Recruiting Thread

Here is what we know so far as names and visit dates:

Adam Knollmeyer: visiting week of 4/17 with Stemler. Not sure of any other visits he will be taking. Remember reading UW-Mil and Mo St might also be on him.

Lance Stemler: visiting week of 4/17 with Knollmeyer. Other visits are Neb 4/14-4/16 and Marq 4/23. SLU, Marq are top 2 then Neb and George Washington still in the mix.

Reggie Larry: visiting week 5/5-5/7. Also visited Marshall 4/7-4/9. Houston 4/14-4/16, Boise St 4/21-4/23, and Butler 4/28-4/30. JUCO 6'5 1/2" power forward type.

Lounceny Kaba: SLU listed with a lot of schools. No spring visit dates listed on scout site. JUCO 4.

Calvin Walls: SLU still being listed on rivals, but scout only listing Tulsa, Utah St(these two with visits) and UW-Mil.

George Fotso: SLU still listed at rivals site, but cannot find any news. Only playing basketball a couple of years, I am guessing he might go prep or JUCO route to develop game.

Marcus Sikes: valleytalk message board had that he verballed to Bradley.

Casey Crawford: Has verballed to Wake Forest after visit, will sign next week.

Otis Polk: committed to Bowling Green.

Any updates or other names, pass them on.

I fear that SLU will not get any of these gentlemen to sign a LOI. It's still "early" in the late signing period, but I'm not putting much hope into this recruiting class. Knollmeyer is probably headed to Missouri State. However, I am expecting some big pickups from the c/o 2007.

SLU's coaches should be in Arkansas right now looking at several regional prospects such as 6'9 PF David Sanchez, Lucas O'Rear, 6'7 SF Andrew Kueker, Jeremy Felton, and of course Leon Powell.

Charlotte has 6 commits, 5 of which are signed. We have one signee. How are we supposed to compete in this league, let alone nationally? http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb...restNodeIds=434

The following link will take you to the commits in the A10 conference. http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2006

Look at how we stack up. The teams we beat have gotten better. How much better have we gotten

I am not sure why you think Knollmeyer is going to Mo St. I haven't heard him mentioned on valleytalk at all, it sounds like Mo St is mostly looking at a couple of JUCOs that are 3/4 types. I just did a quick check of their roster and they have Frazier 6'10" and Richards 6'9" back as juniors and a redshirt King also 6'10". I think if Knollmeyer goes to Mo St he is probably looking at a redshirt and playing little as a freshman.

I don't know what his role would be at SLU, but even if he would redshirt, he would be Husak primary backup the following season. He could even see minutes this year at the 4 spot.

I would like to see two of the above signed. Knollmeyer and Stemler seem to be the two favorites. Fotso could be a fallback if Knollmeyer doesn't come, but he would probably need a redshirt. Kaba and Larry seem to be fallback types if Knollmeyer and Stemler don't come, but I don't think we take two JUCOs in this class. Knollmeyer and Fotso are the two high school players, since we have heard so little about Fotso, I am guessing we are expecting Knollmeyer to be ours.

If we sign both Stemler and Knollmeyer, I would expect Knollmeyer to be given a chance to play at the 4, at least in fall practice and then decide if he should redshirt or not. Stemler would probably be our 3, but could play the 4 in our four guard lineup, this is where I would love to see a junk defense like a 1-3-1 or something. Of course it goes without saying that I hope Meyer steps up his game and we have a good competition to see who starts and plays. It also goes without saying that I am expecting JJ to be under 10 minutes a game which is why Knollmeyer could see minutes at the 4.

With Knollmeyer and Stemler visiting this week, I hope to hear good news at some point this week. If anyone finds out how the visits go, let us know.

I was reading through some posts on a couple of Nebraska message boards and it seems most think Stemler will be playing the 4 for them. Also they have signed two in the Spring so far, a 6'7" and a 6'5" wings. Given who they have signed it does seem that Stemler would be penciled in more for the 4 spot than the 3. From what I remember about their roster and style, their 4 is usually more of an outside presence on the offensive end which would fit Stemler. I know their starter at 4 graduated and a JUCO they brought in at the 4 is transferring after 1 season. Obviously the JUCO was a disappointment for them and most posters see Stemler as replacing this player.

On Nebraska's rivals site one of the moderators or whatever they are called there said that he would have a report up Tues about Stemler's visit. I am not sure if this will be avaliable for everyone or just those subscribing to rivals.

nebraska would have fought dayton and richmond for 12th place in the a-10 last year. i wouldnt take much from that.

VTime I think you need to re-read my post. I said that posters on message boards were saying Stemler would play the 4 spot. I found this interesting because I am guessing that the people on these message boards have probably never seen Stemler play while at least a few of our posters have.

That being said the offense that Nebraska runs, which sometimes might not even qualify as an offense, does allow for their 4 to get outside looks. Wilkinson this year, Conklin and Drevo in the past all had good outside shots, so from that stand point I could see where Stemler might play the 4 on offense. On defense though this is where our posters that have seen him don't think he would be successful at the 4. I haven't seen Stemler play so I am just going off what others have said, so I could be wrong.

By the way I have no idea what the Nebraska coaches are thinking either as far as where Stemler would play. Also their 6'7" wing had verballed earlier, but was reconsidering before this weekend and did finally sign his LOI today. They do still have 1 scholarship to give, but not sure if Stemler is still the priority after they secured their wing or not. Their message board posters are all saying get Stemler for the 4, but don't know if that is what the coaches are saying.

I agree 100%. People on this board think he is not a pf. I can't figure out why people don't just except the fact that next year where ever he goes he will be a pf (whether it be in the BIG EAST, BIG TWELVE, OR POSSIBLY THE BIG TEN) If these people at this level (Top 50 Programs) then why can't he be a pf in the mighty A-10. Everybody talks about how he can't defend, well I have done some research. Since all the people who "Really know him and have seen him play" seem to have watched him play vs. Southeastern Illinois, lets look at those games. I got the stats from the Southeastern newspaper and heres what I found:

1. Brown (6'8 255lbs.) Game 1 17pts

(#6 Juco Junction) Game 2 6pts

(Georgia Sign) Game 3 19pts

Total= 42pts

2. Dotson (6'9 255lbs.)Game 1 0pts

(Presean All-Amer.) Game 2 9pts

(South. Miss. Sign) Game 3 8pts

Total= 17pts

3. Hay (6'5 265lbs.) Game 1 0pts

Game 2 7pts

Game 3 9pts

Total= 16pts

4. Stemler (6'8 210lbs)Game 1 30pts

Game 2 24pts

Game 3 25pts

Total= 79pts

Now lets see if my math is correct I think that is Game 1 (3 Players) with 17pts and stemler with 30. Game 2 (3 Players) with 22pts and stemler with 24. Game 3 (3 Players) with 36pts and stemler 25. Now that is (3 Players) with 75pts and Stemler with 79. Set Match Stemler...P.S. I believe SWIC did win all three games.

Roy, where are these 6'4 pf you speak of? Oh right maybe they were at 3rivers, olney central, kaskaskia, minereal area and the list goes on.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but how can top 50 programs be this wrong. I understand the occasional one here and there but you have to many other programs that think he is a pf, why would slu do something that other people don't do. Even GW thinks he is a pf.

Roy, are you kidding me!!! You compare teams in the A-10 with those in the Big 12. Please tell me you were being sarcastic with that? While SLU was home thinking about their offensive fire powered lose with 39pts vs. St. Joe's, Nebraska was playing in the Big 12 Tournament semi-finals. How can you make that comparison. Maybe both conferences should get together and have a BIG 12 vs. A-10 matchup like the ACC/BIG 10 Challenge?

How the hell do you know what GW thinks.

