How do you beat ...

slufanskip

a team that scores 90 pts while shooting only 12 free throws, shooting 56% from the field and 45% from three.

That is what the Illini did against Penn St.

15-34 from 3. Head, Brown, and Williams were 13 for 25 from the 3.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

...is to force that team into about 25 turnovers (and then convert those TO's into buckets. Alas, the Illini are very good about taking care of the ball.

This has been a very hard season for me: my two favorite teams, SLU and Mizzou are mediocre at best (horrendous at worst), and two of the teams I like to dislike (Illinois and Kansas) are strong NC contenders. This might wind up being worse than 1996-97, when neither SLU nor Mizzou played in the postseason.

As a Mizzou fan, I view Illinois as a "hated" rival. It's just a choice.

I'm a homer. As a resident of St. Louis, Mo., I "pledge" allegiance to the city's Div. I school (SLU) and the state's primary (non-regional) school (Missouri-Columbia). I don't live in Illinois, so I don't consider Illinois "mine."

It doesn't have anything to do with perceptions of the program; whether the U. of Illinois is clean or dirty will not affect how I feel about the school. And while I'm displeased about the mess Missouri has brought upon itself -- it has left a bad aftertaste and caused my enthusiasm for the program wane quite a bit -- I still follow the team very closely and want the program to be successful while cleaning up its act.

I would agree that most STL residents have no affiliation with much of anything once you cross the river. No need for a "Roy" response, just stating what I have observed. Other than some footballers over the years, U of I doesn't have a large STL contingency. ...a big Chicago school. Because U of I is pretty far from Chicago, imo most Chicago people only follow them or root when their teams are doing very well.

Local STL tv covers U of I decently, but not sure there is any interest on MO side of river.

To beat IL in hoops this year. Need two good low post players. IL is obviously very good and well coached, ...but beatable inside. ...as is KU imo.

I'd not put them in the same catagory as Cincy. I don't root against teams like Charlotte, Illinois, Carbondale, and the like. They are all rivals of SLU to a certain extent but I' save my hatred for the true scum like Cincy, Memphis, and Missouri. Hating Illinois seems a bit too much like sour grapes and outright envy........

>I'd not put them in the same catagory as Cincy. I don't

>root against teams like Charlotte, Illinois, Carbondale, and

>the like. They are all rivals of SLU to a certain extent

>but I' save my hatred for the true scum like Cincy, Memphis,

>and Missouri. Hating Illinois seems a bit too much like

>sour grapes and outright envy........

I don't think you and I are on the same page. I root for Missouri; Illinois is a rival of Missouri; ergo, it's somewhat painful to see Illinois playing so well (and having the team "shoved" down my throat because the St. Louis media covers it like a home team) when Missouri can't match it. It doesn't matter that Illinois isn't like Cincinnati. Frankly, my dislike of Cincy isn't as strong as my dislike of Illinois.

Your last statement is ludicrous. I've considered Illinois a team I like to dislike for over a decade, whether the team is good, mediocre, or bad. Illinois hasn't typically been as good as it is this year, so how can it be envy?

however, courtside, when the illini were on probation during the deion thomas days, mi$$ouri was also on probation at the same time.

plus, if i remember the thomas affair, the illini were actually found innocent of the specific charges concerning thomas, that weasel bruce pearle brought up (probably my biggest reason i still hate iowa to this day) but got hit with "lack of institutional control" because henson was oblivious to some of the tactics that his assistants were using in chicago. thus their probation.

if i remember correctly, earle secretly taped thomas, who was sick of him calling even after he committed to the illini, and earle got thomas to say that he got a chevy blazer from collins. however, no one ever found a chevy blazer and when questioned about it, thomas said he made it up to try to get earle to leave him alone.

still, imo, that probation ended up costing jimmy collins the head coaching job at illinois as the boosters never forgave him for it.

What does the mention of Thomas have anything to do with Missouri? I never mentioned Missouri once, and their same time probation is just an unsolicited cheap shot out of left field. I never stuck up for Missouri.

Earl Austin Jr, STL youth basketball guy, Bruce Pearl, UWM coach, former S Indiana coach, and assistant to Dr. Tom Davis at Iowa. U of I cheated, period, spin all you like. And I don't care either way to be honest with you. Pearl did tape conversations and was banished for a long time to S Indiana. That would be an interesting topic. Bruce Pearl. Do you ban a guy forever for making that particular mistake? Is there a period after many many years, you forgive and move on? or no? In sports today it is funny where some people get free passes ALL the time repeatedly, and others, don't. Vijay Singh, people still hate him in golf and do not root for him for cheating many years ago. Maybe it comes down to, if you are not already a likeable big time star, ...tough to overcome.

As for my personal thoughts, ...hmmm..if people commit a mistake that warrants just punishment, but is forgiveable, and correct punishment served, then slate is clean. ...in general, imo...(obviously it has to be something within reason)

I didn't know Vijay was caught cheating ... I have liked him because he spoke his mind about Sorenstam ... Now I would have problems cheering for a guy who knowingly cheated ...

Before anyone else mentions it ... I'll never beleive the Sooners ever cheated ... sold a little coke, shot a couple people ... ok, all forgivable ... cheating ... no way never happenned. ;)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

courtside, i brought up the mi$$ouri probation because you brought up the thomas affair in response to billiken rich stating that at least the illini dont cheat like mi$$ouri. my point was that even when the illini did get somewhat in trouble, mi$$ouri was in trouble then as well.

i.e. if my mi$$ouri comment was cheap, then so was your thomas comment. maybe even more so since technically illinois didnt get hammered for thomas, but hammered for other issues that were uncovered during the thomas investigation.

I really don't know if being a cheater in the past has anything to do with Vijay not being liked. The guy is a GREAT golfer but he has a not so likeable personality. By the way, last year I followed Vijay around the Copperhead course for the Chrysler Open which he ended up winning. I cannot say enough about his ability on the golf course, and he works very hard at staying on top, as very shortly after his round, he was back hitting more golf balls.

Vijay lives for practice. Nobody practices more in any sport. I would disagree. I know a LOT of people who hold that against him still. His great play has slowly won some people over. I would however agree that his personality is an acquired taste for many. Sadly I also never discount race in America, for some. Woods has helped that in golf.

...But Roy, I mentioned Thomas in reference to Rich saying basically that U of I didn't cheat...nothing to do with Missouri. Doesn't really matter, I just threw it out there, more to show a lot of schools even likeable ones have a lot in the closet. That was it. On a seperate note, I know that when I read something here, like the Mi$$ouri instead of Missouri, it usually is a turn off for me to even read the post. I just don't find it necessary, whether it is UC or whomever. I don't paint such a broad brush I suppose.

Skip, yeah Vijay cheated a long time ago, got suspended a year on that tour. ...you could probably dig up some stuff on a vijay google search.