Doogie inks some more premier footballers

Soccer Bills better be in the tourney next year. If they aren't Donnigan is lookin for work. Should have been fired after this sad campaign. Missing two NCAA tourneys in a row short of having th eteam die in a plane crash must be unacceptable at SLU.

Alright now lets not get all the bball fans who have no clue what goes on with soccer program spouting off, just because some people with no clue about bball mouth off. DD is a good coach and an excellent recruiter. Yes the last 2 years have been down, but there are some legitimate reasons. Injuries to big time players and the teams best players going pro. The Bills will be back

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

You are partly right, Skip, 'cept under Warming and Dan the team has been successful at massively underachieving. The last few years bear witness to what an NCAA team with no finisher will do. Early outs and injuries take their toll, but Dan has not recruited the stable of players to get them into the dance. At SLU, to boot.

In soccer, we are one of the elite programs. NC, Duke, and UCLA want to have our reputation, and Dan is letting the program go through nonqualifying mud.

OBTW, stop by the northern hill Saturday evening. We'll be picnicing on the slope!

I'm 100% right. You said he hasn't recruited the players to get to the dance. You are wrong ... 100% wrong. We haven't gotten to the dance, but the reasons are even remotely due to recruiting. Not only have we had to deal with an extreme amount of players leaving, we have had some big injuries. For example last year our starting keep barely played and Brian G., a former U17 nat'l player who really steady's the ball for us didn't play at all. Then add Will and Ward leaving before thier time. Very few programs can stand losing 4 of thier top 5 or 6 players and still make the tourney.

Not excuses just facts.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

No I can't fathom that scenario. I also can't fathom SLU NOT making the tourney, either. Maybe it is no longer allowed, but when I attended SLU, three of my friends on the soccer team were at SLU on academic schollies.

There should be more than a few strategies to retain middle top talent to blend with the top rate players that leave early. SLU has too good a history to settle with not making the tourney, which is exactly what we have been witnessing.

There will be 11 or 12 in the current class.

As far as not making the NCAAs, its obviously unacceptable but its soccer. All the bounces won't fall your way and you are going to stumble. There are a lot of excuses to say, but the future looks bright with this recruiting class. Look at the University of Notre Dame football team, they haven't won a bowl game in years and the pre-Weis era had a few Insight.com bowl games that were embarrassing. Now, everything is going their way!

The soccer program is in good hands with Donigan and Sorber and they will continue to bring quality student athletes to the program. Just remember though, success breeds good players, so they understand the pressure they are under. Soccer and Basketball at SLU is completely different so let's not compare the two sports.

Are we talking soccer or comparing the entire academic/athletic situation, because if we're talking about the latter, you obviously have your head up your ass. I went to SLU and my mom went to ND and I am a loyal fan of both institutions, but when you talk about academics, alumni giving percentages, facilities, etc., there is NO comparison. SLU will never make an attempt at coming close to ND. As much as Biondi talks about SLU being the #1 Catholic institution in the country, we need to set our sights on overtaking our sister schools BC and Georgetown before we can start to emulate Our Lady's University. Apples and oranges is a generous comparison.

I painfully read each post in this thread...lol....wow....where to begin....

First let me say that Bob Warming went to NCAA's in each of his 4 seasons, went to the Final Four and won 3 conference titles. Danny Donigan has won 4 conference titles, and has made the NCAA quarterfinals twice, and NCAA 3rd round. I think those accomplishments at a school with lesser commitment to Athletics during that time than many of its opponents speaks for itself. While on the topic of coaches...one must ALWAYS take into consideration many factors....did the coach get a new facility built under his or her watch? That should be positively reflected on them. How many professional players have they developed under their watch? Again ..another example of evaluating a coach....etc...let's move on for now...

I am a bit surprised and disappointed in Torch and Sheltiedave...I must say...first, we all need to stop the ..."Well, when I was in school..." ...when I was a kid we walked to school uphill backwards both ways barefoot in snow. etc....

First let's go back to Joey Clarke...he was fired for having one losing season....immediately the next season, new coach Bob Warming receives SLU's first ever full time paid assistant coach, among other help to the program. Imagine it, major D-1 school....mid 1990's with ZERO full time paid assistants. Laughable isn't the word. ...behind the times yes. So please stop with the when I was in school....