I've seen him play and he is a serious offensive player ... yes he can shoot. But he is not your prototypical 4. IF we signed him and no other 4 next year he would probably play it for us next year. But the best thing for Lance would be to play the 3. That's why the people on this board wish we would sign another 4. A 6'7" rebounding defensive force.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

sorry storm, after the top 3 teams, the big 12 has nothing on the a-10 imo (AND THAT AINT SAYING MUCH AS THE A-10 SUCKED LAST YEAR) the fact that nebraska somehow got that far speaks volumes. the big 12 has been on the down slide for the last two seasons.

first off, what top 50 program is recruiting stemler as a pf? marquette will play him on the wing as well. nebraska was the 129th ranked team last season.

as to the 6'4" pf's he was outplayed INSIDE the entire game vs southeastern in the playoff game and swic was down over 20 at the half. only when stemler went outside and got away from the basket did the team come back and win. but all three of the southeastern inside players were better than stemler on the inside.

i dont know why you are fighting what i am saying. i agree stemler would be an excellent wing. he shoots as good as anyone except lisch on the current billiken team. but he will be eaten alive under the basket. as a pf he is a backup his remaining college days. as a wing he has a chance to be something special.

we need this kid and others who can score and for any local kid who wants to see his name in the Post Dispatch or Sporting News-Saint Louis is a major market that could lead to TV or sprts show jobs for the future; we already have the two best TL and KL and an allstater coming from the East

Side. Romar tried recruting top ball players with bad academics and couldn't place third. Wasn't it bad boy Darius Miles, who walks out on his NBA team that Romar wanted so badly? Stemler is a shooter we will have to have guards looking for long rebounds if DM and Stemler are added to the mix; by the way Bryce does rebound and block shots-he seems to be more threatening to lay up opponents and short jumpers than I. V. Also

BM Nebraska handled Marquette, easily, in there only head to head last year.

Lots of kids who want to go to SLU for a Jesuit education end up at Marquette when they can't qualify for SLU-non basketball players- you probably think we should lower the bar for intramural sports, too

they had an RPI last year of 96 and were 19-13. They were in the NIT which is more than can be said for us. They had a 1 point loss to UAB and a win over Marquette in addition to a 6th place finish in the Big 12. in all likelihood, they would have been in the top 4 of the A-10.

i looked at the non-conf rpi. my mistake. i do not think they would have finished top 4 in the a-10 though. a good example of the rpi blessing the rest of the league for the likes of texas, kansas and oklahoma.

>Lots of kids who want to go to SLU for a Jesuit education

>end up at Marquette when they can't qualify for SLU-non

>basketball players- you probably think we should lower the

>bar for intramural sports, too

As someone pretty firmly in the know on this issue, I can honestly tell you that you are so full of BS that it is coming out your ears. You do not know what you are talking about if you truly believe that.

Anyways, good luck on Stemler. It sounds like he'll likely go to either SLU or MU. He'll get a great Jesuit education either way. I do hope he chooses MU, not because we necessarily need him on next year's roster, but it would be nice to bring in another shooter, after Novak and Chapman leave. My worry is that we really need a rebounding big man, but if Stemler can at least defend the 4 and shoot it, he's worth a scholarship. At either SLU or MU, though, he'll get a great education and will contribute on the court.

Just so you guys know, April 23rd is our men's basketball awards banquet. Crean often brings spring recruits and/or signed players when that event is taking place, as it is a great feel-good event and the player will get a great chance to interact with nearly all his future teammates. Whether this will make a difference to Lance, hard to say and time will tell, but just thought I'd add that fact, as Crean definitely scheduled Lance when he did for a reason.

There is a Stemler article at the Nebraska rivals site regarding his visit. You have to be a member in order to read it, which I am not. If anyone is a member and could summarize it without causing any trouble, don't know rules regarding this per rivals. I did see that he missed the spring football game which is a big deal at Nebraska though.