Arena-Do it right, or don't do it!

knight_rider

Many have expressed their thoughts on the arena issue lately, so here's my two cents. If this arena is not built correctly; with complete coach's offices, training facilities, etc, both basketball staffs should begin looking to coach at another school. It would prove yet again that this institution does not want to provide the resources necessary to produce high caliber athletic programs. It would be as if you give Rusty Wallace a Pacer to run at Talledaga with all the big boys!

victor, while i have to admit i dont like the way this whole arena thing is coming out to the public from every angle, i keep asking myself what building or project has biondi ever done that wasnt completed to the nth degree?

i wish they were handling fund raising and comunications differently, but in the end, he has always come through. we are being asked for blind faith more or less. that is frustrating. but not much we can do.

the busch center is a palace compared to what was there and when i went to school at slu, i thought the old busch center was pretty darn nice. so again, he completely exceeded expectations from what we previously had.

as to the soccer stadium. we constantly hear that it is the best soccer facility in all the ncaa land. and even if it isnt the best, it is pretty high up proof of that is landing that ncaa championship. so again, he apparently did pretty darn good for a minor sport that at best breaks even financially.

now he is faced with the entire athletic dept cash cow. for him to cut corners would be extremely surprising. if the offices arent there, it isnt for financial reasons. there is a different reason. why who knows. we arent told anything.

what i expect is accurate information and tools up to date. i have given all i will give. but if they want to attract new donors it seems they are going with "well give and we'll fill in the blanks later" strategy. i just dont think that plays.

i liked jim braun a lot. he and his predecessor, matt oldani, were extremely personal and always responsive. hard to see what the beef would have been with jim if indeed he didnt leave on his own. i was under the impression he wanted to get back closer to his vegas home and thus took the colorado position to move west.

at this point we dont know a lot about the new people in the levick administration. and we will have to see how they work out. i have met mr wright once and he seemed like a nice man.

I'm overbuilt and there are no corners to cut ..... its all smooth and rolley-polley and soft. The pistons down in the engine room still work but I'm only good once as I ever was. That Taj Mahal stuff is rife with legend and urban myths. But thanks for caring .... bono ...

Biondi half-assed the law school redevelopment, the Busch Center redevelopment, and the soccer facility redevelopment. He also spent excessive amounts on converting O'Donnell hall into a highly criticized art gallery; he insisted on creating a walkway/mall consisting of tacky, dated, worn astroturf; and he has trashed the campus with tacky, modern art. Other than that, he has always done everything first class.

13,000 seats are too much. Similar to Xavier's Cintas Center, 9,000 - 10,000 would be fine. Plus, a smaller venue would create a better college basketball atmosphere and a bigger home court advantage.

I say shrink the size of the facility and use the cost savings to include a practice facility and offices for the entire athletic department.

No one will argue that the campus isn't drastically better than it was in '78 when you were there or '93 when I was there. However, that doesn't justify tacky art, bad facility planning, and the waste of valuable space on an art gallery that has little benefit for the students, faculty, or overall reputation of the university. It also doesn't justify making MAJOR mistakes in the design and funcionality of the new arena.

the art thing that keeps coming up. i will be the first to admit i dont give any piece of sculpture outside of the billiken at west pine more than a second's notice. and i wouldnt know the difference between a monet and a taj finger painting at all. but i have to believe that there is a value to that art in impressing the high rollers that typically bankroll the general fund as well. no one can argue the change in not only the physical appearance but enrollment, the growth of the endowments, etc since father biondi came to town. you wont catch me on the "lynch biondi" bandwagon. as far as i am concerned, as of now, biondi has a lifetime free pass to do what he wants. i just wish he would keep us informed a little more.

>Biondi half-assed the law school redevelopment,

did Biondi even have anything to do with the renovations? He's said he doesn't give a damn about the law school. With zero support from the top, it makes Dean Lewis's accomplishments with the law school even more remarkable. Lewis wants a new building too but we're on our own with that one.

we had about a seven year run where 13,000 capacity would have p!ssed off a lot of people. a winning team will likely bring those warm weather fans back.

that said, i couldnt care less about them. if i get the same relative location view, it is fine with me to make it more intimate. just keep in mind at $20 per ticket for 15 games those 5000 seats would be quite the fund raiser if the good times return.

I think it is clearly about money ... if it wasn't we would be building an arena with everything in it. We are having trouble raising the cash to get started now.

Of course for the same money we could probably go smaller and put the offices and practice facilities in the arena ... but it looks like we decided on 13K and a few less amenities. Which way is right is still to be determined. 3000 seats at lets say $15. per seat is 45K per game over a season that is 3/4 mil per yr in revenue.

Now of course if having less facilities hurt our recruiting and we don't start winning and have 3-4k empty seats ...

I for one think we are going to start winning and will fill the 13K arena ... that makes it a no-brainer.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman