Roster Holes

WVBilliken

I doubt Ford wants 6 freshman in this class. Everything else being equal, 1 additional freshman, a juco and a senior transfer.  Since jucos are tough to accept at SLU, a transfer that needs to sit out is another possibility.  The opportunity to play right away should be attractive to available players.  It's nice to be the last piece of a good team.  I would really like to see a good senior transfer come in.  A strong ball handler and 3 point shooter would be great and awesome if we get a player that does both. I dont think its a tough sell that this is an ncaa team next year that will be in the runnung for an A10 title.

1 hour ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Ford will fill the holes we have.

Exactly.  And I trust that he won't settle.  If there is a solid juco, grad transfer or transfer, great!  If not then I hope he shifts to really good 2019 / 2020 guys.  We'll be just fine if he can't find the appropriate talent who can play right away next year.

It's a interesting mix looking forward. My opinion, I'd minimize underclass transfers.  They are transferring because they don't like their current situation - (I'm not getting enough PT).  If I'm sitting someone for a year, I'd rather it be a freshman redshirting.  Grad Transfers are slightly different, maybe, as they are looking for a winning situation to go out on.  They might be looking for a team fit rather than a ME, ME, ME fit.

IF everyone comes back, there is really only one heavy minutes slot available. Ford has historically played 8 with heavy minutes, with two others getting single digit minutes. That's what his record says and that's what he has stated.  Looking ahead is dangerous, but with Bess, French, Foreman, Goodwin, Gordon, Johnson, and Santos, you assume that is seven.  (I'm not sure one of these might be an odd man out, particularly in the paint.)  So will Thatch or Pearson grab #8?  Sure, injuries, and other stuff happens but to come to SLU you need to be able to fit in with this core.   A guard who can handle the ball and shoot is likely needed, but then minutes for Thatch and Pearson will be minimal.

Something to discuss as we roll along. 

1 hour ago, Macallan 18 said:

Exactly.  And I trust that he won't settle.  If there is a solid juco, grad transfer or transfer, great!  If not then I hope he shifts to really good 2019 / 2020 guys.  We'll be just fine if he can't find the appropriate talent who can play right away next year.

I think you missed the joke 

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It's a interesting mix looking forward. My opinion, I'd minimize underclass transfers.  They are transferring because they don't like their current situation - (I'm not getting enough PT).  If I'm sitting someone for a year, I'd rather it be a freshman redshirting.  Grad Transfers are slightly different, maybe, as they are looking for a winning situation to go out on.  They might be looking for a team fit rather than a ME, ME, ME fit.

IF everyone comes back, there is really only one heavy minutes slot available. Ford has historically played 8 with heavy minutes, with two others getting single digit minutes. That's what his record says and that's what he has stated.  Looking ahead is dangerous, but with Bess, French, Foreman, Goodwin, Gordon, Johnson, and Santos, you assume that is seven.  (I'm not sure one of these might be an odd man out, particularly in the paint.)  So will Thatch or Pearson grab #8?  Sure, injuries, and other stuff happens but to come to SLU you need to be able to fit in with this core.   A guard who can handle the ball and shoot is likely needed, but then minutes for Thatch and Pearson will be minimal.

Something to discuss as we roll along. 

That's only for one year.  They can get lesser minutes on a great team that can win the conference championship and make a run in the NCAA Tournament, and then when Bess and Foreman graduate (along with any other senior who might be on the squad), they step up into major minutes in the rotation as sophomores.

College careers can last up to four years for all but the obvious one-and-done types, so why obsess about how much playing time you'll get your first season only?  It's the job of the coaching staff to manage those expectations as they form relationships with the recruits and players.