A little good news on the arena front....

SLURadioBoy

Here's the latest with the arena as per the Post...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...llion+for+arena

Looks like someone gave $1 million anonymously. Ok I admit it...I decided to help out! ;)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Idon`t understand that If a building costs $70 million,why WHY wouldn`t the offices and practice court be there?

I don't get it either. Mizzou's new arena was built for 75 million and it has a practice court, basketball offices and 2,000 more seats. Is all of that only five million dollars more. Don't get me wrong five mil is alot of money but you would think we could at least afford either a practice court or bball offices.

First of all - the report did not say that the BB offices were not there. It said no athlectic department offices - Levick and others. I have heard that the BB offices are there. They never said it was to have a practice facility. You are also forgetting that the MU $75 million was a price bid 3 years ago - add about 7-8 more mill to that price.

And a price tag which will increase during that time to at least 74M. I'm sure that during this time delay the administration and trustees will make sure the arena - a creek runs thru it - will have the needed facilities and/or a contingency.

I am in favor of the arena having 12 to 13K seats because I believe that the Billikens will consistently fill it in the future. When we become a top 50 team we will be glad to have those seats.

UNM's "the pit" holds 18K and was built in the mid-60's and continues to be a great venue to watch a game. The Lobos have not had particularly good teams recently but the crowds remain. An off night is 12K and the women's team often draws 14K.

My concern is the arena locaton and the underground Mill Creek. Engineering design changes could raise the cost significantly which weren't initially projected. Maybe land purchase costs north of campus won't seem so expensive in comparrison. I wouldn't be surprised if SLU isn't keeping the original site in view.

Lobo - might be right about the orginal site. The only real problem I see with that location is that we could not get the property signed up and with the Supreme Court hearing arguments on eminate domain rights plans in the Grand Center area could change. I now I know a TIF is different from eminate domain but who knows what fallout might occur based on the Courts final decision.

2 to 3 years until groundbreaking!!!! Unacceptable. If it will take that long why begin the process so early? SLU looks foolish now, imagine when the building still isn't ready and we are in a new decade. I for one am still not convinced that SLU won't manage to Fup the bball program once again.