Billiken Golf Tourney--rumors, reports, gossip?

IMO If we lose a bunch of games early again, we'll have 4,000 fans regardless of who we're playing.

If we had a more experienced team, I'd be all for really toughening up the nonconference schedule. I think with UNC, Gonzaga, Iowa, etc., it's plenty tough already. I think we need to make sure to schedule in some wins. I'd hate to start the year something like 3-8.

i am not sure if this is true. i seem to recall an usatoday article around tourney time where pitino said he wasnt going to play anyone in cusa next year even memphis. purely my memory. i dont have a link.

play a weak schedule and you can kiss an at large berth goodbye. play a tough schedule and you risk not only a losing record buy a bruised confidence factor with our young roster.

imo, play the tough schedule and let the chips fall where they may. i hate the buy games.

Kshoe I do not know if you have any inside info, if not my recollection is 1) Brad saying he would play home and home with anyone, 2) since Oral roberts has been the best team in their conference the last two years, they are the type of team 100-200 RPI team we need on our schedule. With that said I do not know if it is a home and home, or if UWM is for that matter either. IT may also be that we will have a home and home but put an off year in between.

I agree we need some buyins at home but a mediocre team on the road would also be a confidence booster if we win.

>we'll play any of the good CUSA teams (the ones that went to

>the Big East or Memphis or UAB) for a few years since part

>of the deal the teams leaving brokered for CUSA was to play

>a couple games a year against teams that remain in CUSA.

>Thus, Marquette Depaul, Cinci and Louisville have to use

>their already crowded non-conference schedule to play a

>couple games against teams remaining in CUSA. Billikenlaw

>can tell you how many years this has to happen.

I know that Marquette paid a hefty amount to get out of that deal due. I was told in Memphis that L-ville ran out and scheduled home and homes with Central Florida and Marshall to fulfill their contractual obligation, which I believe runs 4 years. As demonstrated by L-ville, you don't have to play remaining CUSA teams but any CUSA team.

he will play a home and home with anybody he is talking about competition better than SLU. He does not mean, for instance, that he will play a home and home with SEMO, Savanah St., Evansville, Winthrop, Austin Peay, etc. If he was willing to do that every team ranked 100-320 would be calling looking for a home and home.

I don't have any inside information but I would be shocked and very disapointed if we are playing at Oral Roberts and Oakland next year. Oakland, for instance played away games at Xavier, Illinois, Texas A&m, Missouri, Kansas St., SLU, Akron, and Michigan St. Only impressive home game was Marquette. If they are getting return games for all those teams they will have an incredibly attractive home schedule (and yes I know Mizzou played there the year before b/c of Paulding and johnson).

It is a constant battle for teams like SLU to attempt to schedule better teams to home and homes while saying no to low mid-majors that simply want the same thing in return.