The Center

ACE

That is exactly the problem I have been worried about since the coaches started talking redshirt. I really think we would be fine on the offensive end if Frericks get injured as IO could probably dominate a center with his speed. However, on defense we would really be in trouble. IO is too thin to bang with a center and Varner just doesn't have the skills IMO. However, with the tenacity of Sloan and the heart some of our players have, we may be able to compensate with a double team on the blocks. Rebounding could be a different story....

You never know but Frericks health I don't think will be a problem. If Frericks does get hurt, then just take the shirt of Husak and let him play. I think JJ would get minutes at center before Varner. A front line with Izik JJ and Sloan would not be so bad, but there would be no depth on the bench. I don't think any of this injury stuff will happen though.

torch is correct. just because we start with the intention of redshirting a player doesnt mean he cannot end that and start playing at any time. the only loss would be the games he did not play in up to that point. so if an emergency situation arises, husak could always be used and thus his real freshman season begins.

I think regardless of what happens and who stays healthy, we're light at the center spot. I'm concerned (as I seem to be every year) with rebounding.

As far as Husak, what have been the scouting reports on him. Is his game anything like or could be like the play of Rick Ricker (sp) - the big blonde headed kid from Minnesota who we played in the NIT

I get the impression that Husak won't be much like Ricker other than the fact that they're both 7 feet tall. I've never seen Husak play, but it sounds like he is not going to be the type to play facing the basket on the perimeter, like Ricker did. I think he'll spend all of his time clogging up the lane (I mean that in a good way) and altering the opponent's shots. Offensively, I think he'll be a post-up, back-to-the-basket player, who should be able to shoot over smaller centers. He is a LARGE young man. I have seen him on campus, and he makes me feel quite short (and I'm 6'6").

I don't think you easily take a young man out of his redshirt year. If the head coach tells a young man in October or early November that redshirting his freshman season would be best for the player and the program I don't see going back to him after 5, 10, or 15 games and saying...."hey, we can use you next game, forget that redshirting idea and all of the games you missed." Imo, it would take a unique situation to de-redshirt a kid, assuming it is legal in bball to do so.

If you have the less bit of a feeling that you might need him, then don't redshirt him!

i am not advocating casually taking a player out of his redshirt year after the season has started. all i was saying that in the event of a major emergency, there is no rule that prohibits that. imo, we are fine numbers wise on the inside. let's not forget brad only likes to use 8 at most 9 players in his rotation.

bryant, sloan, fisher, izik, drejaj, frericks, justin johnson, clarke, hunt, ian, and varner. that is eleven available there without even considering husek. we will be fine.

I have seen a little bit of Husak and talked to a guy who saw him play some and the closest comaprison is Jim Mcilvaine, the big center that used to play for Marquette and had a short NBA career.

Husak has a little bit of finesse, but is in no way capable of handling the ball except on the blocks. His offensive play will probably be very awkward like Heinrich was, but he is right now a defensive stopper. He can block shots at will and is a decent rebounder, just a big liability on the offensive end. He may have the skillsets to improve his offense, ie he can run a little and shows decent footwork, but those capabilties will take time to develop.

If brad is deadset on redshirting Husak which he seems he is, the only reason to take him out would be because of injuries. If Frericks goes down before Ian is in, then Husak would have to get the call I think. I don't think there is much chance of that happening though. It is perfectly legal to take a shirt off a guy midseason.