Offense &Defense Changes Needed

Big Al 1

Offense---Set some screans for our 3 point shooters... Move the ball faster in the halF court with sharp passes in the motion offense (we dribble slowly and let the defense catch up)...Correct our poor free-throw shooting...Improve our offensive rebounding...Get a power forward and a 3 point shooter...Learm how to finish...Use the 35 seconds better...Develop better in-bounds techniques.

Defense--- Forget the pack down scheme we are giving up too many open looks...Use the zone at times against certain teams...Use the trap defense when feasible...Block out better on defensive boards...Avoid loosing your man and giving up easy buckets as we have seen.

(I think Brad needs more of an open mind on some of these things and must improve on getting his team ready to plsy.)

big al said,

" Move the ball faster in the halF court with sharp passes in the motion offense (we dribble slowly and let the defense catch up)..."

that also lets ian catch up.

Big Al,

I believe some of your stated strategies worked well when you coached Saint Angela Merici's 8th grade to the CYA city championship back in '89!

The Bills won only 5 games during the freshman season of Highmark, Claggs, Grant, Bickel, Winfield, Grawer. That team, early on, included Dillard (Senior) Carlos Skinner (Jr) and Melvin Robinson (Soph).

After Coach Grawer was fired, we added Waldman, Dobbs and a few role players to Highmark and Claggs and went to 2 NCAA's. I think good times are closer than we think!

Your son Dave

This is an Idiotic Idea. Coach gets the most out of the talent he has. You can't do some things that others schools do because of the talent level. A lot of guys at SLU are good Role players. Coach knows what he is doing, so unless you tell me why he doesn't I am not going to believe it. We had 10 wins in the A-10. Did anyone hosestly expect that?

I would like to see screens set; but I would also like shooters who could run non stop on the motion offense and recognize a screen and shoot the three. Drejaj and VN were out of shape and slow most of their careers and Drejaj was 0 for 6 on the the last game and if Lisch had not made a desparation 3 at the end of the game we would have gone 0 for the entire game; we have

all seen the Adam Morrisons and the coach's son from Valparaiso a few years ago that could pop out at a predictable spot and his teamate find him for the assist pass and guess what they made the shots 55 percent of the time; we need shooters; nothing blows the oppositons defence like made shots and we had a small run this year and next year it could get better

Waldman and Dobbs were hardly role players - Waldman was a great 3 pt bomb shooter and he handled the ball as well as any guard. His passes were outstanding. Dobbs, was a very good rebounder and he played tough in the paing both defensively and on the offensive side. If you think we have to find two players of their caliber to get better - then that will be a tall order.

booster, i am not saying ian is pacing himself. i made the above comment to say that if a clear determined fast break opportunity doesnt exist, that it is stupid for a team to still continue to the basket when you have the likes of ian coming up the floor yet. it is my opinion that it is smarter to wait for ian before attacking than to attack the basket in a 3 on 3 or less scenario. thus the reason we sometimes pull back rather than continue on.

there is no way anyone can claim this year's team didnt attack the basket off of turnovers and rebounds more than any team probably since hughes was here. so we do take what is there imo.

i wish we had an adam morrison or bryce drew as well. for the record, kevin lisch will be more than bryce drew by the time he is a senior imo. adam morrisons dont come along nationally very often let alone for any particular program.

Yes, I most honestly expected 10. I actually expected us to go undefeated in the A-10. No reason we shouldn't have either.

Besides winning a few games down the final stretch, the best thing that may have improved our NIT chances was the Missouri State's failure to make the Field of 65. Let's go Bills!

------------------------------------------------------------

*Official Billikens.com sponsor of Mike Beczkala