More JJ and Tonight's Game

I guess I should apologize in advance to the board for bringing this up, but as a loyal Billiken, who wants only the best for the alma mater, I feel compelled to do so.

Arizona Coach Lute Olson has reinstated 6'4" guard Chris Rodgers from his approximate one month banishment from the team, and he will be eligible to play for Arizona tomorrow night in Berkeley against Cal. (I have procured two tickets for that game.) Rodgers was averaging 10.8 ppg before the ban.

Now query, if a coach with the stature of Lute Olson can reinstate a player like Rodgers, then why cannot our Coach Soderberg let JJ out of his doghouse? I still think we need JJ to compete and win. Again, I want SLU and Coach Soderberg to succeed.

As for tonight, quite frankly this game at Duquesne scares me very much. It is a must win situation for the Billikens. But playing an also ran like Duquesne (3-19,1-10) on the road in a virtually empty venue seems frought with peril. Let's hope the Billikens come to play tonight.

Go SLU.

i am sure that just as soon as justin johnson begins doing exactly what coach soderberg wants him to do all the time, if his pt is warranted he will play.

you are asking the wrong person to fix this. it isnt coach soderberg. it is justin johnson.

I'm hoping someone on this board knows the Coach or JJ, or both, and can talk to one of them about this situation.

I haven't even studied Temple, as I'm concerned enough about Duquesne. But I'm sure Temple will have a big, bruising front line of bigs. And that East Coast match-up zone, ... let's hope someone other than Kevin Lisch can hit some outside shots. Anthony Drejaj may be a big key to success on Saturday night.

But first thing is first, and let's beat Duquesne tonight.

the only thing I can think of why JJ doesn't play is that he doesn't know how to be a role player. After all this time and all his bench time, I don't think JJ deliberately tries to go against coach tells him to do. I just think it's not normal for him to be a role player. for example, if Coach tells him to go out and box out, rebound, and play great D and do ONLY that. I think JJ may know that is his role but then for whatever reason he'll find himself in situations where he'll be open or think the best option is to shoot. Maybe he feels if he can step up offensively too that he'll get more time and be more than a role player. Just thoughts I had. If not easy for some to tone down what they've been doing there whole life. We saw Lisch struggle offensively in the beginning because he had to hold back. More and more he's been playing his game and becoming the offensive threat he can be. Whether it's adrenaline, nerves, too much thinking, or not thinking at all, JJ hasn't got it figured out. He needs to do and only do what Coach asks whatever it may be. Unfortunately, I think JJ needs to play consistently to get the feel of that role on this team and it will only happen that way. Playing JJ sporadically and sometimes not at all I think hurts JJ more. Every time he gets in the game I feel like he is starting over. I think he would be a great role player but needs the time to get into that role. Will he ever get the chance. I'm not so sure now. I love Luke and I think Coach knows Luke has accepted his role on this team despite what his role has been his whole life. Luke has even addressed this in interviews. Coach will ask Luke to do specific things and I think Coach knows Luke has a better chance of delievering on just those things than JJ does even despite Luke's size and playing way out of position.

Roy I don't totally agree. Your throwing this totally on JJ. I don't know what the problems and from what I read no one on this board does. That said your suggesting that the coach has to be right in his judgement. Brad may have his prejudice against JJ where he's not getting a true picture of the situation. Sometimes you have to compromise for the overall good. Don't tell me you never backed off from a conflict[disagreement} with a family member. Again I don't know any particulars but your being unfair to throw it all on JJ.

most players are "role players" first and then gravitate to being more dominant. but you are saying that after nearly 4 years, justin isnt getting to play because he doesnt know how to be a "role player"?

if that is true, and after almost 4 years he cant figure it out, someone needs to show him the door. i find it hard to believe that no one from the coaching staff has explained it to him after almost 4 years.

you all are barking at the wrong dog. i sincerely doubt this is coach soderberg's fault. you all need to be asking justin to do what needs to be done. not sit around and wait for the world to come to his doorstep.

I have seen Temple play a couple times this year. When he wants to Cheaney goes to his "goon squad" and they are HUGE. If I remember correctly they have three guys Ian's size or bigger. They get very physical and make scoring inside nearly impossible. We are going to have to step it up from outside and TOmmie will have to be aggressive getting into the zone and kicking out to open shooters.

While they are a big physical team, the biggest match-up problem with Temple is Mardy Collins. I would love to see KL on him but Collins is 6'6 and could shoot over him. TL will probably get that assignment.

