BillikenRich is an a**

GoSlu

GS, it seems the argument is about success. Maybe I am not reading things correctly though. Yes, the soccer team has had more success than the basketball team. But, so what does that have to do with it? It seems the article in the post states the same thing. It also goes on to say because of that success that soccer will give SLU it's highest profile. I have know idea where he is basing that off of.

I have traveled the country for my job and when on appointments the subject of sports and college athletics comes up. When I say I went to SLU, if somebody is familiar with what a Billiken is, it's because of the basketball program. Honestly, I can remember about 2 times out of probably 100 conversations that somebody mentioned our soccer program and one of the times, one of the guys grew up in Quincy, IL and was familiar. So, I don't understand why success is used in the argument? The fact of the matter is basketball has a much larger fan base nationally and probably even here in St. Louis. I have yet to see an NCAA office pool for the tournament go around any office I've worked in for soccer. In fact, I would bet 9 out of 10 households don't even know the soccer tournament is underway. That's not a blow on the sport or say it's not legitimate, it's just the way it is.

I said it before, if our diving team or our tennis team were as successful, would they be getting the arguments the soccer fans give?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need things explained to you. Are you a SLU Grad? I was comparing soccer to sin in what I thought was a funny way. Lets see: sin is to soccer as sinners are to Billikens. So for those of us with brains larger than a grape: Hate soccer love the Billikens! Can I make it any clearer? Does SLU offer remedial rhetoric and logic skills?

>GoSlu started it off with a personal attack and it went down

>hill from there. I wish MU cared about its soccer program.

>Then the motley soccer crew would have an outlet for its

>seething oversensitive blather. As it is we're arguing the

>merits of high level success at a low interest sport vs high

>middle level success at a sport with a high interest level.

There was no personal attack just the facts Jack.

And since talking about soccer is "seething oversensitive blather" when the basketball team plays somebody worth talking about let me know. Oh wait they will be soon and believe me Varner is not taking SLU to the promised land. Soderberg is a great coach but he is fighting an uphill battle for talent with MU,IL,KS etc. SLU has some VERY tough games coming up and I wish them luck but in my opinion a .500 season would be considered very good.

And you call 2 NCAA bids(one of which was via winning the tourney) in how many years "high middle level success"?...I don't think so. And if it wasn't for Larry Hughes and Spoon we wouldn't have even seen that.

GS

Did somebody say Varner wasn't taking us to the promised land? Damn it! Anybody want to buy my season tickets?? I had really thought Ross was going to do just that! I have lost all optimism now!

You're right, Ross won't! IMO he is weak, not physical enough, looks lost - oh wait a minute, he'd be a hell of a soccer player!

Give me a break, GoSlu! Steve is right, let the thread die.

>Did somebody say Varner wasn't taking us to the promised

>land? Damn it! Anybody want to buy my season tickets?? I

>had really thought Ross was going to do just that! I have

>lost all optimism now!

>

>You're right, Ross won't! IMO he is weak, not physical

>enough, looks lost - oh wait a minute, he'd be a hell of a

>soccer player!

>

>Give me a break, GoSlu! Steve is right, let the thread die.

Basketball players couldn't hold a soccer players jock strap!!! Soccer players are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world and the majority of basketball players couldn't last one game on the soccer field.

GS

Okay, I'm laughing. I meant to prove you wrong in your speculation of my appearance. Would you like to bet on your speculation. If I am who you think I am, I will attend a soccer game in your honor. If not, then you can buy me a drink at a basketball game. Fair enough?

I apologize if your intent wasn't what I thought it was but if you are in as good a shape as you imply then you should have the respect for soccer players as some of the best conditioned athletes in the world.

When was the last time you saw an overweight professional soccer player...And if they are they aren't starting or are a bench warmer.

And if you have never played soccer at any type of competitive level how do you know? I've played both sports and soccer far outweighs bball on all levels. And I'm not taking anything away from Bball players as athletes it's just compared to soccer players they just simply are not on the same level.

I don't recall claiming I was in that great of shape. I also don't recall saying soccer players weren't conditioned athletes. I was just saying your speculation of who I am was incorrect and was merely offering to prove that to you. You are right, SOME probably are some of the best conditioned athletes. I believe there are basketball players who could fit that bill as well. I seem to remember several times when Sports Illustrated have done articles on the best athletes in the world. It's always a ridiculous comparison as what defines what "best athlete" is. What is the criteria for that? It's always a gray area. They listed attributes and soccer players are never listed. They also don't list olympic athletes such as decathaletes. Linebackers in football, guards in basketball, and sprinters were always in the top 5. I don't remember the other 2, but they were not soccer. I am in no way implying I am in better shape than anyone on the soccer team or the basketball team for that matter. But, then again, there are physical things I can do, I guarnatee they cannot. I guess it depends on what you train for.

>Is a wonderfully conditioned athlete that would win a foot

>race with Ross Varner but loss an arm wrestling contest with

>him. I'd rather have Ross as my hero than some

>pencil-necked, marathon running, soccer playing goof.

Most soccer players including myself could kick Varner's *ss and your's at the same time. I would like to have a 50/50 ball with your scumbag *ss...I'd smoke you.

And as far as locking this thread is this not a free board? I was willing to let this thread die until there have been several out of line comments from BRich.

GS

Questions for Go Slu

Do/did you play soccer for SLU?

What exactly is a 50/50 ball?

Why are you so sensitive?

The French like small breasts, hairy pits, and soccer, do you see a problem here?

Unless you are the only soccer stud on the planet neither Ross nor I would need the others help to wipe the floor (sorry, field) with your pathetic excuse for a body.

>Questions for Go Slu

>

>

>Do/did you play soccer for SLU?

>What exactly is a 50/50 ball?

>Why are you so sensitive?

>The French like small breasts, hairy pits, and soccer, do

>you see a problem here?

>

>

>

>Unless you are the only soccer stud on the planet neither

>Ross nor I would need the others help to wipe the floor

>(sorry, field) with your pathetic excuse for a body.

No I did not or do not play soccer for SLU.

Hmmmm 50/50...that might mean that 2 players have an equal chance at winning a ball...but only one will gain possession.

I'm not sensitive, I just don't appreciate your bad mouthing of the sport and the university.

What do the French have to do with this?

And believe me I would destroy you and you wouldn't know what hit you.

Questions for BRich:

Do you or have you played BBall for SLU?

Have you ever played soccer before? If not, how can you be such an "authority" on the sport?

Ok sorry, one last post.

I played soccer in grage school and then graduated to real sports like (American) football. I never played basketball at any point. I am a student of basketball at this point. I can't always seem to tell much difference between a charge and a blocking foul. Reffing basketball seems a lot like witchcraft. No matter the game is engaging enough without knowing everything about it.

Soccer is the game of the old world and the third world. Countries like France seem to love it. I can't stand them or their love of soccer.

>Ok sorry, one last post.

>

>I played soccer in grage school and then graduated to real

>sports like (American) football. I never played basketball

>at any point. I am a student of basketball at this point. I

>can't always seem to tell much difference between a charge

>and a blocking foul. Reffing basketball seems a lot like

>witchcraft. No matter the game is engaging enough without

>knowing everything about it.

>

>Soccer is the game of the old world and the third world.

>Countries like France seem to love it. I can't stand them

>or their love of soccer.

Well playing a few years in grage school sure makes you an expert.