LSU over SIU-e by 25

The Wiz

As I pointed out in the SLU vs SIU-e post,  the computer model doesn't really care much once a team wins by more than 20 pts. Once we beat the Cougars by more than 20 pts ...whether we won by 25 or 37 didn't  add much value to the quality of our win.

The purpose of this post is to point out something more important than the spread.  For those who have been paying attention, there is something familiar about this thread other than SIU-e.  It is the number 25.  LSU will win this game easily just like we did. and it won't matter whether they win it by 25  or 37. The key is that the spread in this game is the same as it was in our game.  ...which indicates that our game against LSU is going to be very close.

I will run the numbers again tomorrow and we will see what they show for Sat.

Wrong you were. SIUE surprised (me at least) by scoring 81 pts against LSU. The expected spread by TR was 28.9 pts favoring LSU. The actual  spread was 13 favoring LSU.

This is the opposite from what we got against SIUE. SIUE managed to score only 52 pts. The expected spread by TR was 22.1 favoring SLU. The actual spread was 37 favoring SLU.

Our defense against SLU as well as our surprising FT scoring % of 76.7% did the trick against SIUE. LSU had better FT scoring percentage at 84.6% but their defense was definitely inferior against SIUE when compared to ours. For example (the first number is for the SLU-SIUE game, the second is for the LSU SIUE game), outscoring SIUE 37 vs 13; outassisting SIUE 5 vs 0; outrebounding SIUE 18 vs 2; causing more TOs by SIUE 11 vs 6. LSU did better than we did with steals and blocks vs SIUE.

Overall, while LSUs scoring is better than SLU's, our defense appears to be superior to LSU's against the same opponent. This will be a very interesting game today which I expect will be won by SLU.

Please note that French was absent and Thatch managed to do nothinng during his play against SIUE. I believe we will be able to win over LSU without French or Thatch contrributing, like we did against SIUE.

I would be a little careful reading into a teams opening game performance. LSU clearly didn't play as well as they'd have liked, but opening games are frequently not a good indication of who the team really is. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into us winning by 30+ and them winning by 13

The Wiz likes this

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I would be a little careful reading into a teams opening game performance. LSU clearly didn't play as well as they'd have liked, but opening games are frequently not a good indication of who the team really is. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into us winning by 30+ and them winning by 13

Agreed. What I saw from LSU were a couple of FR hitting a lot of 3s. So, we have to defend the perimeter. SIUE got back in the game by suddenly getting hot from outside. I like our D in this game. LSU’s young and if we play bully ball D like we do we should get a W. But this is college BB and you never know. However, teams that play good D, which we are capable of, are more consistent than a team that relies more on offense for their Ws. Rick: “Defend and Rebound”. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

I checked ESPN+ this am and it showed 3:00 est. 2:00 your time. This was different from earlier listing, which was 12:00 est. 

cool. count me as amazed and disappointed if we don't handle LSU easily based on what we've seen in last 48 hours plus our awareness of how special this group is.

1 minute ago, almaman said:

cool. count me as amazed and disappointed if we don't handle LSU easily based on what we've seen in last 48 hours plus our awareness of how special this group is.

San Fran just downed #4 UVA. It’s a funny game. Be nice to know Has’s status.