To beat Temple JJ will have to be a factor to combat some of their size. Meyer, though you know the effort he will give will be impressive, will get pummeled.

Maybe we even see the twin tower scenario everyone has been proposing. If there was a game to do it, this would be it.

we'll have to agree to disagree.

every sports team i ever played on the inmates had zero say. the coach's word was final. and i did whatever was asked of me for the good of the team.

coach soderberg seems to me to be a man that would be obsessed with winning. he would do all he could to be successful. i find it hard to believe he is depriving johnson of his opportunity unwarranted. i also find it hard to believe he hasnt outlined exactly what justin johnson needs to do to be successful as a player as well.

some kids just dont get it. and to be honest, it is remarkable to me that he is still a billiken. i assume he really wants a slu diplomna because nothing else makes sense. this is the most obvious stalemate i have ever witnessed and after all this time, it appears it aint gonna change either way.

I agree its probably not going to change and thats where i feel Brad may be at fault. I'm not suggesting that Brad allow JJ to get away with loafing at practice or crap like that, but if its a matter of shot selection or running the wrong play you sometimes have to look the other way. I watch JJ very closely when he's in the game,only in the UMAS.game did I feel like he didn't contribute. I am convinced we would have beaten Dayton had he played over Vashun. As Whitey once said to Rich Grawer don't ever dicipline a player to the extent that is cost you a ball game.

B-Roy, I think you and I were at SLU at almost the same time. Do you remember my good college friend, Dick Missavage? Missavage was 6'5", from McClure North, and a great shooter. He was about 10 years ahead of his time or so, as there was no 3 point rule then. Ekker banished Sav to the end of the bench for 3 1/2 years, and only really gave him a chance after everyone knew that Ekker was gone during our Senior year. I will never forget the Sav out there guarding Keith Lee of Memphis State.

I saw part of the game last night, Temple powdering St. Joe's. They looked intimidating, and with a minute to go, St. Joe's had 36 points, not for lack of trying. When I saw St. Joe's here almost a month ago, at that time I thought they took it to us pretty good, and that was our worst performance I had seen this year. Temple plays great, physical defense and they will know how to defend us, I am very certain of that.

On ESPN last night they were heavy on saying Temple needs to win out to make the big dance. I do not know how realistic that is, but the point I want to make is that Temple will be highly motivated and confident for Saturday night. I would consider beating Temple on Saturday pretty much as big a win as the 2 W's against Xavier, although I am sure some of you will think I am crazy to say that.

Are we up to the challenge? I sure hope so.

Is the team looking ahead a little to Temple, and thus expecting cupcake city tonight? I sure hope not.

I don't think you are crazy at all by saying this game will be bigger than beating X. Not because Temple is that much better, but because we will have more trouble matching up with them then we would with any other team in conference besides GW.

Our tendency to shoot horribley vs. their tremendous zone does not look like a good match-up.

We can definitely pull it off, but it will take a real soild effort.

Either I implied the wrong thing or you read it wrong. Regardless, the intent of my post was not to put the blame on coach. If I said JJ doesn't know how to be a role player, then I'm saying that JJ needs to learn how. You can say all you want about 4 years playing and still not knowing. But, how many minutes of game time has JJ seen in his 4 years. Most players are role players? Sure they are, but define that first. Even the go to guy is a role player. That would be his role. All I am saying is that some guys can't adjust to the role they are given. How many great high school players never make an impact at the collegiate level? Tons! Even after 4 years it may never happen. Show him the door? Bottom line is that nobody knows what the JJ situation is and we only speculate. That being said, if JJ never gets consistent playing time we'll never do anymore than speculate as we'll never know.

DoctorB, a win over Temple indeed would be huge. Although the win at the time at Xavier was very big too, as Xavier had just beaten Cincinnati and was about to be ranked in the Top 25, the way things stand now, if SLU can beat Temple, it would have to rank as the biggest win of the year. And you are also right in that the Billikens cannot look past Duquesne tonight. First things must come first, and we have to take one game at a time, to pardon the cliche. I'm particularly concerned about tonight's game.

The Temple team is enigmatic, much like Temple's veteran coach, John Chaney. We have to hope that Temple is just a little off its game after the plane ride. For years Temple has played that East Coast match-up zone defense, and a key to beating any zone defense is good outside shooting, along with good ball movement.

just a little after me. i was a senior with david burns.

for the record, i have a hard time viewing any lessons learned if ekker was involved in the story regardless of the outcome. i see ekker's name and my temperture starts rising to the point i cant think straight.