What happend in 1987?

STLfan

Rich was my teammate at SLUH. The year after I graduated he led the Jr. Bills to the Class L State Championship over Bill Bradley's Crystal City team. I was sorry I missed his coaching at SLU, but did go down and saw them lose to Santa Clara one of the last years he coached here.

I was at that game at Santa Clara too.

That was Rich Grawer's last year at the helm, when Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, and Julian Winfield were all freshmen. And that was Melvin "Big Chill" Robinson's last game as a Billiken. He was in foul trouble throughout the game with those touch foul WCC refs, fouled out, and walked off the court, never to don the Blue and White again.

I'll always remember Rich Grawer for starting his kid and Winfield's instead of Claggett and for Spoon out coaching him

whenever we played SMS. Why did SLU fire him? Lisch and Liddell could have a great 4 years and bring a stream of local talent who want to be in the post and on local TV; guys like Sloan

Highmark, Douglas, Claggett are still recognized by the fans and

are great young men; count Joe Wiley and lots of older guys in the stands who played and still back the bills; you can't do that if you play in a cornfield for State U

That if Rich Grawer did not take the SLU job and work his tail off once he did that we would not still be enjoying D-1 basketball. The program was in a shambles and he was a big reason why we did have some real success stories. While he had his faults and don't we all...this Billiken fan will be forever thankful to Rich for the job he did.