Chris Carrawell signs with Rocheste Razorsharks

Newberry

Roy said it was an error of his ways.....

that is fine Rich, entitled to your opinion, obviously other people have different ones and that's okay too.

As for Roy's notion he would have received much appreciation and applause returning to SLU....well...I am sure when he stops by Duke he receives the same.

Should all teams be made up of only local players??? What about the kids from elsewhere who have attended SLU? Should they have stayed in their hometowns?

Do you really think St. Louisans have a greater reverance for native's who play in St. Louis as opposed to transplants who come and play? WOW!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that has been missed in this debate is whether or not Carrawell wanted to stay home. For some kids, they feel it's better to get away as the pressure of playing in front of friends and family can be rather overwhelming. It's bad enough having a coach critique you all the time, try to add your dad, your HS coach and your friends - it happens.

Maybe Carrawell just figured it was in his best interest to leave home and play elsewhere and when Duke came calling that sealed the deal. I remember seeing a story on him that said by his senior year of college of the 9 other guys he played ball with, 7 were dead or in prison. Would you really want to stay around that??

as to greater reverance for locals, vs transplants. i can tell you that as a belleville resident, i have more people begging for my tickets than in any time in the nearly 20 years i have been a ticket holder. i dont think they are asking me because of the prospect of the upcoming season following our 9 win season last year. any casual fan has little knowledge of the potential of this team. they are asking because liddell and lisch are on the team and they know them.

in years past, better players from out of town have shown up at slu and didnt generate the same excitement. think of love, jeffers or perry. if lisch and liddell are as good as those three (and i think they are) why not the same level of enthusiasm.

as to how they are rec'd after they left. if you think back over the past 20 years the players that are most readily remembered are bonner, claggett, highmark and hughes. all locals. yet arguments can easily be made that perry, love, jeffers and waldman were every bit as good.

Both of you are phucking idiots. Roy doesn't have clue about anything and Newberry is a phucking arrogant donor. I know who you are. For the last 2 years I worked in the AD as a student intern, I know a ton of crap the Broy is wrong about. By the way Broy no body can stand you in the Athletic Department

Newberry we are glad you do not donate anymore too, even though you helped us out alot you were a pain in the ass

what am i wrong about that i stated as a fact and not a guess or an opinion?

second, if the people in the athletic dept dont like me that really doesnt concern me. i am their customer. not vice versa. name an issue that they might be upset about that i am not thinking in the best interests of the billikens and the programs.

if it something that i am not being realistic about, then they should tell me such and why and not patronize me as you suggest they have donem, because i have never once gotten the impression you state. it is nice that they are nice and all, but i am more concerned with the billiken program becoming a success then someone being nice to me just for appearance sakes. and i find it hard to believe they would do that.

Broy said

"as to greater reverance for locals, vs transplants. i can

tell you that as a belleville resident, i have more people

begging for my tickets than in any time in the nearly 20

years i have been a ticket holder. i dont think they are

asking me because of the prospect of the upcoming season

following our 9 win season last year. any casual fan has

little knowledge of the potential of this team. they are

asking because liddell and lisch are on the team and they

know them."

I'M SURE CARRAWELL IS KICKING HIMSELF FOR GOING TO DUKE AND PLAYING IN FRONT OF THOSE SPARSE CROWDS.

"in years past, better players from out of town have shown up

at slu and didnt generate the same excitement. think of

love, jeffers or perry. if lisch and liddell are as good as

those three (and i think they are) why not the same level of

enthusiasm."

WHAT IS THIS LEVEL OF EXCITEMENT THAT YOU TALK ABOUT? OTHER THAN THE BASKETBALL NUTS AND GEEKS WHO POST HERE(MYSELF INCLUDED) WHO ELSE CARES. DID I MISS THE LIDDELL/LISCH PARADE?

"as to how they are rec'd after they left. if you think back

over the past 20 years the players that are most readily

remembered are bonner, claggett, highmark and hughes. all

locals. yet arguments can easily be made that perry, love,

jeffers and waldman were every bit as good."

AGAIN, OTHER THEN THE OCCASSIONAL POST ON THIS BOARD, WHO REALLY CARES. IS THERE REALLY THAT MUCH MORE TALK AND HOOPLA IN ST. LOUIS ABOUT CLAGGETT AS OPPOSED TO LOVE?

ROY - STOP HATING ON CARRAWELL. GO GET ALL YOUR STUFFED ANIMALS, PLOP YOURSELF ON THE COUCH, HAVE A GOOD CRY, WATCH A DISNEY MOVIE AND GET THE HATE OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM.

you should work on your discussion skills. i dont know where i ever said i hated carawell. i just stated that he isnt to get excited about on the billiken board. i obviously really bother you. that amazes me. no one other than triangle has ever let me bother them to that degree before. you are in elite company.

Steve, you do not receive the same reverance because you went away to school. Seriously Steve how dare you study Political Science in our nation's capital with the government/internships/jobs at your feet? You should have stayed and attended SLU. Now run along and have a cocktail in Dupont Circle or The Tombs. Say hi to TK. Now Roy we kid here cuz we care...at least that is how my dad says it.

Anyway...this brings out the bigger topic...and frankly the biggest pet peeve of mine. Please tell me you aren't one of these loco folks who appreciate Cardinal players more who live in STL in the off-season, as opposed to say a warmer climate, or their hometown somewhere else or anywhere else for whatever reason??? Players at the college level or pro level are remembered for two things: 1) Their playing level..i.e. if they were great, or 2) Their personality if they had a strong one, or if they were exceptionally likeable or not likeable.

H Waldman is not looked upon as highly as Highmark etc...was your example...I know he is looked more highly upon than Evan Pederson the fellow pride of Parkway West High. Why?... because he was better, and had more personality.

Okay I will play along...let's say as you did, there is a buzz and big increase in ticket sales in your area, because of the two East of the River recruits....if SLU stinks...people won't come, period. If SLU is good people will come. SLU hasn't been good in hoops since Hughes' Freshman year. Everyone on the board would like to SLU be good in basketball. If they aren't, people won't come. And, people won't care where the players are from.

I could count endlessly of players of whom I have higher regard than on the STL Cardinals, than say Al Hrabosky, Ricky Horton etc...who for comparison's sake played at a similar level to them in their day, and they don't live in STL.

It is as if you are insulting the intelligence of SLU hoops fans, STL fans etc...even the casual fan.

I do not care what city a player comes from to play for the teams I root for, ...nor where they go afterwords. To assume that most do...would be quite an assumption on your part. In professional sports for example...things were a little different when players played most if not all of their careers in one city. Even then, if a guy plays 10 years for a team and moves away, who cares? They are held in the same regard.

Take SLU as an example...The most highly regarded soccer player at SLU the past 20 years plus and one of the highest ever, is from a Northwestern Suburb of Chicago.

Wow!!! It has been a little while since I posted and I could not resist. I was mildly interested in the Chris C topic. No question if I had a kid who Duke was hot after and he also had an offer from SLU...Duke gets my kid. Even if he freakin sits on the pine the experience of attending a very prestigious U would make it worth it.

As to kids who do attend SLU...if they are players I could give a rats ass where they are from. It's nice to get the local kids if they can ball with the best of them. If not, who cares...I just want to see an exciting team that has a chance to get in the Big Dance.