'Zo article on CNNSI

slu72

Really nice article on the job 'Zo is doing at UW, especially with the recruitment of Hawes. Great frontline coming with Hawes and Brockman. UW's going to be awfully tough to beat in the Pac 10 for years to come. Aaaahhhh, if only he could have done it here. Can't cry over spilt milk as they say. At least we were mentioned, "former St.Louis head coach."

I have doubt - he did not get a single local recruit that could qualify except for Sloan in the 3 years he was here. He was never going to get a steady flow of west coast talent to come here and he clearly had not hooked in to the St. Louis local talent base either. It was best for all that he moved on. Not everybody's dog and pony show works everywhere.

Coach Romar has proven he can coach and he can recruit. I am a 100% believer that he would have been highly successful here in time.

cheese says...."not everybody's dog and pony show works here".... This reminds me of Courtside's classic other-board comment re..."Martz/TLR is not a good ole boy that the hillbilly portion of STL fans like."

But, we will each believe what we believe, and we will never really know!

Damn .. if only Randy Albrecht could've kept that talent line open from Meramac CC ...... if only Ron Coleman could've kept that Vashon pipleine open.... if only Spoon had a knife and a fork ... it would've been a set!

Who the f--- cares! Get over it. If it weren't for Washington Romar would've die a quiet death here. He's damn lucky they came calling when they did ... it was his alma mater folks .... with the way he left the cupboard bare here, he should've been shot. Romar got where he always wanted to go. End of story. See ya!

Frankly, no tseug, I don't believe he would have been successful here. He wasn't on any sort of track for success. The only thing we didn't see was what Hollins could have done .. and he didn't light it up at UCLA either. Romar is getting guys at Washington that he can get .... they would have never came here or maybe even cut it here. From the majors ... to location ... to their conference ... to playing at the next level .. to any sort of success.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about Romar ... one year of luck in Memphis winning with someone else's recruits. Big freakin deal. He's gone 72, let him lie elsewhere.

As usual TajMhal79 puts me in my place. I agree he's gone. Just thought it was of interest to some posters the glowing reports coming out of Seattle. That's some big time talent he's assembling out there...Duke, KY, NC type talent. And he's doing it at a school that 4 years ago wasn't considered a hoops haven. Pretty good job imo. I do disagree with tseug though that he would have done this at SLU. At least not until he started mining the wealth around the STL area. We were never going to land those WC studs he went so hard after. And yes Taj he didn't leave the cupboard bare...there wasn't even a cupboard when UB took over.

Taj states...."who the F**K cares. Get over it!"

Why does an intelligent guy jump into a no-where going thread exchange between two old farts who are killing another preseason retirement day?

It's as if just the name of the most recent Billiken coach converts your jockey shorts into a fully clamped pair of vice-grip pliers!

Again, why even bother to jump with a 100+ word post? If it's all about stress relief .... well then, I can accept that!

Yeah, Taj take that! Hey, I'm not retired...just self employed. And not to continue this too much longer tseug but I sure wish Romar had landed some of those kids SIU had playing for 'em these past 4-5 years and weren't most of them local or at least regional types? I'd rather we had picked up a real pf rather than coming in second on wc kids. No doubt Romar can recruit, it is where he was trying to spin his magic that always bothered me.

Good question. And laughing my *ss off at your reply. Puts it into an interesting perspective.

And you are on the mark with the stress relief question. I guess Romar was a great guy (per b-roy) and is making great strides at YouDub (here per 72) but he left this program high and dry and for that I do indeed have heartburn.

romar would have won. i will go to my gave convinced he was a top coach and he is proving it out west. he got too close on too many top recruits. eventually he would have landed a program maker. but please, let's not fight that battle again. let me and tsueg just believe what we want.