The Bills and RI Even

Post season A-10.....First,  let's start with The Bills Chance 2 Dance.....Not probable but here is what it looks like....Wins in order....RI...Duq...Day...Loy...Rich....The computer refers to it as miracle basketball....Here is what the rest of the post season A-10 looks like....NCAA...Day 6th seed (unch)....NIT chances...Loy 80% (up)...Rich 64%(dn)...UMass 54% (new)....The ghost of Juan hovers

Game Preview.........The following is from my last RI report a little over a  week ago...This coming game might be a future PIG match up. What would you say if I told you we had a chance to play a team that had a bad defense...as bad or worse than ours.   They still have a bad defense...but have improved a little since the last time we played them. Their offense is about the same. Meanwhile, our offense has improved since last meeting and our defense is about the same. We need to build on our defensive effort against St. B...no 90, in fact not even 80 pts  for them this time.

Their main guys are Green (outside) and Kortright & House (closer in).  Also ease up on fouling House...He had 11 FTAs last time... Way too many.

How can we break the tie/spread?  Some easy improvements ...Medley had 0pts and 0 rebs in 19 min last time against RI ( against St. B ...10 rebs-10 assts)...Ezewiro had 6pts & 1 reb in 7 mins

We beat them at their place with a poor defensive game...We should be abled to beat them in on a neutral floor.                   

Let's look at the card....

Report Card.... 

The Card is up.....4 up... 2 Off  and 2 Def

.................SLU..............RI................SLU......................RI

...........................OFF........................................DEF..........

PPG...........B-................C-..................F........................D-

FG%...........C+................B...................F+......................D+

3P%...........A..................B-...................F......................F+

FT%...........B+.................F-..13th WITN.........................

Reb...........D...................B....................C-......................C+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....3P%...Reb......Def...PPG...Reb

Down.........Off....none....Def....none

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

Min /gm...Jimerson ...42nd ...up

RI

3P%...Green....73rd...Dn from last time we played them (15th)

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills...

Parker...3/9 ...shoulder...day to day

Meadows....2/20...back...out for the season

Curcic...2/29...Foot...out for season

RI..

Wright...3/9...unknown issue...day to day

Bilau...1/18....knee....out indefinitely

Keys to the Game.......Make some shots ...especially the bunnies...Play D...beat them on the slash

WWN2D2W...Target slash for SLU--50/40/75......Slash for RI...46/35/65....Beat them in TOs...Match them in Rebs...Hold their top 3 scorers to 38 pts

Bottom line.........Let's get EVEN better...That's what SLU needs to do...A win over the Rams....And we move on to round 2

FWIW, Rammer was on with Frank yesterday and is not optimistic about today’s game. Said Rhody is more physical at every position and it took Parker’s 16 pts. in 15 mins. and otherwise good shooting by the rest of the team to hold off the Rams. Said there’s almost no chance Parker is playing today. 

My guess is the season ends today and with Duq. having won 6 of their last 7, there’s a near zero chance we can take them. The handwriting for the end of the Ford era is close at hand. I actually feel kind of bad for Travis as he may not be the best coach around, but he’s been passionate about trying to get it turned around and has worked extremely hard to get it done.

Too bad it didn’t work out.

SLUMS81 and slufan13 like this

20 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

FWIW, Rammer was on with Frank yesterday and is not optimistic about today’s game. Said Rhody is more physical at every position and it took Parker’s 16 pts. in 15 mins. and otherwise good shooting by the rest of the team to hold off the Rams. Said there’s almost no chance Parker is playing today. 

My guess is the season ends today and with Duq. having won 6 of their last 7, there’s a near zero chance we can take them. The handwriting for the end of the Ford era is close at hand. I actually feel kind of bad for Travis as he may not be the best coach around, but he’s been passionate about trying to get it turned around and has worked extremely hard to get it done.

I feel bad for him too, but coaching is a bottom line business, and however much he tried and wanted it, it didn’t get done. Time to move in another direction.

27 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Vegas has the Billikens at -2.5.  In 10 hours or so we will have the answer.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

If he worked "extremely hard" we wouldn't have this recruiting class.

He's not good and it's way past time for him to be gone.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

As I pointed out in the opening post of this thread...Ezewiro (injury...7min playing time) and Medley ( 0 pts and 0 rebs)...if they both have just average games, we add 10pts plus 8 rebs.  Moving the game to a neutral court pretty much evens out the loss of Parker's 16 pts.

I would also like to point out that when we lost Parker at the 10 min spot in the 2nd half of the previous Rhody game , we were trailing in that game by a point.  We won that game in the final 10 mins with no Parker OR Ezewiro. 

As of yesterday...both Parker and Wright (RI) are still listed as questionable. Also the spread is still listed as even.  So I beat on the computer and told it to carry it out a couple of places....and it showed Bills by 0.35 pts.  And then in its on snarky way (it must get that from me ) says....what part of even do you not understand. I said I understand where the plug is.  Its answer...Go Bills.

CenHudDude likes this

A good win....Any win at this point of the season is a good win.

We won this game because we did what we were supposed to do.

First we look at the TOs...as always.  But in this game ...especially ... the lead seemed to hinge on TOs. When we had the lead in TOs we had the lead in the game and when we lost the TO edge we lost the lead.

So hear is how that went...We win the TO battle 9 to 11...This eliminates the auto loss.  Evening the game up, we then need to win at least 1 of 2  categories...FG% and Rebs...surprise, we win both ...FG% 47.5  to 46.3...Rebs  35 to 33...winning both categories gave us an 80% chance to win the game.

Let's look at my pre game posts ...Bolded statements from above...

There was talk about making up the 16 pts from Parker. I mentioned that the extra pts and rebounds need to come from Ezewiro and Medley....From above...if they both have just average games, we add 10pts plus 8 rebs.  Actual stats... we add an extra 11pts and 14 rebs...a big part of the win.

We beat them at their place with a poor defensive game...We should be abled to beat them  on a neutral floor. ...We did

Bottom line.........Let's get EVEN better...That's what SLU needs to do...A win over the Rams....And we move on to round 2.... we did get EVEN better...

It gets tougher now....let's keep it going.

CenHudDude likes this