Thoughts from Practice

davidnark

I watched practice over the weekend. Thicks has posted several insightful observations, but I thought I would add a few more.

First, I was very impressed by Husak's size and coordination. This is one big kid. Ian and Tom are big guys, and Husak is noticeably taller than both of them. He wasn't anywhere near as skinny as I expected. He looked real comfortable running the floor and catching the ball.

Second, this is not a criticism of any individual player or group of players, but there was a significantly noticeable difference in the strength, confidence, and smoothness of the veterns verus the new players. Guys like Sloan, Fisher, Bryant, Varner, and Drejaj look fit, tone, and confident. They ran all the players extremely well and were extremely efficient in every aspect of practice.

Third, Darren Clarke intrigues me. He was struggling a bit to learn the plays and the system, but he appeared to have a great attitude. He needs to add some weight, but I liked his ball handling skills, outside shot, and apparent coachability.

Fourth, Tom Frericks practiced with a shoulder brace on and repeatedly grimmaced from the pain. Izik sat out practice with a sprained ankle. I hope these injuries are not nagging because we really need these guys this season.

Fifth, I still don't know what to think about JJ. He is clearly strong and athletic, but he didn't look real comfortable in the drills. I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

Finally, it is hard to get a good feel for this year's team with so many new players, but I think we will have a good, but not great team.

I hate to jump ahead, but I think we could be in for special things next year. Izik, Reggie, and Frericks will be seniors with good experience in the system. Ian will have a full season of eligibility and a year under his belt. We will have a 7'2" center coming off the bench. Darren Clarke should be stronger and more comfortable. We will have improved athleticism in Polk and Liddell. Again, this season will be a lot of fun, but next season may be the "turn the corner" year at SLU.

He has good size and he was smooth around the baket, but it was difficult to tell much because they didn't scrimmage. He did show off a nice collection of scoop moves around the basket that you don't see from many American big men. I suspect that he and Frericks will offer slighly contrasting, but complemental styles up front.

when I played against foreign players (particularly a Greek post player) they all had deadly hook-like shots. Not the Kareem Sky-hook but a baby jump hook. Man was that tough to stop. From my experience I've found foreign players to be the most fundamentally sound I've ever taken on.

However, when play gets physical they can be stopped. I would be concerned that this season Ian may be shoved out of the lane too easily because of this. The style of play in Europe is finesse, not physical. He'll learn the US style in time.

it sounds to me as if ian might be able to play some power forward by the end of his career. that would be nice to see him and bryce both playing at the same time in 3-4 years. have we ever had that kind of inside size playing together before?

When I took in practice on Saturday (Oct. 25), Justin Johnson's mom had come in to see how her son is doing. I was standing off to the side while Anthony Beane was talking to her after practice. She told Coach Beane that it's good to see for oneself in person, notwithstanding what her son tells her it's like during phone conversations.

Having watched and interacted with the players on a few occasions since the summer, I think Reggie is the second-most outgoing, fun-loving gym rat on the team behind Anthony Drejaj.

Oh Yes, we'll definitely get to see Reggie play. I'll be there for his game at West Va., will hopefully be in St. Louis during Christmas so we'll be there for a home game on the 27th. Will travel to Dayton and Carolina. So I'll get to see a few of his games. I'm relying on you all and the coaches to keep me abreast of his progress. Reggie's my little brother and our father is a cross country tractor trailer driver, so he comes thru St. Louis once a month at least and gets a chance to fill in the blanks for us back in Baltimore, he talk with the coaches and teachers.

Good looking out on the info!

Welcome to the board ... I think it is fantastic that so many family members read and contribute to the board. We all wish Reggie the best and are looking forward to rooting for him.

As I'm sure you have read we are really looking to Reggie to lead this team.