Arena Fundraising Letter

I am sure that many posters received a letter today regarding making donations to the arena project. Am I the only one wondering why there is no information regarding how current donations will be factored into future seat assignments? It wouldn't seem right to me if there is a psl-like expectation in the future that is unrelated to the current request for donations.

If the current point system will remain in place for the arena transition period, then the administration should let us know how many points will be allocated for each of the current donation categories.

you would almost expect that there would be some type of donation required for seats at the new arena, separate from the money being raised to fund the project. mizzou required a decent dollar amount, i remember talking with a guy at the ball game last summer who paid $25,000(courtside). just guessing what might happen would be maybe about $2,500 to $5,000 per seat in the lower bowl between the baselines, maybee $5,000 and up per seat for the premium seating areas.

most schools do something like this for the major sports, arenas and football stadiums are divided up based on what you give on a yearly basis. and don't forget parking!

G

how much you want to bet they are saving that for another shot at boosters? i.e. make a stab at them once for these bricks. they donate. then they come back again and blackmail with the seat thing.

the seating configuration will look real funny when we are all sitting in the top bowl if your thoughts are correct. i do believe there will be seats that will be designated as such because of annual saizeable donations, but the fact we still dont have the money to build this thing proves they dont have the financial loyalty to block the entire sidelines lower bowl for it. my guess is will be maybe first 4-5 rows or something like that.

We cannot have it both ways. If we want the thing built, we have to accept that they will need the money to build it and they are going to have to raise that money any way that they can. If we don't want the thing built, then we do not have to give any more money.

If donor A swoops in and writes a check for $25,000, then he deserves better seats than donor B who writes a check for $1,000 even if donor B has been giving $100 a year for 30 years (still only $3,000) and donor A is making his first donation.

I know a lot of people will become infuriated when they read this, but PRACTICALLY speaking, I don't think there is another way absent several really big donors who do all the heavy lifting which I do not think is going to happen, especially with people like BM constantly running down the program day in and day out.

does provide some protection. Even to day their are ways for big givers to get seat in the "Loyal BLue" just by putting up some cash.

Now it is my recollection that any money we donate to the arena project, would benefit 1 point per 100 dollars.

SO if someone donates 1,000,000 they would probably leap frog us and rightly so. However, someone who donates 25,000 i think that would only add 250 points.

alumni fan, i am not complaining about the donors getting the seats. i am just saying that it isnt right to not paint the whole picture up front. i give $600 a year. i cant afford to give more. and if that $600 needs to be presented a certain way to maximize my own abilities to select my seat, that is what i want to do. but to take my $600 then come out with something else that would have been more beneficial way to donate the money later, that wouldnt be fair to the small timers like myself.

I wonder if the administration knows the answers to the questions that have presented above??

I inquired last week and was told no decisions on psl's have been made, but my mistake may have been asking such a focused question as other options are available and maybe (probably are??) under consideration.

Another inconsistency is Cheryl was radio that day (KMOX w/ BM and KTRS with Randy) and I remember her saying along the lines of if you want to sponsor a drinking fountain, we will come up with the price. There was nothing in the letter addressing these types items as one could get quite creative with this.

I guess Harry Stonechipher is out as a major donor...

Point System:

Points are calculated on a per account basis. Points are non-transferable, and an existing account will carry accumulated point total into the new plan.

1 point awarded for every $50 per current active membership of Billiken Club or athletic endowment

***1 point award for every $100 per restricted gift, unless given special project privilege determined by athletic administration*****

2 points awarded for each consecutive year of Billiken Club membership, starting July 1 of the current fiscal year, for a gift at the same or greater level

3 bonus points for increasing membership level

3 points awarded for each men's basketball season ticket purchased

1 point awarded for each season ticket purchased to men's soccer, women's soccer, women's basketball or volleyball

3 points for individual entry to any Saint Louis University Athletics golf tournament, i.e., Diamond Club Golf Tournament, Billiken Golf Classic, etc.

