The Bills over DQ by 7

The Wiz

19 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The subjective narrative notwithstanding, the 3rd highest winning percentage in SLU Men’s Basketball coaching history since 1947-48, behind only Ed Hickey and John Bennington, says otherwise. 

I don’t care if a coach goes 32-1 every single year for a decade—-if for some weird reason that one loss is in the A10 championship game and we miss the NCAA tournament.  Success is measured by having a good year and making the NCAA tournament.  I don’t want a 16-15 record and a blowout in the first round of the tournament every year either.  It’s not too much to expect this program to win 22-25 games and play into the second round of the tournament every 3 out of 6 years.  This was a Top 30 team according to most people in the preseason.  Just using simple math and not accounting for seeding, you should make the field of 32 if you’re a top 30 team.  It could still happen, but people are pi$$ed with the results so far, and for those who want to accept mediocrity need to turn in their tickets.

I often quote coachspeak in many of my posts.  Now, I'd like to quote Punditspeak ===== as in Duquesne was picked as a preseason bottom feeder.  So was Fordham.  Pretty safe bets if you ask me.  Also, Davidson and Loyola were given to us in home-and-homes based on their past performances, which have not been the case this year.  Just an interesting thought to keep in the back of one's mind.

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Billikens improve to 18-9 (.667), 10-4 (.714), and move into 3rd Place (tied with Dayton for 2nd, are in 3rd by the tiebreaker) in the 15 team Atlantic 10.  The team is well positioned to earn the double bye in the upcoming A10 Tournament.

Bravo Billikens. 

It’s a hard final 4, I’m not counting on a double bye, yet. 

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

We have a 3 game lead (including tie breakers) with 4 to play... a win over Rich next Tues and a win by LaS @ home over DQ and we clinch....If LaS doesn't win then we need to beat Loy at the Fetz next Sat.

Ahhh, thought it was a 2 game . Thanks 

Bolded statements from original post

DQ is a very good 3P shooting team...Yes they are...If we give them open shots this game could be a lot more exciting than you want it to be...we did and it was

try to have no more than 1  TO more than DQ...We actually had 3 less which I thought was an important stat.  DQ had 16 TOs ...A great stat since the Bills usual force a half dozen TOs less...The overall TO differential (which is different than pts off TOs) was 6 pts...a game changer.

Beat them on the boards by 5... actual 36-31...nice

Stay out of foul trouble. ...we did and that helped us continue to put pressure on them.

advantage SLU as we should be able to take them inside the arc...And this was the key to the ball game...Points in the paint...a whopping 70 to 20...that is an unbelievable spread especially considering it was a relatively close game....

Stranger stats...While a good shooting 3 team, DQ shot 51.7% well above their usual 36%.   They were 15-29....We had only 1 more FGA then DQ but we had an extra 9 FGM. We lost the FT  shooting contest...78% to 60%,  yet no damage...because on FTM , we won 15-14.....We shot an amazing 63% from 2P land....DQ shot 45%(less than their 3P numbers)... and made 13  2pt shots ....the Bills made 36  shots from the 2.

Bottom line....Let's take the fight to them and make them put up their Dukes....and then say BYE BYE....we did and also won the Dilly Bar trophy which put a nice cherry atop the DQ sundae.