random thoughts

TEE

watching tonights game got me to start thinking about next season.

assuming we are to go with a five man rotation with the backcourt hopefully consisting of Dwayne, Danny, Luke, Kevin and Tommie we should be pretty darn solid in that department. we have an above average center who is developing nicely and 7ft of potential, like what we have there. we need to seriously address what will be done with the power forward postion. going with ian/bryce and the 5 listed backcourt/wing players we might be ok with VN/JJ/?/? at the 4, but could really use some help there. the question I have is where does that leave DC and AD? talent wise/ability AD shouldn't even crack that five man rotation, hopefully he stays on the bench, DC????

after losing Tom and with Reggie ailing, how can you start counting on Kevin and Tommie to start nextyear? Assuming Kevin's knee heals and his back holds together and Tommie qualifies and both are as good as we hope AND Dwayne and Luke have no sophmore slump and get better too.....yeah given that Clarke and Drejaj will be odd men out. I'd still be willing to bet that Drejaj gets worthwhile minutes till he graduates. Don't count on anything and who knows Newborn and JJ might step up....Stranger things have happened......

i think you are missing my point. we are adding two guys to a very crowded backcourt/wing that is becoming pretty talented and when you get right down to it we are not going anywhere with AD playing heavy minutes. AD can be a real liability too many times. AD gives a great effort, but when it becomes a mumbers game i think we all want the best players out there. Apparently DP/LM/DB have earned the staffs trust and are all playing a substantial amount of minutes now and when you add two very talented players to that mix, it becomes apparent that those guys are our future and our best chance to win regardless of the fact that AD will be a senior. i am bagging VN/JJ yet, heck i think JJ needs more minutes, although i am curious to know what we will add up front. at this point you can only look to next season.

I think that there are too many variables to count AD out. IF everything falls into place and AD doesn't improve he may lose alot of time ... but alot has to happen and who knows AD may see the writing on the wall and shoot 1000 shots a day this off season and come back a much better player.

I have seen VN get increasingly more and more comfortable in the game ... he isn't showing up on the stat sheet so much ... but in the A10 which is much less physical ... I wouldn't count him out yet.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I'm not suggesting it'd be a good thing that Anthony become our starting point guard next year. I'm just saying that its probable that someone we expect to be great will not make it, or be injured, or not get the coaches system, or get home sick, or at the very least piss off Brad by being a bonehead freshman. When those things happen Drejaj is the answer and not a terrible one. When Drejaj is on a roll he is one of our better outside shooters or at the very least someone with the confidence to take the shot. That will hopefully change next year but Drejaj will still be needed.

I agree with you on VN - his defense over the last few weeks has been very good, and I thought that overall, he played a pretty good game last night. He hasn't been the rebounder that I thought he would be, but perhaps with a year of DI basketball under his belt, next year he'll become the player we expected him to be.

Why did JJ get so few minutes last night? He hit a sweet jumper and picked up a rebound in two minutes in the first half, and was never seen again.

there was nothing wrong with kevin's spine. the problem he had equates to the same as a pulled muscle in his neck. there never was a disc problem. i was at the game he played when he tore his miniscus, and he was as active and daring as ever.

now as to his knee and the extent that scenario might linger and affect kevin's play in the future, that is something we will all just have to wait and see. it is my understanding the tear was not a small one.

i think that drejaj has played much better the last few games. his turnovers are down. his assists are up. his shot looks better, and he is pushing the ball down the floor faster than before. i too believe he is at best a borderline "in the rotation" player for next year, but one thing is certain. every time we try to count this kid out, he comes back. he is one tough sob.

Not playing JJ makes no sense me. With the departure of Izik and word that we are only recruiting HS or Prep School 4s, it seems inevitable to me that JJ shall be counted on for 20+ minutes a game next year. Why not get him at least 15 per game now? He never embarasses himself when he is on the floor now, in fact he shows promise. I assume keeping JJ on the bench despite the help it could be to the team next year is a "you have to earn it in practice", Brad is stubborn.