high school tourney

my son and i took in the belleville summer slam today. it plots most of the area illinois high school teams (both men's and women's) versus each other for two days.

we got to see tommie liddell, jb jones, arthur sargent, darius luster, demareo (sp?) smith, and the two super sophs from bethalto, mcguire and jones, twice each today.

liddell is the real deal. he has filled out some since i saw him last. he is as smooth as can be. seems to be able to get a shot when ever he wants. i would tell you he is a poor man's larry hughes by the way he handles himself on the floor. dont get me wrong, he isnt hughes. hughes had extreme point guard skills and had penny hardaway like floor vision, and i dont think tommie has that level of skills on those attributes, but he is built the same way, seems to be as big as hughes was as a high school senior and just glides over the court so effortlessly. he is a player.

also on his team was this demareo smith. smith is probably about 6'6" tall and extremely gifted athletically and body wise. strong kid. but he did not get a chance to do anything away from the basket. not sure if he is good enough inside wise to play c-usa powerforward. but then again, i was told he is only going to be a junior, so he could be one to watch.

jb jones had two really nice games. just took over the second game and put the game out of reach. his is a nice player that is capable of playing point in college. i like him. but we seem to be filled at his position. he will make some college team very happy.

arthur sargent played extremely well imo. he is extremely athletic as well and has liddell size. he shot the ball more from the outside than what i remember him doing before and shot very well. if we lose out on liddell and meyer and want a sf/sg, arthur might be a player to take a look at. i think he is at least mvc level talented.

luster did not do much in what i saw of his game, but they were playing the same time belleville althoff was playing and i was watching that althoff game most of that period. i did see him block a shot where his hand was up at the top of the square on the backboard. however, i noticed he was playing exclusively under the basket today. luster played some on the wing last year and imo, his college future is as a wing, not a 6'5" center.

the two bethalto kids are nice players. jones is a very heady point guard that is very mature and poised. and mcguire seemed to be able to get the ball down low and create a scoring opportunity. they bear watching develop as both will be sophs next year from what i was told today.

kevin lisch was there but did not play as supposedly he pulled a muscle this past week at a camp in kansas (not kansas as in jayhawks, just a camp in kansas).

btw, if jill is reading, mascoutah has a point guard named bec harris that is the equal of star jackson right now. go get her.

price was not there. supposedly wanted time off after the nike camp. btw, i found out tonite from my son that i had luster from cahokia mixed up with a different kid. luster was not there either.

hmmm, i wonder why jones was there then. you would think he would have been with the eagles as well.

you are correct. i talked to a kid tonite that went to grade school with arthur and arthur will only be a junior next year at belleville west.

You might want to re-think that Demario Smith comment. I have watched

him play since his freshman yr and much like Andre Brown, he seems

to play b-ball only because he is 6'6. They both seem to play

the game without passion. During last years game between East Side

and Belleville West in the sectional semi-finals, Smith feigned injured and did not compete.

A short time later he was seen playing pick up ball.

In a recent interview with Liddell on Rivals, he listed only Bradley, Depaul, Marquette and Kansas as schools he's interested in. He said only Bradley and Depaul have offered but Marquette was the favorite. He also said he wants to decide over the summer. Can you add anything to this ?

jalensdad, first off, welcome to the board. i remember you posted a number of times some very interesting insight on bob gibbons messageboard.

as to smith, you hit the nail on the head apparently today. i did not attend the summer slam today, but my son was there and he said smith was worthless today. with his body that is sad. he is obviously very talented and one hates to see him waste his opportunities.

btw, belleville althoff won the tourney without kevin lisch playing a bit beating e st louis first and then winning the championship vs belleville west. however west was without price and jb jones today. price was supposedly playing with the eagles somewhere but jones was awol. my son told me liddell and mark howland were both splendid in the loss by east side though.

Interesting enough SLU has offered him a scholarship, so don't

count out SLU. You can pretty much count out Bradley, the only

connection they had with Tom was Phillip Gilbert and he will

be gone when Tommie gets there. Coach Crean made a huge impression

with Tom and his Dad because he stated to them that he would take

Tom under any circumstances. He has issues with his grades but Tom

is a bright kid if not consistent in the classroom. Any school that

recruits him would not be taking a huge risk.

Thanks for the info B-Roy as I wasn't able to attend. The Flyers

should have a good team this year if Mark Howlett finds some

consistency in his overall game. I don't know about Smith though.

The class of SWC should be West with JB Jones leading the way.

Price should easily average over 20+ a game. Crazy enough Mark

Howlett has a twin brother who is light years ahead of him talent

wise but refuse to attend class. So to any JUCO coach out there

he may be worth the effort. The name of his brother is Marcus.

I second that. If Tommie Liddell will meet the NCAA's initial eligibility requirements (and maybe even if he won't -- Dwayne Wade didn't), then I want him at SLU.

Considering what Brad Soderberg already has in the fire, I think the addition of Dwayne Polk, Tommie Liddell, and Matt Shaw would be just what the doctor ordered. The Billikens would then be as athletic as any team in its conference, and Brad would probably make them more skilled. I think I see conference championships in the not-distant future.

Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself.

let's not forget young kevin lisch would be due to debut in the billiken backcourt the following year! ;-)

>

> then tell him to come on down so we can form that lethal

>lefty backcourt of liddell and polk in the future along with

>our athletic 6'4" guard in darren clark. tommie can be our

>dwayne wade. spread the love, jalensdad

I'll tell you what, Coach Soderberg made a huge impression with Liddell's uncle when he sent Liddell a letter encouraging him during

summer school.