Billiken Baseball Preseason A-10 #1 in both A-10 Coaches Poll and D1Baseball

Deserves it's own thread.  

Saint Louis has been tabbed the preseason favorite to win the 2024 Atlantic 10 Conference Baseball race, according to the preseason poll conducted by the league’s 12 head coaches and released on Wednesday.

GGUsJzYWcAEuS3b?format=jpg&name=4096x409

SLU was also picked as the Preseason A-10 Top Pick by D1Baseball this week.

A-10.png

Team flys tomorrow morning to Florida to start the season off against St. Thomas and Illinois State this weekend.  

BuiltFordBills likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Refute my claim, you can't.

College baseball is really fun to watch.  I've been to some amazing JUCO games already this season.  Instead of dudes worrying about how much they are going to get for playing for a school, at most D1 schools there is no NIL and almost no one is getting a full scholarship.   The quality is definitely better the further south you go, but you clearly don't know ball.   

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

College baseball is really fun to watch.  I've been to some amazing JUCO games already this season.  Instead of dudes worrying about how much they are going to get for playing for a school, at most D1 schools there is no NIL and almost no one is getting a full scholarship.   The quality is definitely better the further south you go, but you clearly don't know ball.   

Correct. However you guys know that I'm not saying college baseball isn't entertaining. I'm saying it's impossible to predict a result even if the game is 14-1 in the 5th inning. 

DirtyRican likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Correct. However you guys know that I'm not saying college baseball isn't entertaining. I'm saying it's impossible to predict a result even if the game is 14-1 in the 5th inning. 

True.   You have to embrace the crazy.  Depleted pitching staffs, comically bad umpiring, unusual fields, freezing temps, 1 stray lightning strike every 20 minutes delaying games for hours.   I'm all in.   

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Especially in the mid week games.

In 2001 Tulane won the C-USA and made it to the CWS.  They were stacked.  We beat them 2 out of 3 in St. Louis and it took a late rally for them to win Sunday.  When they got to Omaha a reporter asked Rick Jones their coach about their great season but then threw in, "how the f*ck did you lose 2 to St. Louis".  Anything can happen which makes it awesome.

4 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

Especially in the mid week games.

In 2001 Tulane won the C-USA and made it to the CWS.  They were stacked.  We beat them 2 out of 3 in St. Louis and it took a late rally for them to win Sunday.  When they got to Omaha a reporter asked Rick Jones their coach about their great season but then threw in, "how the f*ck did you lose 2 to St. Louis".  Anything can happen which makes it awesome.

I remember that series well.   I’m sure I have the scorecards somewhere.   They used to give them out at games. Pujols was a rookie for the Cardinals and he WENT OFF that same weekend.   Good times!   I already have tickets to the SLU game in New Orleans this year.  

19 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I remember that series well.   I’m sure I have the scorecards somewhere.   They used to give them out at games. Pujols was a rookie for the Cardinals and he WENT OFF that same weekend.   Good times!   I already have tickets to the SLU game in New Orleans this year.  

Playing at Tulane was fun, they had fans pouring beer on us from the seats above the dugout.  I had one of my lowest moments there when I was a freshman, hit a line drive off the top of the right field wall and got hosed by 5 feet at 2nd because I thought it was gone.  Hughes let me have it.  

In 2001, I think Tulane was 15th in the country when we beat them twice and then they went on a huge run and took out LSU.  

OkieBilliken and BillTheCat like this