginia in OT today despite playing a man down for almost the entire second half. One of the 2 kids from the 17 and under national team (DiRaimondo) scored the second goal despite having just joined the team this weekend. Also of note was the fact that Freshman forward Vedad Ibisevic (from Roosevelt High in STL) scored a goal and, more importantly, assisted on the game winner in OT. Ibisevic was not much of a passer upon arrival at SLU so it nice to see him pick up a key assist this early in the season.

They play #9 Clemson next Friday.

Thanks for the recap. What a tough schedule to start the season.

Against Akron, Will John put in a penalty from about the same distance as John D did today, That accuracy should serve them well throughout the season. Hard to believe that we beat Virginia on the road with so many freshman starting for us.

I agree it is nice to hear Vedad got the assist on the overtime goal. If he learns to give it up more often it will only improve his scoring chances.

I can't wait for them to get back home. I want to see John D and Grazier play

Most impressed by the Billiken D and Goalkeeper Hutton. They held off the Virginia attack well under pressure. The Cavaliers had 33-6 shot advantage in the game and 16-0 advantage on corner kicks. Clemson will be a tough one next week. Wish the BBall billikens had this kind of SOS.

Man, Dan has quite the recruiting class this year. I knew they were talented, but I didn't think they would contribute to 100% of our scoring. We might be a little young this year, but I don't think a Final Four is out of the question for next year. Who knows though, this team could be good enough to make it that far this year. Of course, you don't want to get ahead of yourself since it's only the second game of the year, but it's still fun to think about. Way to go Bills!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

what a battle yesterday at Klockner. I approached the game thinking my loyalties would be divided (I'm a StL native and had a cousin play for the Bills, and I'm also a grad student at UVa), but as soon as the blue took the field I was rooting for SLU all the way.

Folks, you should really see this team if you get a chance. Lots of home grown talent and very young -- half the roster was in the freshman class. They have big-time talent and kept their poise even when playing a man down the whole second half. I came away very impressed.

I had the privilege of sitting next to a SLU soccer alum from the 60s who was basically a living encyclopedia of StL soccer. The whole experience was really a treat. Again, I highly recommend seeing this team play -- they'll surely be making some noise in the national scene.

the game vs ND was a pre season game. Coach had neither of the national U-17 guys available for that game, and didn't have one of the top defenders in til ten minutes to go in the game. ND is a top 20 team, though.

This was definitely a quality win on the road, against another top 20 team. We lost to them in the semi finals of the NCAA in OT a few years back. Good to get a W there.

Notre Dame is ranked between 10 and 15 depending on which poll you look at.

We really played a very good 1st half against them ... especially considering who did not play.

I believe I have seen ( but not sure where ) that Akron is just outside the top 25. If I am correct than that is also a very good win.

I think our next home game is Sat night Sept. 13th. I will second the notion that if you haven't seen them play than you should.

Vedad is probably our 4-5 best freshman. On most teams he would be the star of their class. That is not a knock on Vedad ...but I would rank John D, Grazier, and Will John ahead of him, and Peplinski may prove to be his equal.

I will be shocked if we stay healthy and the players stay.... if we are not in the hunt for a National Title next year ... Who knows maybe this year. These kids are really good.

To go along with the kids, our defense is experienced, strong and good. Hutton is probably a future pro keeper.

so i still dont understand why they are labeled "exhibiton" games? what you just pick out a few games and say, well those dont count?

does any other college sports play "exhibition games" vs other division I teams they could conceivably play in the national title game later in the year? forgive me, but this really seems strange to me.