Energy guys

Two guys had game changing minutes: SVB and Courcic step up to fill void of Dalger. I hate to point fingers but some of our players just don’t play aggressively on defense. I don’t mean thuggery I mean hustle to the ball and outrunning opponents to get between them and basket. Also our shooters are not expecting screens to be set- as SVB gets more minutes perhaps Bruce will figure out how its done. I like Bruce’s physicallity but he needs to finish. If Thames is getting more minutes I expect steals from Thames and LHJ. Hopefully, Parker recovers from his broken foot- right now I would tell him to not shoot the trey.

1 minute ago, GOSLU68 said:

Two guys had game changing minutes: SVB and Courcic step up to fill void of Dalger. I hate to point fingers but some of our players just don’t play aggressively on defense. I don’t mean thuggery I mean hustle to the ball and outrunning opponents to get between them and basket. Also our shooters are not expecting screens to be set- as SVB gets more minutes perhaps Bruce will figure out how its done. I like Bruce’s physicallity but he needs to finish. If Thames is getting more minutes I expect steals from Thames and LHJ. Hopefully, Parker recovers from his broken foot- right now I would tell him to not shoot the trey.

Thames top play is is to grab his opponent off of the drive. He's an impressive athlete but has low skills. He's not gonna defend.

SVB was horrible as expected. A Jim Crews special. Stiff. Slow. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Curcic interests me. I liked his shooting. He can't defend and he's slow as molasses but everyone on this trash roster is 

He shoots way better than Medley and meadows and those two also can't handle the ball and are slow 

Let's play curcic for 20 a game. We might see something unusual and grab a win that we shouldn't get. He's a real 3pt threat.

SVB took 23 out of his game and if he plays more it will be more like Chris Heinrich (if opponents think they are going to make layups with him in the lane they will crash to the floor). Before he came into the game 23 and 33 were penetrating against our “slender athletes”. He got a big reaction from 23 and took him out of his game.

13 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

SVB took 23 out of his game and if he plays more it will be more like Chris Heinrich (if opponents think they are going to make layups with him in the lane they will crash to the floor). Before he came into the game 23 and 33 were penetrating against our “slender athletes”. He got a big reaction from 23 and took him out of his game.

I agree with your assessment of SBV.  It is too bad Zang won't mix it up

I like Stef Van B's aggressive nature. He should be a brute. He acknowledged in an earlier interview that he knew his role as a back-up to be physical and not worry about fouls. He stated if he got more minutes, he would play more foul conscious. He actually boxes out and hustles non stop unlike Ezeriro (takes plays off) and Zhang (weaker on the boards). Do you remember how slow Ian Vouyoukas was fresh and soph years?? Way slower.

I like the Euro kids and Zhang. I don't know how Magassa is ineligible. Doesn't his sister play at Rhode Island? Did they not have similar academic whatever in France? 

Where Ford struck out was not so much freshmen, but portal. Dalger -gone. Ezeriro - adds some but a liability on D and not as strong on boards as should be. Meadows - so-so, not aggressive enough. 

CenHudDude likes this

I liked SVB’s effort but I would have fouled him out in about 4 minutes. Thought he got away with murder. He just mugged their center. The refs allowed a very physical game and with the exception of SVB was not to our advantage. 

10 hours ago, 757billiken said:

Where Ford struck out was not so much freshmen, but portal. Dalger -gone. Ezeriro - adds some but a liability on D and not as strong on boards as should be. Meadows - so-so, not aggressive enough. 

Agree with this, especially with Ezeriro not being able to play until a judge frees up a bunch of double transfer kids.  Seems like he and probably team thought he would not be playing this year and wasn't close to game shape when suddenly eligible.   Team already short of decent players & Dalger gone--not great player but still could use 10-15 minutes a game from him.  Thought Meadows would bring more but doesn't really fit as a pg and not a scoring threat to help others get open.

No idea if Ford will be back or not but if back could only be with a new assistant or two and ones that can bring in talent ASAP from portal.

8 hours ago, StLouBlue said:

Agree with this, especially with Ezeriro not being able to play until a judge frees up a bunch of double transfer kids.  Seems like he and probably team thought he would not be playing this year and wasn't close to game shape when suddenly eligible.   Team already short of decent players & Dalger gone--not great player but still could use 10-15 minutes a game from him.  Thought Meadows would bring more but doesn't really fit as a pg and not a scoring threat to help others get open.

No idea if Ford will be back or not but if back could only be with a new assistant or two and ones that can bring in talent ASAP from portal.

I don't think Ford can lure an influential assistant coach at this point.

9 hours ago, StLouBlue said:

Any assistant coach like the one you describe would have tons of offers from many other programs. Why would they come here? Remember, if Travis Ford i d fired, they are looking for new jobs too. Any new head coach will want people they know as their assistants.