Next...look around the country...do a little homework in recent history...this is NOT 30 years ago...the rest of the country can play soccer....too. With all of this talk of Stemler to SLU or Marquette etc...older people on here will remember when Marquette was successful under Al McGuire and Hank Raymonds etc...and they recuited MANY NY kids city kids etc...back then...with McGuire's ties etc...guess what happened to them? The Big East conference among many other things...conference ball...and many of those kids went to Syracuse and the like after that....and recruiting was changed, a lot tougher.....I use this as one example because people don't understand you cannot say SLU soccer and people will fall over at your feet. NO. Does St. Louis have excellent youth soccer, yes. Is there great depth yes. However you can't just throw a good local high school soccer player on SLU or any other major D-I team and expect great things. Why? Because facts are...that a handful or more of local kids are GOOD enough for Major D-I....many go to middle of road D-I etc....SLU needs to recruit top local kids...not just ALL local kids. And find other pipelines....i.e. the club kids from California...that team was started by an ex St. Louisan and formerly coached by Kevin Grimes(if you don't know who Kevin Grimes is...then don't bother posting about college soccer here until you do) or Donigan's pro soccer connections with Hammes, Walls, etc...and so on....or Texas.

Look at the good teams, and notice that a lot of their kids are regionally based....which shows that most of the country has good local soccer....STL is in the upper end mix of youth talent...but no better than NJ/NY, Texas, CA, Mid-Atlantic, MD, Va etc....and more and more states are getting better. It is much better than hoops for recruiting local players sure. more depth and more high end players. But it isn't St. Louis or bust either.

Look at this class coming in....I am excited for Ream, Aranda etc...some of the others are non-scholarship players who will be hard pressed to be more than role players(I am speaking of the local kids not the other ones. Is this a good class, yes. I want to hear Aranda's name soon to complete it.

I don't have a major problem with the results two years ago....I do have a problem with this past year's results. I am confident the results will be much improved this season.

Donigan recruited a lot of players under Warming's time and the results are above...and as a head coach, his results are above.....Nobody is above criticsm.....but to say that Donigan should be gone after the past two seasons...I would not agree with that sentiment. I would also look at the local St. Louis kids who "got away" from Donigan and see how they are actually doing before criticism. Most haven't done much, a few have.

SLU has lack chemistry in its play the past couple of seasons....and that has been their problem. It is being addressed.

If Donigan fails to have a good season this year, I would be ready to visit the topic at that time. I am objective and fair....he has earned the right to be the coach this season...obviously if the team fails this year and next, he won't be around after that....and he knows that. But you have to look at results and causes of those results, and all factors when evaluating and where programming is going....etc...

SLU can be a major soccer power....which means top 25 yearly these days...and has been for much of Donigan's assistant and head time at SLU....and likely to return to that perch next season. And it is MUCH tougher to do today then 5-10 years ago let alone 30 years ago. No doubt about that. As I said, I am all in favor of someone else brought in if he continues to struggle. If anything I am objective on this. But why not hope for the best this season, because he deserves to coach this year, and enjoy a game.

Court, right on the money. All the points you made were right plus not to mention the continued feeling of behind the eight ball the coaching staff feels. Trust me they are still way behind what other programs get. Hell, Donigan still has to pay his cell phone bill because Biondi won't let coaches take that out of thier budgets. Not to mention they took Donigans car away. SLU is still way behind what other coaches get at schools that are not even close to what SLU has produced over the years. We won National Championships how long ago? Times have changed and Donigan still leads the crown jewel of the athletic department. Soccer will be fine. Dan is the right man for the job.

BTW Balls....in case you didn't hear recently a couple of weeks back... Joe Germanese is transferring to Duke, a good choice for him. He will help them immediately(doesn't have to sit outa year due to Vandy dropping men's soccer.) Similar school to Vandy...and Stanford another possibility has been down the past two seasons....makes sense for what he wants with school and soccer...had considered IU as well.

Like many others I am awaiting an announcemnet regarding Josh Aranda signing with SLU...imo easily the best local recruit for SLU this season. We shall see.