PD blurb on Polk

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...+Normandy+Tourn

Dwayne Polk scored seven points but unofficially was in double-digits for assists, as the stellar point guard propelled Vashon up and down the court.

"We have a point guard who transcends scoring," Vashon coach Floyd Irons said. "We get the ball inside and our kids play very unselfishly and that's the key to our success."

Late in the first half, Polk stole the ball and fed Franklin with an alley-oop dish that the Mizzou-bound football player finished with an impressive dunk for a 44-21 Vashon lead. Polk was a showcase early, blowing past a defender with a lightning-quick crossover dribble that awed the big crowd.

"That was a ball and head fake," Polk said. "I got it from watching tapes of 'And One Basketball.'"

I've had players of mine swear by these AND 1 shows on tv and video. I took one look at them and I knew why out TO ratio had jumped so out of control. For me flashy play and team concept rarely work together if ever at the HS level much less the college one.

Actually, I think it would be fantastic for the Bills if they had a flashy point guard. Tommie L. makes flashy plays as well.

As we move into the new building it would be great for marketing, fan support and attendance if we had a number of players who were entertaining to watch. The only potential problem would be dumb turnovers but I am sure that Coach Brad will have them playing within the team concept!!

I agree with you Billikan. Some flashy guard play (and wins, of course) could definitely help attendance, especially in our new arena. It would be a great marketing tool and I can't see Brad letting it get out of control. The more I read about these recruits, the more excited I get about them!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Don't confuse flashy guard play with stupid/poor guard play - too often people think they are the same. For someone to exhibit flashy play they must be successful at it otherwise it is simply poor/stupid play. If you can be flashy - meaning get the job done - then that is perfectly acceptable. Often, when someone tries to be flashy they do not have the talent to do so and it ends up being stupid/poor play.