who is everyone

I registered to post and join the fun. I've been reading for a few months and this is my first time doing this anywhere. I graduated from SLU in '64 and left town. Have lived in the SF bay area for 33 years and had a hard time following the Bills until I discovered this a year ago. I met Justin Love at the summer league games he plays out here just before he went to SLU. His father and family rave about the way he was treated by SLU and he is one of the most popular players in the summer league. He is back in China now as far as I know. I will see 2 games on ESPN this year like everyone else outside on SL. The new arena looks great... Go Bills.

Welcome to Billikens.com, Almeda Bob (actually, I guess you've been here a while -- you're a long-time "lurker," first-time poster!). This is definitely the place to come to get your Billiken fix. If you've been gone for 33 years, things have changed a lot at SLU since you've been gone (and since I've never attended SLU, I'm not one to tell you all about the changes). Thanks for the Justin Love update.

welcome almeda. you tell charles he needs to get back in here and start writing to us again asap! :-) charles and gloria are two of the finest people i ever met. they went well out of there way to make sure my son (who was 12 then) and a friend of his got to come back after a game and meet all the players. i for one thought it was a grand gesture and i know my son still values it. he has a shelf full of autographs and memoribilia but his autographed photo of him with justin still sits in front of everything.

good to hear from you post often.

Alameda, welcome to the board. It's good to know I have some company on the west coast.

Schasz-

So you say you got water logged in Seattle?! I think you mentioned living in Seattle before. Did you lived in Everett? I live just north of downtown and people tell me that I've had unusually great weather since I moved here (plenty of those rare sunny winter days)-- and then this summer was one of the driest on record. I don't miss the heat or the cold at all. We'll see how winter #2 goes; I may be looking to move to the sunshine state myself...

Our house was in Edmonds, WA not very far from Everett. Our house had a view of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mtns. when it wasn't rainy or cloudy. Our two favorite getaways were Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast and Whistler, BC for skiing. Of course Whistler is one of the top ski resorts in Canada and will be used extensively when Vancouver hosts the Winter Games. Florida was our life long goal and Tampa-St. Pete was our favorite...we knew zero about Palm Harbor in N. Pinellas county but the schools are better and that was our deciding point with two teens that had to get through school.

I majored in Marketing at C&F, remember sitting next to John Cook in our accounting classes. I was a walkon on the frosh team in '61, coached by Freddie Kovar. Lots of memories of The Cardinals coming to the West Pine gym to be treated by Bob Bauman, shooting hoops with Bob Gibson and others there. The old MVC was always tough, we were always middle of the pack back then behind Cincy, Bradley, Wichita St. But the games at Keil were great and we had to compete with some great Hawks teams for the hoop fans love. I'm still in touch with Russ Grieger, but have lost track of teammates Garrison, Strange, Leuchtefeld, Beckmeier and others whose names I forget. I'll try and get hold of Mr. Love for B-roy and pass on your wishes.

I'm not the skier so I defer to my wife who has been to the Colorado resorts but not to Taos. She prefers Whistler over any of the Colorado resorts. Whistler is still a bargain with the currency difference between US and Canada. It was a steal back in the days we traveled there.

many don't know - but Gibson was thought to be a much better basketball player at Creighton than baseball. he was on a hoops scholarship as a Bluejay.

in an all-star game against the Harlem Globetrotters he played very well and impressed the HG so much that they signed him and he went on tour with them for awhile. I think he got tired of the road and doing 2 games/shows a day everyday - so began his baseball career.

He would come in, get worked on by Doc Bauman, then come onto the floor and work over the skinny college kids. Check out the photos of the physiques of bballers in the 60's and look at the difference today. Can't tell HS kids and pros apart.