1 point awarded for every $100 restricted marketing and promotions cash sponsorship to Billiken Athletics

1 point awarded for every $200 restricted marketing and promotions trade sponsorship to Billiken Athletics

5 points awarded for every $1000 secured through personal solicitation or through Billiken Blitz fund-drive

2 points awarded for every new member brought into Billiken Club (member's name must appear on pledge card or donor must stipulate by whom they were solicited to join the Billiken Club)

1 point awarded per $100 dollar value of any gift-in-kind donation used by Billiken Athletics

.5 point awarded for every Billiken Club Sponsored fundraising event

20 points - One-time allocation for being SLU alum once account is established

No offense to those donating or Slu for that matter but A $2500 to $5000 PSl for the lower bowl seats I have now mean I walk away from this sport entirely. I don't believe that SLU can afford to be quite that thick headed. If you want to turn 9000 season ticket holders into 3000 season ticket holders, that is the way. With all due respect to Cheryl and still with hopes of an on campus palace for Basketball, I'll forgo having a brick or a drinking fountain or a locker, until I see what the damage is just to see the goddamn games.

i hope my grandkids get to see Steve Wojciechowski coach Duke and Drew Deiner coach SLU in the first game at the new Arena. god that would be awesome. maybe chris collins would coach Duke. who knows?!?! also, why is Mizzou arena not called Paige Sports Arena anymore and why when I say "New Comiskey" do my co-workers at US Cellular get all mad at me??

First of all last week I wrote on the Board that my communications with Cherly about the PSL type thing. She indicated that at this time they have not made any decisions about that topic. She did not rule it out nor did she confirm it. What she said was that right now they are in the process of raising money for the arena - $35 million - and the seat charges if any will be decided later. As someone else said we can not have it both ways - we need to donate something now that you can afford and then be ready for any other seat costs. My guess is that if there is a seat fee then they will have a 5 year pay out period for it.

No one doubts that knowing if there will be seat fees or not would be helpful but if they do not know the answer now holding back giving anything is silly. As I said before - give a small amount $50 or $100 one time so it gets matched during this short period. I bought a brick and am holding back until I see the other costs such as a seat fee.

I would suggest that people look at some other schools to see what the cost for basekball tickets for a season is, in terms of what type donation is required per ticket, season ticket costs and what type of amenities you receive if you have "high rent" seats to those of standard seats without donations.

I looked at Dayton, Xavier, Temple, Marquette and DePaul.

Dayton:

"thank you for supporting the Flyers. Please review the following criteria for access to the Boesch Lounge and Time Warner Cable Flight Deck. If you are interested in gaining access to these areas of the UD Arena, please contact the UD Ticket Office at 937/229-4433.

Boesch Lounge and Time Warner Cable Flight Deck Access Criteria 2003 - 2004 Season

Eligibility for Lounge Access Eligibility to access the Boesch Lounge and Time Warner Cable Flight Deck is determined by the level of annual contribution to University of Dayton Athletics. Annual contributions include contributions to the Arena Seating Plan or charitable gifts to athletics, such as donations for capital projects. Payments for season tickets or parking are not included in determining annual contribution level. We will determine the level of annual contribution for each season ticket holder by October 1 prior to each basketball season.

Access Policy, Priority Levels and Color Code System

# Season ticket holders whose annual contribution to athletics is $500 or greater will be eligible to access the two lounges based on a priority system. The three priority levels are:

GOLD = $2,500 and above

SILVER = $1,000 to $2,499

BRONZE = $500 to $999"

XU you need to pony up if you want good seats at the Cintas Center, the only season tickets you can get without a donation or high end and high sides, upperbowl seating.

Temple:

PREFERRED SEATING

Are you a preferred seat holder? You should be! Not only do you get access to the best seats in the Liacouras Center but the preferred seating program provides extra benefits such as:

* Access to special post-game "chalk talks" with Coach Chaney and staff!

* VIP Advance Ticket Purchase for select Liacouras Center and Wachovia Center events!

* Tax Deductibility

Preferred seating is located in section 102-104 and 112-114 in the Liacouras Center and requires a tax-deductible per seat donation. For more information or to reserve your seats now, call Amy Norman at 215-204-2586 today!

For a Liacouras Center Diagram, click HERE

To E-Mail Amy Norman, click HERE

SEASON TICKETS

Get the best seats at the best prices for all the Temple Basketball action this season, PLUS both exhibition games for FREE!

Lower Level* $250.00

Temple Employee $200

* Some locations require a preferred seating donation - see details above on the NEW & IMPROVED preferred seating package!

Upper Level $125.00

Temple Employee $100

Family Four Pack* $300.00 300

Marquette DePaul seem similar to SLU, they don't give info on what is required if anything just a standard season ticket form.

I agree with you and BRich on these points. I think that as soon as possible, they should make it clear how supporters/donors can maximize the benefit they receive from their contributions. It is only fair and not doing so runs the risk of pissing people off, myself included.

With respect to BRich's point, I cannot imagine, given the recent record of the team (say, the last three years) that they are going to get thousands of people to pony up large dollars for PSLs. At this point, I would be reluctant to do so just out of principle. Now, if the next two years produce a record of 50-10 and a couple of elite eight appearances, then I'll be at the front of the line. Unfortunately, I don't think we have to worry about that happening.