Marquette's Golden Hilltopping

A buddy of mine told me that the Ship on the Discovery Channel Reality Show "The Deadliest Catch" is named the Billiken. The show is about Alaskan snow crab fishing. I think that the SLU AD Media Reps should be commended for getting Billiken sponsorship on national TV.

>Wow they can keep the name they share w/ USM or go to a name

>they can share with Western KY.

Actually, Hilltoppers was MU's original nickname since the 1920's and is the nickname of Marquette University HS. Warriors was actually imposed mainly for marketing purposes (all of the pro teams in Milwaukee at the time had Indian nicknames - all of those teams are gone). Most Jesuit HS's that are affiliated with Jesuit colleges have the name nickname (i.e. Jr. Bills) so it makes sense.

>A buddy of mine told me that the Ship on the Discovery

>Channel Reality Show "The Deadliest Catch" is named the

>Billiken. The show is about Alaskan snow crab fishing. I

>think that the SLU AD Media Reps should be commended for

>getting Billiken sponsorship on national TV.

Um, that has nothing to do with SLU. In Alaska the Billiken has major significance. When my parents came back from Anchorage last summer they commented that little Billiken statues (like the old-style Billiken) were sold everywhere.

http://www.uc.edu/profiles/eisner.htm

I have a whale-tooth billiken I got in Alaska. It's about the size of a thumb. It's pretty cool. I put it in front of my television along with my billiken and Soderberg bobbleheads when watching the games.

Yes it makes sense in that there is a long history to it. I went to the other "Hilltopper" HS in Wisconsin so it has sentimental meaning to me. A friend who I went to HS with sends his son to Marquette High and is proud to have "another" Hilltopper in the family.

Marquette used to be on Chestnut Hill, right? I hear they are building a huge development there now, Pabst City. Isn't that where Marquette used to be?

>Chestnut Hill is where Boston College is located. There is

>no other Chestnut Hill anywhere else in America and I just

>finished some research on that.

Great research. Where did you get that? The Society for the Propagation of Insular and Delusional Research in the Service of Boston College (SPIDRSBC) perhaps?

There are 8 Chestnut Hills in CT and 13 Chestnut Hills in MA. THere are 43 "Chestnut Hill's" in about 10 more states. Here is a great research tool you can bookmark (type in "Chestnut Hill" and then select "summit" as feature type):

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_quer..._web_query_form

And if you want to see populated places named Chestnut Hill (there 44 of them!) select "populated place" as the feature type.

Oh, Chestnut Hill College is in Pennsylvania.

The name was given to them when they were located south of the old Pabst Plant. The hill Pabst was on was call Chestnut Street Hill. I don't know the exact geography but it is not much of a hill as I used to park around the old Pabst plant for Bradley Center events.

http://www.americanbreweriana.org/history/pabst.htm

that i begin to brag about saint louis university academics i remember that metz is a slu graduate. kinda takes the wind out of the sails.

My Original Post:

">A buddy of mine told me that the Ship on the Discovery

>Channel Reality Show "The Deadliest Catch" is named the

>Billiken. The show is about Alaskan snow crab fishing. I

>think that the SLU AD Media Reps should be commended for

>getting Billiken sponsorship on national TV."

B-Law's reply:

"Um, that has nothing to do with SLU. In Alaska the Billiken has major significance. When my parents came back from Anchorage last summer they commented that little Billiken statues (like the old-style Billiken) were sold everywhere."

Where would I be without the tutelage of B-Law?

One day I hope to climb that golden hilltop of knowledge and be a message board warrior.