Depth Chart

slu72

counter offer steve. remember i am dealing with a used car salesman. he expects that. conversely he obviously low balled the situation in his mind. it is in his blood. besides, if he wants the best prime rib in st louis, he has to be willing to go out on the limb.

I said 2nd team ....

Oops I didn't read the rest of the thread .... I won't bet that he will be 1st team ... but it wouldn't surprise me .... oh what the heck ... 1st team ... the bet is only good if he stays through his senior season.

Tonka ... feel free to come ... but for the honor of being in our presence ... you get the appetizers either way.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Come on we can make 2nd team a little better than that ... I stated I thought he would be 2nd team A-10 before he was done ... you countered that I was crazy ... or something of the sort. Are you now saying you think there is a better than 50% chance he will be 2nd team all A-10?

no i am still ready to bet. just if you want the prime rib, you gotta step up to the 1st team skipper. why dont we wait and see how he looks tonite and revisit the bet in the morning. nothing like betting on a golf course i always say!

Oh I agree, just look at the big men in the league now. I think IV is gonna be sensational. Last year he was young, he was playing in a new setting. This year he has grown. From what I hear he's very nice (has game), and that people are sleeping on his abilities. Hopefully, which almost should be assuredly he'll show us his skills this season and quiet the majority. Oh u know I can't wait, I love the underdog.

Well I hope it's not that easy. If Drejaj can't play that's different, but we need to see Polk's game, in a college setting. Is he ready for that? We know his skills, but how sharp are they in a game. I think the starting spot belongs to DREJAJ. We shouldn't just give the spot to Polk, make him earn it. Then if he does, it's all good, but Drejaj has earned a starting spot at least, especially when he's the upperclassman and the freshman are here.

broy, I think you underestimate the difficult transition IV had to make as an 18 year old D1 freshman last season.

I'm not even sure if high school basketball was available for IV in Greece. He may have been limited to a version of club ball. IV also missed out on the benefit of playing with a quality AAU summer team for 4-5 years. I'm sure his international experience helped somewhat, but it did very little to prepare him for the physical game and quickness played by Soderberg and C-USA.

IV has excellent offensive tools. He can shoot/score and he can pass. IV is a bright kid with good bball instincts. He is still learning the US game and his young 6-10 260# frame is still developing.

If IV could run the floor like TF, you would be talking conference honors. If TF had IV's size and offensive skills, Tom would be playing professionally after he leaves SLU.

IV will have a new juco teammate next year. Hopefully they both will have good development years in 2004-2005.

I hope you guys are right. I would be quite happy with second team all A10 conference. I agree with the shooting skills and even other technical skills. It is the aggresiveness in the paint I am afraid will hold him back. It is one thing to make a post up move technically correct and another to fight for the ball and never give up more like the Donnie Dobbs of old or even some of what we have seen with TF. I need to see IV show a little more heart to be comfortable with an all conference pick.

And I agree that if TF had the body and skills of IV he would be at least all conference 1st team if not going Pro.

I don't think you should call his lack of agressiveness ... lack of heart. It is more lack of experience playing the US style game, proper footwork and positioning play a big part ... if he is out of position and attacks the ball like a madman ... he will foul out. There is alot more to getting a rebound than hustle and desire.

It is a misquote to think I said he doesn't play with heart. I think he truly loves the game and wants to play. Without that he would not have made it to this level. And I of course agree we don't want him "attacking the ball like a madman". Niether were my intentions. However, I have seen him give up on rebounds I thought he could have made. If he would battle for the ball like TF, with his body, he would get significantly more rebounds and get the ball stripped a lot less (and get more play time). I don't want to dis IV. I think he is a great guy and his potential is big time and noone would like to see him live up to it more than I (maybe except his Dad).

tseugnekillib said, "If IV could run the floor like TF, you would be talking conference honors."

well that was sort of my point. he cant. add to that the fact he didnt get into shape and he didnt seem to be working in the weight room, i was disappointed. i hope he comes in this year and proves me wrong.

skip, he only outrebounded phillip hunt, darren clarke and justin johnson last year. i understand you need some "wileyness" about you, but a little effort would be nice. one would think he could take a clue from frericks efforts to some degree.

>>IV will have a new juco teammate next year. Hopefully they both will have good development years in 2004-2005.<<

Was that a generic comment Guest or specific? We all know that SLU is looking for a juco big man for next year but nobody has a clue exactly who other the forward at Chipola. Anything more specific you care to share with us?

I actually thought he looked pretty decent last year for a freshman. But my expectations were nothing (like with almost all freshman), so anything he showed was gravy. I don't think he is any slower than the average 6'10 starting centers in D1. He was not aggressive enough and very tenative last year, but that is a 1st year player for you. They need to learn how to adjust to the speed and physical play of D1 ball. Now I am not projecting all-conference or all-american or anything, but I think he gives Brad some potential for the next three years.

Archie, that's what I don't like. I do think he is slower than a lot of 6'10" guys. These kids are getting bigger and faster every year. I think we are going to see more and more of the Novitzki's, Kukoc, etc. who can run the floor, shoot from range and so forth. It used to be if you were 6'10" or taller you could have a place in D1 ball. I;m not so sure that is the case.

I do think you are right that Brad has some potential for the next couple years. If he can develop his hook and tweak that Europeon style, he could make a difference.