Say it aint so, Doug!

dribbler

From the USA Today:

"The University of South Florida will ask the NCAA to grant an exemption to its uniform policy and allow a Muslim player to wear Islamic clothing on the basketball court. Andrea Armstrong, a Muslim convert, said she left the team and lost her athletic scholarship last week after her coach told her she could not wear religiously mandated clothing during practice or games. She wanted to wear long pants, a top with long sleeves and a head scarf. School officials said Armstrong voluntarily left the team and was not pressured to do so. In a meeting Friday involving Armstrong, the university and the Council on American-Islamic Relations, officials agreed the team would accommodate her Islamic attire and reinstate her scholarship. The university also agreed to work with the NCAA on this. The NCAA's basketball rulebook devotes five pages to uniforms but does not address religious issues. All players are required to wear the same uniform."

Well they certainly cannot discriminate based on religious beliefs. Who invented jerseys and shorts anyway? In a game of street ball especially in Baltimore, there are tournaments where people will play i jeans if they felt like it. Reg played with a Jewish guy named Tamir, he is a very, very good basketball player. Many big named colleges were after him, but he couldn't play games on Saturdays (?) I believe due to his religion. Some schools were willing to work with him, even University of MD. but other schools and scheduling wouldn't allow it. He still went on to college and he's still "a beast" in Basketball. Accomodations have to be made, who are we to question someone's religious beliefs. Of course we don't want to offend others while playing a sport, or make dangerous situations with loose fitting clothing or unsecured....but we must take religion into consideration.

This is a sensitive issue, but be very careful when you throw terms like "must" when dealing with a new situation. Unless you consider all of the ramifications, don't dictate how things should be done.

I kind of liked sports more when they unified us rather than when they became a showcase for the individual. I am unimpressed that they play street ball in jeans, so what. I play soccer with my kids barefoot, but whenever I played with a team I was proud to wear the uniform, because it meant something.

I respect what Shawn Green does each season for Yom Kippur, but we don't see him asking that baseball cancel all games on his behalf. Should we change the rules for each person who may have a legitimate challenge to them?

i agree with the tone of billiken butch's post. i respect the individual's religious belief, but unfortunately, i dont see why the world has to conform to that one person. i.e. if he/she deems it outside of their own belief to participate as the others do, then that person chooses to not play, not make the game confirm to them. i hope doug and the ncaa stick to their guns and not allow this to become a sideshow and a platform for some crazy zealot stunt.

I agree with not changing the rules ... if the game doesn't fit into someones lifestlye than they should just dkip the game and proceed with things that do fit into their life choices. Everything cannot be for everyone.

If this wins I will feel I can go ahead with my suit against the NBA. What percentage of the population is white under 5'11" and overweight ... what percentage of NBA players fit the same description? I can't see why I'm not afforded the same rights to play as other people. The NBA can make accomodations for me and others like me. Taller people can squat when I have the ball, they could limit the times my shot could be blocked. I'm sure there are other rule changes that could be made to help me fit in.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman