Billiken Madness - Final Say

bluecrewprez

1st, I'd like to thank everyone for their great ideas and feedback and excitement. After talking to the Athletic Department today, they have decided to push back "Billiken Madness" from October 14th until a date in the not-too-distant-future that allows enough time to properly promote the event and get the word out to as many people as possible. It will be the same event, just at a later date. We will know the date of the event on Friday and I will relay the information as soon as it becomes available so that you can help us make it even bigger and better than we originally planned. PLEASE don't lose that excitement!! This just gives you more time to tell your friends and friends' friends and for you to give me even more of your ideas!! Go Bills!!

Who cares. I went to the last two midnight madnesses and I am about one of 15 people in the world who can say that. The Blue Crew is probably the worst basketball organization ever. Any student basketball club where you have interviews and kick people out is stupid. We had a bad year so let's kick some students out of the student club. That will teach them to skip a game. Also, one of my friends heard that the Blue Crew President was making fun of the team. He told me that she said that students should join Blue Crew and go to games, even though we sucked. I might not be a big baseketball fan or go to many games but I feel that that is something really crappy to say about your team.

I hope your kidding...a 9-21 record means we did suck last year. This year is a whole new year. As for kicking out people, we never denied anyone a ticket to the game. We want dedicated fans, not the occasional I'll come when we play someone of note. Same thing would go if you skipped events in ANY other organization on campus. We are a student organization, not the ticket office.

If you're not kidding, well fellow Billiken posters, FLAME ON.

too bad, it wont be the same. 1st practice is 1st practice. the 14th practice or whatever it will be is in rich's term of the day, lame.

no fault of yours. this shouldnt have gotten to this late date.

i will still come to the official event. but it should be on the 1st day. and that is the practice the hardcores want to attend.

that said, signing them up and getting them to all the games are two different things. dont get me wrong. i love those of you that show every game. you do an awesome job of cheering and creating excitement.

That's disappointing that the event won't be held on the first day of practice, but the good news is that there will be more time to promote it and to make preparations.

There will be a little more pressure on you guys to get more people to the event, but I know you'll come through. It's going to take a lot of effort, but if you keep working at it, you'll be able to change people's perceptions and create the kind of atmosphere we all want to have at the games.

Good luck and thanks for all you guys do to support the Billikens!

The delay may be a good thing, especially if those of us who do make it to earlier practices get good rumors started, getting folks salivating about how good and exciting Tommie Liddell and Kevin Lisch look. Also, don't be afraid to suggest that Dwayne Polk and Luke Meyer appear to be vastly improved. It would help if Frank Cusumano gets some video of an early practice -- capturing Liddell throwing down an emphatic alley-oop dunk tossed by Polk.

There are a few of reasons that I think a Midnight Madness is important. First it provides a chance for the fans and players to get introduced to each other. and create excitemnet for the coming season. Second it gives the players a chance to start building excitment for the season, because of the fans reaction to them before the daily grind of practice takes over. Third it gives a chance for the team to receive added publicity from the coverage of Midnight Madness by the press, by providing box scores and a write up on the players and how they performed during the scrimmage. Publicity can do nothing but help generate excitement for the upcoming season. Keep in mind also, that a lot of the midnight madness practices are covered by local television, it would be nice if it was here.

Now having said all of that if 15 people show up, then all the positives gained from having a Midnight Madness then becomes a negative. However if it is done right it brings nothing but good things for the team.

the only reason it wouldnt be a success would simply be laziness and or cheapness on behalf of slu.

go out and tell the media. get on the talk shows and talk it up and the prospect of the season.

get the newspapers to write a column on it.

mail the alumni and boosters to death.

promise food and drink.

work the dorms again promise food and drink.

it is a shame it isnt on the 14th when it should be, but now you got an extra week to pump it up and make sure of the details.

fix the sound.