Arena Donations

CL announced that she is expecting everyone in the athletic department to make a donation to the new arena. Coaches, secretaries, etc. I will say that people are not to happy about this. Her strategy I would guess is to tell people that her whole staff is on board donating, so you should to. I talked to a few coaches and they were not to happy about this. I can say that out of the 4 people I talked to in the department, all 4 were really upset they were being asked/told to do this. I think CL has done a good job so far but to anger the staff and coaches who are making below market value in their pay is a little overe the top.

just curious why department personell wouldnt want to contribute to the key aspect of the cash cow of the athletic dept?

btw, count me in the group that has been making those "voluntary" united way contributions myself for most of my adult life.

Todays mail brought a letter from Stephen H. Peterson, Assosiate V.P. - Alumni Relations at SLU offering me a FREE $5 gas card if I call Liberty Mutual for an auto insurance quote!

Hey that will buy me about 5 liters of petrol! Can I donate the $5 to the Arena?

I agree 100%. All of us have been making " (in)voluntary" donations to the United Way campaign that is a fact of life. By the way, how about all those cookies and candy bars you bought because it was sort of expected. These coaches/employees need to wake up and live in the real world. Besides, if the arena raises revenue it will also indirectly bring $ to non-revenue sports.

The United Way and the Arena are 2 entirely different things. Some of the coaches will be long gone when that arena is up and running. Seems like they are struggling to get donors if you have to ask coaches and secretaries who make $27,000 a year for a donation. I have never heard a school do this to have coaches take it out of their own pockets. I thought it was low class.

After all the university has done to bring this project to fruition, and it will be a wonderful arena with offices, practice facitlites, sports medicine offices, fitness and training rooms, beautiful locker rooms, etc, etc if you are telling the truth, which I question, then our coaches and staff should be ashamed of themselves. An effort by Cheryl to have 100% paticipation is a very important step in showing all concerned that this is a "team" effort. I am sure many of the staff will not be expected to give much but it is the thought and commitment that counts. Some of us will make big contributions and some will make small ones but we should all be willing to do something!

It's not the resonsibility for the coaches to give money to this arena. You must be kidding me with this post. What if your boss, who has tons of money, comes to you to give money for new desks in your office. Yeah you would be pissed to. SLU coaches are under paid and work long hours, They don't need to help fund an arena that will benefit Biondi. The coaches work countless hours and usually make up program shortcomings out of their own pockets anyway. Once again the Koolaide drinkers are clueless.

I AGREE

Most private educational institutions ask for participation by staff in any capital campaign...

and for one such as this...

where Cheryl took it from a basketball only facility to one that houses the whole dept...

it would take a pretty selfish person not to participate...this building will change the whole athletic culture at SLU, it will carry over to all sports.

well why not take the program shortcoming money this coming year and put it towards the arena? no one is a penny poorer. i am shocked you are taking this strong of a stance on this issue. my intial reaction is to question if you really want to work at slu or not? and if not, then you should leave. no one should have to work somewhere that they hate to be at and makes them that miserable.

I am sorry but it is time for you to enter the real world. Giving back, even if it is a very little, is the best thing for a person and an organization. We are all very blessed to have what we have. The people you describe are blessed. Maybe they can only afford a small amount but to get a little something from those who can only afford a little and more from those who can donate more is a key element of any successful campaign. We are all in this together!