Big East

Jayhawk

Cincinnati lost to both Dayton and Xavier.

Cincinnati had 8 big east wins. 7 against the bottom half, one at home against West Virginia.

Cincinnati lost by 11 to UConn, 19 to Syracuse, 17 to Louisville, 19 to Georgetown, 20 to Pitt, and 10 to Seton Hall.

they did beat LSU. their only big ooc win.

Cincy....Actually wins over the 3rd and 4th place Big East teams...plus the wins over LSU and at Vandy.

Nonetheless a bubble team...more deserving than Air Force, Utah State and possibly one or two others, sure.

Kirkland was one of their best players and I am sure the commitee looked at how that has affected their team. A win over Syracuse in conference tourney and they are probably in as opposed to Syracuse.

MO State's only quality non-conference win...was at UWM...and that was a game in which one of best players on UWM didn't play due to injury. And, UWM would not have been a tourney team this year at large.

Bradley is the head scratcher, finished 6th in league, didn't get the automatic, and non-conference wins..maybe their two point win over Western Ky, or 1st game of year vs down DePaul team.

GW? beat Maryland, that's it. They dominated their league so they got the invite

UAB is same dominated their weak league...non-conference best win was vs Nebraska.

Cal...same thing...10 plus league wins from good conference...ooc Sd St maybe best win.

Air Force bad conference...best wins were Miami and a down year G Tech.

Texas A&M zero non-conference wins of merit...but double digit bigger conference wins.

Utah St...weak confereence but double digit conf wins...zero ooc wins..

Even a KU who obviously should be where they are...only beat Cal and Ky as ooc wins...but obviously won their league and league tourney. Not knocking their seed at all just provding example.

Ioaw has one ooc win over KY

Even Ohio St only has two St. Joes and LSU.

So...it seems if you had 10 wins in a major conference regardless if it was a down year for that conference, you get in....... just a couple of losses in weaker conference...maybe 12 wins...it gets you in...

Cincy finished 8-8 in the best conference this year, and lost in 1st round in conf tourney. They beat a couple of strong conference teams, and couple solid ooc wins. A few close losses like Vilanova, Syracuse in conf tourney..etc..bumped them out. But if Cincy wins ONE more oncference game or ONE game in conf tourney they get in. Obviously they are probably a better team than some of the above who got in....but ....Big East got a record 8 teams...and even though they say they don't look at that, they do...how many from a conference...injured player...etc...

It seems you can finish 2nd or 3rd in reg season in weak conference, and play zero ooc quality teams, as long as you win 12 or more conf games or so...and not lay egg in your conf tourney....you can get in. Also, if you can win 10 games in traditional power conference, you are in regardless of anything else.

For my taste the conference tourney is for giving one team one last shot at the dance by winning conf tourney...I think people get too caught up in conf tourney. Reg season should be held in higher regard. The interesting cases are schools from a weak league, don't win league or conf tourney...some iffy selections there.

MO State can discuss RPI, but really not a lot else. And there are other factors besides RPI.

Cincy needed one more conf tourney win or reg season win, but not much.

I agree "reg season should be held in higher regard" I think it is a joke a team can play all year and win their league ... have 1 bad game or an injury and they are out and another team that has no business being in is in.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

The real head scratcher for me was Air Force. I told my wife that I thought her UT Vols got a gift with the No. 2 seed...that is, until I heard some of the sports dudes talking up Winthrop.

The common themes for selection Sunday are the team(s) that get in that people don't think should, and the ones that did not who people think got the shaft. It will be interesting to see who cinderella is this year. Frankly, I think they should make Thursday and Friday of this week National Holidays, as I doubt a lot of important work gets done.

Finally, it seems that UCONN is the popular pick of the talking heads. Anyone want to bet the field?

When Romar won the CUSA conf. tourney did you think the same way? I can go either way with this issue. The bottom line is - you have to win as many as you can period and you can not have a bad stretch at the end. Courtside gave a very accurate assessment particularily about SMS - they simply did not close the deal when they needed to in the conf. tourney by making it to the finals. He is also correct about Bradley - I am sorry that makes no sense to me but like I said earlier - Bradley got SMS's bid.

1st to Cheese, ...the difference is SLU won their league tourney...sure UC had the injury etc...SLU wasn't a middle of league or worse team that also did not win the league tourney. Bradley lost the league tourney and was in 6th place. Syracuse earned their way....especially in that conference....and won the tourney...I have no problem with that. I do however think there is no way Syracuse should have a seed better than say 7 or 8 at best.

And Schasz...the only reason why Winthrop isn't talked up even more...is that surprisingly they lost a few conference games...though winning league and league tourney......but if the Vols don't bring it they'll get beat. It has the possibility of being a very rare 2-15 upset. The 2 seed was shocking to me.

What matters most are matchups as opposed to seeds for those in....

>And Schasz...the only reason why Winthrop isn't talked up

>even more...is that surprisingly they lost a few conference

>games...though winning league and league tourney......but if

>the Vols don't bring it they'll get beat. It has the

>possibility of being a very rare 2-15 upset. The 2 seed was

>shocking to me.

>

they lost 2 league games, both to Coastal Carolina, who they beat in the Big South title game. Winthrop is a very fundamentally sound, tough team who can crash the boards. The big Kiwi they have had 10 NBA scouts checking him out when they knocked off Marquette and their guards can break the UT press. UT will not make it past the first weekend but will probably beat Winthrop (though not by much).

I was happy we were in ... but do I think it was fair ... no. I also don't think it is fair that X is in this year. They don't deserve a bid ... I understand that is the way it is though. I just wish there was a more balanced formula used to determine the automatic berth.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman