Dayton's Kostas

The tibia is a thick and hefty bone which provides the main weight bearing function of the lower leg. The fibula sits behind it, it is a lot thinner and basically plays a part in creating 1/2 of the upper side of the ankle joint. It is interesting that the tibial fracture was not displaced (which usually means a piece of the tibia is out of line with the rest of it). A non displaced fracture may be impacted, one piece of the tibia crunching on top of the rest of the bone but roughly in line (not deviated), or a hairline fracture (a non through and through fracture with the whole bone in place but a crack forms in it). The hairline fractures are not as bad as any of the others BUT if they do not wait for it to fully heal (if this is the case) their location shows where the bone is weak and where a major fracture will occur later on. In any case, this kid should not play for the U20 team this summer. If the fracture is impacted he may need a fair amount of work probably including surgery to recover. If he has an impacted fracture he may wind up redshirting for Dayton next year. Hard to say how long he will take to fully recover with a hairline fracture (I mean, in terms of playing D1 basketball which is very stressful for the lower leg bones).

Cowboy, whatever kind it is, it is a fractured (broken) leg.

46 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The tibia is a thick and hefty bone which provides the main weight bearing function of the lower leg. The fibula sits behind it, it is a lot thinner and basically plays a part in creating 1/2 of the upper side of the ankle joint. It is interesting that the tibial fracture was not displaced (which usually means a piece of the tibia is out of line with the rest of it). A non displaced fracture may be impacted, one piece of the tibia crunching on top of the rest of the bone but roughly in line (not deviated), or a hairline fracture (a non through and through fracture with the whole bone in place but a crack forms in it). The hairline fractures are not as bad as any of the others BUT if they do not wait for it to fully heal (if this is the case) their location shows where the bone is weak and where a major fracture will occur later on. In any case, this kid should not play for the U20 team this summer. If the fracture is impacted he may need a fair amount of work probably including surgery to recover. If he has an impacted fracture he may wind up redshirting for Dayton next year. Hard to say how long he will take to fully recover with a hairline fracture (I mean, in terms of playing D1 basketball which is very stressful for the lower leg bones).

Cowboy, whatever kind it is, it is a fractured (broken) leg.

Complete speculation obviously- but if you had to make a prognosis on timing, what would it be? 

Depends entirely on the severity of the fracture and the amount of work it takes to put it together again. If it was a hairline fracture, best option. he will not play (or should not play, corrected) U20, but you may see him next year playing for Dayton some time. This is not ideal but kids do want to play...

Can a four-star recruit be the 113th player in a class? Only one service had him at four stars and another had him as 34th best player at position.  Let's see, 34 times 5 positions equals 170, right?  Oh well,rating rule once again .....

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Can a four-star recruit be the 113th player in a class? Only one service had him at four stars and another had him as 34th best player at position.  Let's see, 34 times 5 positions equals 170, right?  Oh well,rating rule once again .....

That just means that the rating service had more players in his position ranked highly compared to the other positions. They don't rate by position, but overall skill/potential. Then break it down by position. So he was the 113th best overall player and the 34th best at his position.

Old Guy, please give us the Morgan Freemanesque answer to Taj's question so we can all sleep easily tonight

Not a jab at you old guy, but when i read your posts i can't help but think of morgan freeman narrating Shawshank Redemption.

Since Morgan Freeman is one of my very favorite actors I do not take this as a jab at all. 

As far as ratings go, there is so much subjectivity and even wishful thinking in ratings and rankings of any kind, that it is reasonable they get into trouble like the one described by Taj. Rankings and ratings are not an exact endeavor, if you see one 4 star in a field of 3 stars, go with the 3 star level (neither of which is exact but you have a greater chance going with the consensus). This, again, is not an exact answer it is merely my own opinion.