Justin Love fans check out www.hardknocks.com the dunk JL though down over Gil Arenas in the first game of the year was the best of the summer! He led his team SFCity undefeated champs, www.sfprocity.com

alamada, fyi, dave luechtifeld had a storied career as one of the most successful high school basketball coaches in illinois, and now is a state senator representing southern illinois at the illinois general assembly.

cu, one of my favorite all-time autobiographies is "ghetto to glory". i bet i read it 10x. i recall in the book that gibson was told by the cardinals he had to quit the globetrotters. he even considered quitting the cardinals to be a full time globetrotter.

doesnt gibby still live in the omaha area?

Yes. It's closer to home; the snow is dry (powder); the New Mexico sun and warmth; seldom any lift lines; challenging slopes. The Taos Ski Valley is primitive by some Colorado resort standards (not glitzy) which I like. It is for serious skiers, no snow boards. It is very European in culture.

>I still have a few friends who live in Seattle, so I know that they >had both a dry and warm summer. Keep in mind, the majority of homes >in Seattle do not have AC, so if the Temps get in the upper 80's to >low 90's for any period of time, people get a little testy and start >hoping for rain. True Seattlelites love the rain and think that is >the way it should be...IMHO that's crazy, as we worship the sun.

Very true. Around the end of July people were praying for rain as we went about 60 days without a drop of precipitation this summer. I'm definitely not one of those people that loves the rain but I don't mind it, so far. I still don't think I've experienced a true NW winter. I was visiting back in the winter of '98-99 and I think it rained pretty much everyday in January and February (probably when you decided you had enough!). People were going nuts. Luckily, last winter there was plenty of sunshine. It really was no different proportionately to winter in Saint Louis...other than temp.

The view of the Sound and the Olympics is great! Especially in June when the sunset lasts until about 11pm. I haven't made it up to Vancouver or Whistler yet. Let me know if you think of any other PNW travel tips.

mws26,

If you ever drive in the Edmonds area then go to Picnic Point and that is where we lived. Many of the houses are right on the bluff looking out onto Puget Sound. Our house was a couple blocks from the bluff.

Lots of things to see in Pacific NW. Vancouver is a beautiful city. I liked Portland, OR too. The Oregon coast line is awesome and I saw the whale that was in the Free Willie movies before he got moved. For what it was worth, none of us thought Keiko (whales real name) looked very healthy so we were happy when they moved him to his original home.

You will want to see Victoria, BC and be sure to do Buschart (SP?) Gardens while you are there and of course the high tea at the Empress.

Nothing in the Pacific NW was more impressive to me than to see Mt Rainier on a perfectly sunny day... simply awesome sight!

Roy, my name is Bob. I live in Alameda, CA. Good for Dave, I played with his younger by about 2 yrs. brother Stan. We used to hear a lot about Oakawvil from them. My bad on the website. It should be www.hardwoodknocks.com and you will need to have Quicktime to see the action. We used to be able to hear games on the web for free, no more. I'll pay when we can see any game on the web, anyone in high tech know how soon that will be? I am not very techie myself.

Edmonds seems like a really cool town - very quiet, laid back. I got lucky when I moved here and landed an apartment with a view of downtown, part of Elliot Bay and the mountain (on a clear day)!

I definitely need to make the drive down to the Oregon coast. I've been to the Washington coast but I've heard it doesn't really hold a candle to Oregon. My parents were in town this summer and we made it up to Victoria (via the Clipper) and Buchart Gardens. That place was packed!! I think I would have enjoyed it more if not for the bus loads of people strolling the walkways. in spite of the crowds, it was an impressive place.

The putrid dairy coop that I worked for had their office at Elliott Bay and we watched the July 4th fireworks from the office rooftop a couple years. The San Juan Islands are another OK place for you to visit. I had an encounter with a bald eagle who swooped down about 10 ft. from where I sat to eat the salmon that we had used as bait for catching dungeness crab.

Bob, Stan L lives in South County and Gil Beckemeier is a lawyer in Downtown St. Louis-sorry I can't help with Garrison and Strange, both from CBC. John Kilo, who you may remember, as a Billiken BB player a couple of years after you (and also went to CBC) is a lawyer in St. Louis who could probably help you connect with GG and JS if you wanted to call John at his office.