Varner .... why?

jjray

I know the ages ... my point was we are not an exceptionally better team right now with JJ on the floor over Ross. To be a better team Brad has to make JJ play to the best of his abilities and to reach his potential ... to do this he must instill the proper work ethic ... Brad is doing the right thing by making JJ earn his minutes in practice.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know he's athletic and has a decent jumper. But is he playing tough enough inside? Is he defending inside? Haven't watched enough of him to draw a conclusion, but I question whether he's truly an inside player. Maybe he would be better off on the wing...

way to motivate him to put in more effort in practice. I believe Justin will eventually learn that he needs to be more self-motivated in practice in order to maximize his performance in games; however, right now the fact that Brad keeps telling him that isn't working. Maybe if he gets posterized during a game, though, he'll learn. Brad will be able to point out Justin's faults to him on tape and help him correct them in practice. Maybe Justin just requires somewhat different handling.

No, Brad doesn't have to change, but if he doesn't at least give the subtle adjustments a try, he may never get Justin to fulfill his potential.

>Yeah, I know he's athletic and has a decent jumper. But is

>he playing tough enough inside? Is he defending inside?

>Haven't watched enough of him to draw a conclusion, but I

>question whether he's truly an inside player. Maybe he

>would be better off on the wing...

Wing??? AJ, have you watched any of the games? The guy is 6'8" 220 with a long reach. I like what I see when he is guarding the post. With the long reach and fairly quick feet for a big man, he does a good job denying the entry pass. On the offensive end, I really like what I see. He plays within himself, takes open jumpers within his range, smooth shot, rotates the ball well the motion offense brings him to the head of the circle. There have even been glimpses of back to the basket post moves. I think he has the capability to develop the complete package ... just a bit light right now and maybe lacks a little confidence at times on the court.

From what has been reported on this board...it does not sound like he has enough range on his J to be playing on the wing. He's still a very young and raw but also one of the best athletes on this team. I'd hope that we will see this kid grow before our very eyes as a pretty serviceable 4.