Tommie Liddell chooses SLU

SLUDrew

SLU gets East St. Louis standout

By Nate Latsch

Special to the Post-Dispatch

10/03/2003

East St. Louis senior Tommie Liddell is expected to choose St. Louis University today when he announces his college plans in a 1:30 p.m. news conference at the high school.

Liddell, a 6-foot-4 swingman, averaged 17.2 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.7 steals and 2.1 blocks last season and was recently rated by PrepStars.com as the 128th-best prospect in the nation.

If Liddell commits to SLU, he would be the third local recruit for the 2004-05 season, joining Vashon point guard Dwane Polk and Borgia swingman Luke Meyer.

There were enough solid sources that said Liddell was headed to SLU.

I posted the stuff about my phone call to Tommie because, while a lot of people have talked about the situation, no one had any direct quotes from the athlete in question.

Liddell is expected to commit to SLU, even though he told me differently. If he chooses another school, a lot of people -- myself included -- will look bad.

- Nate

According to Channel 5 last night, it was down to us, Marquette, and Illinois. I've heard you all say on numerous occasions that Marquette was given away all their scholarships for 2005, so I'm assuming it's down to us and Illinois. Has he even visited U of I yet? It looks like it should be us since we're getting all the mentions from the recruiting gurus, but I guess you never know. I believe it ya Nate! By the way, if it is SLU that he picks, I might have to do a special news bulletin since I'll be at work and let all my listeners/co-workers know...after all, I am in Mizzou country out here!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

SLURadioBoy,

Where do you work...I wrongly thought looking at your moniker that you must work at SLU's radio station. Do you do all sports format? The all sports in the Tampa area suck! In fact it is so bad that one of the two staions is going to the ESPN radio feed for most of the day which will be fine by me.

while i do not think marquette is a player. and it is true they have their scholarships spoken for already, it is not unusual for a school to "overbook" their scholarships. amazing how schools always seem to have a scholarship open up when they need one.

No, we are certainly not an all sports format, although I would love it if we were. I actually work at a station called "Country 96" (95.7 FM) in my hometown. I did used to work at KSLU, however. I was the Sports Director there and the founder of the show "The Billiken Sports Hour." Although some of you might make fun of me for working at a country station, how many kids out of college get their first break at a 100,000 watt station that reaches 40 counties? :)

We hail Saint Louis U."

Yep, that sure is our website. We actually just redesigned it on Wednesday. The old version wasn't that great with the exception of it having the staff listed on there. That's the only thing I wish they would have kept on there. I like the new one much better though. By the way, KWWR are perhaps the worse call letters in radio history. I don't know if there's anything harder than saying "double-U double-U" on the air. If you wanted to know though the WWR stands for "the Wonderful World of Radio." :)

We hail Saint Louis U."

nothing wrong with working at a country station. the way "rock music" has progressed, i find myself listening to more and more country music all the time. i simply dont get the rap and screaming metal music a bit. plus, most of what you hear on the country stations these days is nowhere near what we grew up believing country music was. i mean much of it doesnt even have a steel guitar or banjo anymore. not that there is anything wrong with that, but the point is the old divisions of music categories seems to blur more and more all the time. this morning while exercising at the the club i work out at, i saw four videos on cmt in a row. the first one had jimmy buffet singing with a country star, the second had john mellencamp singing with someone, the next was a video by the eagles and then there was a martina mcbride video that could easily have passed for a pat benatar song and sound 20 years ago.

Marquette hasn't been in the picture for a long time and I don't think they ever offered him. They pretty much stopped recruiting him early this summer after his first ACT scores came out but the main factor was that Crean placed a priority on post players as his most pressing need (since they lose Merritt and Sanders this year and New Jackson next year and are pretty loaded at guard in the freshman and sophomore classes) and got 2 of his top 3 priorities (lost out on Pruitt). I thought there was a post last month about Oklahoma and Wake Forest being interested in Tommie or am I thinking of someone else.

billiken law said, "They pretty much stopped recruiting him early this summer after his first ACT scores came out"

i thought i had heard that tommie had never taken the act because before now he knew he wasnt ready to even attempt it. i might be wrong though.

ACT or maybe it was grades. I know that academic concerns led to MU stopping their recruitment of Tommie - that and the need for post players (though, as I've said, Crean really liked his game). A couple posts on the Marquette board today from a MU and Purdue (who was also once after Tommie) insider mention either prepping or sitting out a year. Hopefully his summer off from basketball was productive academically and that is no longer the case. I doubt Brad would have offered him if he were still an academic risk.