Why didn't Tommie take that last shot in regulation???

AlumniFan

>Tommie is playing the same way he played in high school with

>similar results. I'll take that. I don't know why BRoy and

>Taj ever had visions of Larry Hughes in their head when he

>was never that type of player. He is a little better than

>Sammy Mejia was a freshman, though, which is pretty damn

>good.

I don't know 3Star, when you see the skills Tommie displays it's hard not to think of Larry Hughes. The biggest difference I see is attitude and the lack of an outside shot (although Larry severally sprained his right wrist in his first exhibition game for us, played the whole year with it taped, thus not allowing him to shoot from the perimeter as he was capable). I see your point though. Tommie has not been a consistent "scorer" anywhere he has played--E. St. Louis, the Eagles, Hargrave--and Larry was a scorer par excellence. Different types of players but Tommie's skill set is so impressive ... if he can just develop a perimeter game or a jumper out to 17 feet he'll be unstoppable.

jalejarr, i have patiently been awaiting you weighing in on liddell last night. i am glad we pretty much agree.

imo, it is an insult to tommie to make "he's only a freshman" excuse for him. he is far too talented to let that pass.

us that see tommie on a different level hate his passiveness and any underachieving in our eyes. sure it may sound hard/cold. but in reality what tommie should worry about is the day we do accept those instances. that means we dont believe he is better than that or we have given up.

at some point it is going to sink in. "hey i just drove by an all conference player". or "hey, they are saying this guy is going to be an nba star and i outplayed him for that game/half, etc"

there are a lot of players that have been deemed to have nba talent. i can also remember guys that made a long living in the nba that didnt seem as talented as many of the other players that were long gone (eric snow and bruce bowen come to mind) yet the effort and consistency that they give night after night makes them a wanted commodity.

there are other tommie liddelllike talents out there. what is tommie going to bring that makes him standout? sure he might be the most talented player on the billikens, however there are about 350 players in division one basketball that can say they are the best player on their team. he can be more.

jjray, i agree tommie has to develop better game from 15 feet out, however more than that, he has to develop the mindset to take charge at the right time and be selfish and unselfish at the same time and at the right times. i dont know if that is taught/learned. maybe it is something that a player just has or not. almost like seeing the game in slow motion but being able to play at full speed.

>Damn, I am glad you are not my uncle. That is tough love.

>;)

I hope I'm not coming off too hard but last year he took in a game at Savvis, he observed that all of SLU's players were afraid to shoot. Fast forward one year, the ball and the game within his grasp and he defers. When Tommie went to the hoop I believe he had no intentions of shooting. Any good player knows you never leave your feet unless you intend to shoot. Someone said he had a bad angle for the shot. True if he shot it left-handed, however Tommie can make plays with his right hand. The reverse layup was possible or he could have gotten into the body of the defender. It is no coincidence that the ball is in Tommie's hand at the end of most games. When he had the ball my thoughts went back to the last high school game of his career vs Carbondale. Instead of going for the dunk he attempted a finger roll. He missed. Tommie needs to be more decisive, too many thoughts running through his head. F- it cut the Gordian Knot.

I agree with and said last night ... Tommie has to take that shot. If the ball was in DB's hands he has to take that shot, same with Kevin ... take the ball strong and win or lose the game. If he shoots and misses so be it. Tommie has so much talent and so many skills, he just needs that killer instinct. I do though believe as he gets older more mature and more consistent he will become more confident and take that shot. He is in his 14th game at the D1 level, yes he has things to learn. He will.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

If we're not going to use the he's only a freshman excuse, what about Lisch? Roy, you were among those who were really touting this kid. He's had his share of ups and downs, which I'm ok with for a freshman, but be consistent about it. Has Lisch lived up to the lofty expectations you had for him so far? It seems like you are a lot harder on Tommie than Kevin.

Let's just hope that they learned something valuable that they can take to the rest of their season and apply when it will really matter.

Who knows: if we make it to the tourney, these close losses to ranked teams could be the educational difference to getting past the first round :)

Optimism: The Right Stuff

I'll say this about lisch, he has had his ups and downs, but he has some big balls. he took the last shot against gonzaga, which didn't fall, but that's okay. he took it with full confidence. when he got the opporunity again against st. bonnie, he jumped up and stuck a game-tying three with the long-armed kid from st. bonnie flying at him (who had blocked five shots already). If you remember, kevin was 1-6 from the field at the time, but his confidence didn't waver, he shut that out and stuck the 3 and saved the game.

bad boyz for life

We will start winning these games when we have three or four players willing to stick it. It took Ian two years to mature, but he no longer hesitates when he has a clear look, or is in traffic- he jams it. Kevin willingly steps up and lets fly. Hopefully Danny is coming out of his soph funk and is gaining confidence. I'm sure someone will light a fire under Tommie's adz and he'll reach the rack the next time.

However, he was the one who was five or so feet from the basket with a few seconds remaining. I am not asking Tommie to take the last shot, I am asking why, given that Tommie drove to the basket and elevated, didn't he take the shot? If Lisch had been in Tommie's position, I would have asked the same about Kevin. If Brown had been in Tommie's position, I would have asked the same about Danny. If Ian had been in Tommie's position, etc.... and so on.

Kevin and Danny are coming around from outside. If Drejaj ever gets healthly, we may have three outside threats. Just think how much that will open things up for Ian!!!!

lisch isnt close to what i expected, however, i have all all along advised that tommie was the better player. i have posted here a number of times that lisch seems apprehensive and is playing nowhere close to the level of aggession offensively that i expected. so not sure where you are coming from with your comments. i havent said anything to say that lisch is what i expected either. both are better than what we have seen imo.