SLU season preview from CUSA Board

TheA_Bomb

One comment that Brad made at the Coaches' lunch this week, was that there are only 4 scholarship athletes this year that have any significant(more than a few minutes) playing time with the Billikens. You could make a case that Philip Hunt makes 5. He expressed concern about that lack of experience. Of course, in practice, Bryant and Johnson worked with the team last year, but did not gain any game experience. I really hadn't thought about it that way. As the ad says, a lot of jelling will have to take place, hopefully quickly.

I understand that only 4 or 5 returning players have extensive game experience. However, 8 players practiced together for an entire season. I believe Coach Brad is significantly ahead of where he was a year ago last June, when no one really knew or understood his offensive and defensive systems. Plus, the coach has a better understanding of what the returning players can and can't do. If Brandon Morris and Floyd McClain were here, the percentage of returning experience would have been worse, but SLU would have been a better team.

In this preview, Brad says: “With Josh Fisher having been around the block more than anyone, we expect a fine year from him defensively. He’s defended some of the best players in the country during his time.

“Drejaj has proven that he’s got what it takes. Sloan can defend. Reggie Bryant, Tom Frericks, Darrin Clarke and Ian Vouyoukas will determine whether we’ll be solid as a unit.”

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but I would guess this means we will go about eight deep this season, with the seven aforementioned players (Fisher, Drejaj, Bryant, Frericks, Clarke, and Ian) plus Izik getting the bulk of the PT. The two wildcards are JJ and Husak.

Whoever is the starting center will see 28-32 minutes a game, most likely Frericks. Husak and Ian will be strictly backups for Frericks, and possibly play the 4 in a big lineup. JJ should be Sloan's backup but don't discount Varner, he may see more minutes than he did last year. I see 2 of the 3, JJ, Ian and Husak, seeing alot of benchtime unless Frericks is totally ineffective.