other college basketball thoughts

billiken_roy

anyone see any of the cincy purdue game? it appears hugs has them playing pretty well. they had no problem with purdue at all. i really thought the absense of a true center would be a big problem for cincy and of course i was hoping jihad wasnt any good, but it appears that the twin rocks of maxiell and hicks is clicking and jihad is playing very well. (gotta love that hair)

how about memphis vs maryland? maryland destroyed them. no way that score should have been bad. memphis is loaded with specimen's. proof again that calipari is all recruiter. he has unbelieveable players. but there is no way they should lose like that to anyone in the country.

congrats to lorenzo romar. makes you wonder.

While I didn't see Cinn-Purdue, I did see Cinn-Northern Iowa last Wednesday (Nov 24). Cinn was down 18 with 12 minutes to go and managed to win in double overtime at HOME after getting the expected home calls at the end, including fouling out both N. Iowa big men. Only then did Cinn get enough inside points to win. Jihad was 6-22. He was firing as soon as he crossed the 10 second line. Obviously, they must have played a lot better against Purdue.

>anyone see any of the cincy purdue game? it appears hugs

>has them playing pretty well. they had no problem with

>purdue at all. i really thought the absense of a true

>center would be a big problem for cincy and of course i was

>hoping jihad wasnt any good, but it appears that the twin

>rocks of maxiell and hicks is clicking and jihad is playing

>very well. (gotta love that hair)

>

>how about memphis vs maryland? maryland destroyed them. no

>way that score should have been bad. memphis is loaded with

>specimen's. proof again that calipari is all recruiter. he

>has unbelieveable players. but there is no way they should

>lose like that to anyone in the country.

>

>congrats to lorenzo romar. makes you wonder.

Many people blame Romar trying to recruit west coast kids for his "lack" of success, but maybe it was the facilities that held him back???

Memphis simply quit when Maryland got hot. Cal has very talented players but not a team. Reminds me of Pat Kennedy's last couple DePaul teams. No guts.

2 other related notes from college hoops. Pepperdine (who got spanked by 28 by ECU) ripped #20 Wisconsin while TCU was beaten by Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, who has taken down a couple major conference teams.

I watched all 3 games played by Washington in Alaska and a number of games last year. The team is good and getting better--not because of recruiting by Lorenzo but because a kid from the football team decided to play basketball. Nate Robinson--the 5'9" point guard with a 40" vertical leap and the strength of an NBA guard has made all of the difference in that team. In the early part of last season they were not playing well and then they got lucky against Oregon state in a game I watched--came back from 18 points down late in the game--and Robinson started to take charge and teh team went on a great run.

The facilities had nothing to do with the "recruitment" of Robinson.

Also, he is now in his own backyard and he is doing something that he never did here--he is concentrating on recruiting local kids. His two great recruits for next year are local, and almost his entire team is made up of west coast kids who are more than a thousand miles closer to home than they would have been if they came to SLU.

I really liked Romar and I was really angry when he left. I still wonder how he would have done if he had stayed but I am now very happy with Brad and his local recruiting which I think will make this team more attractive to our local fans in the next few years.

i always bristle when i hear accusations that coach romar didnt try to recruit local kids. lorenzo went hard after david lee and darius miles. was on the radar late on both i believe. he did get chris sloan, also a local kid. i would see him at local high school games all the time. in fact, i saw coach romar at more local high school action than i see our current coach soderberg. he was the coach that actually wanted ahearn. he was going to see kevin lisch as a freshman already. same with grimes.

romar's biggest fault was he was too good of a recruiter and kept slu in the running for the "big fish" till the end. then when he finished second, the guys on the second shelf were gone. had he been a little less charismatic, maybe those "big fish" would have turned their back on him sooner and then he would have went after the second shelf before it was too late.

btw, robinson is a fine player, but brandon roy appears to be an nba body as well. and to think, there is a top recruiting class coming next year as well.

I did not say that Romar did not recruit local kids--I just said he did not concentrate on it. His main concentration was teh kids that were nationally ranked--most from the west coast.

I got to know David Lee through my daughter and from the very beginning he was going out of town and he wanted the limelight of the "big time". In retrospect, I think he would have been much better off in staying here and becoming a dominant force for us like Larry Hughes.

Miles was always interested in going to the NBA.

I did not mean my comments to be as negative as you took them. Romar was a nice guy who chased the rainbow of top ranked west coast kids and he got coal instead of gold!

I watched purdue play. Purdue really isnt that good. X was passing too much. He could have had a lot of open jumpers but I guess its hard to shoot a lot as a true freshman. I think he had like 2 or 3 rebounds. One of them it looked like he could have touched the top of the backboard. He needs to look to shoot though