Portal Timing Killing NIT

The NIT opt outs this year were notable.  With Coaches like Pitino sighting the portal as the reason to skip the NIT.

If you want to make the NIT like those teams in the A10 then this was good.

But this probably isn't sustainable for the NIT to continue to exist.

Portal open day needs to move until April.  They already cut the portal open time but it was 15 days on the back end.

Not to mention teams preparing for NCAA games with one eye on the portal.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I think being the NIT for the last 40 years is what is killing the NIT.

Don't knock it, could be our tournament for all us basketball schools left in outer darkness when the big bad conferences run everything.

But I think the loss of MSG for the Semi-final and Final stings too.

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Don't knock it, could be our tournament for all us basketball schools left in outer darkness when the big bad conferences run everything.

100%. When I think of the NIT, MSG is one of the first images that pops into my head. I know it's just a location/venue but IMO it adds some weight to the tournament. Playing at Hinkle is Low T. 

25 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The NIT opt outs this year were notable.  With Coaches like Pitino sighting the portal as the reason to skip the NIT.

If you want to make the NIT like those teams in the A10 then this was good.

But this probably isn't sustainable for the NIT to continue to exist.

Portal open day needs to move until April.  They already cut the portal open time but it was 15 days on the back end.

Not to mention teams preparing for NCAA games with one eye on the portal.

Why listen to 15 second Pitino? Not buying the excuse. Just sour grapes from Slick.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

There's a lot of delusional folks who think that non-FBS football schools are still long for this world.

UMass joined the freakin' MAC just to try to stay afloat with football. Basketball is small time stuff in comparison. Missouri and Illinois do not want to share their cake with us.

Ace; Quick Rick is laughable but it's true that the portal time frames need to change. This is a ridiculous distraction in the middle of the most important part of the season. By this same logic the portal should open in November.

Laugh at Rick, start working on improving the portal. Both are true.

8 minutes ago, Soderball said:

There's a lot of delusional folks who think that non-FBS football schools are still long for this world.

UMass joined the freakin' MAC just to try to stay afloat with football. Basketball is small time stuff in comparison. Missouri and Illinois do not want to share their cake with us.

Ace; Quick Rick is laughable but it's true that the portal time frames need to change. This is a ridiculous distraction in the middle of the most important part of the season. By this same logic the portal should open in November.

Laugh at Rick, start working on improving the portal. Both are true.

My point is that he was just using the portal as an excuse to skip the NIT. He likely would have skipped it anyway because he got his feeling hurt. Plenty of other programs with a history of success found the time to play in the NIT.

Soderball likes this