LA Rams

Part of that is because everybody left downtown goes to Culinaria during lunch hour. That place is always packed.

I can't believe it took so long to figure out that a downtown grocery store would thrive if they built it right.

I can't believe that here in Cincinnati - which has a huge weekday downtown working population and the corporate headquarters of the country's largest grocery chain (Kroger) - they have still not figured that out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing the Rams hurts the area financially and in other ways, too. Some football haters think otherwise, fine. I am not saying an NFL team solves all of our problems, no way.

One never-been-right poster said LA has been doing just fine... in fact, they are in deep debt, teetering on bankruptcy a few years ago. No, the NFL would not help them that much. They made their own bed.

Most all of the largest 20 cities in the USA are in a financial death spiral, and most all have been governed by lefties the last 20-40 years. A pattern? Yep. Name them, go ahead. Couple that with the demographic changes in the inner cities and there you go... that is the real bottom line.

To boot, The City and County here have failed to work together at all, there are too many municipalities (90?) doing their own thing, none of our "leaders" seem to understand the importance of bringing in and / or keeping big businesses in the St. Louis area. They will not do what is necessary. Whatever is necessary. Every time a big business leaves the area or gets acquired, made into a regional office and is downsized, I say to myself, "well, my real estate just went down again". Rams = another hit.

Remember when our airport was robust, a major hub, 20 years ago? But visitors laughed at it, cited the need for modernization, upgrades, butr none of our leaders understood that it was necessary, just let it worsen. Now it is a ghost town, I don't know exactly but I believe now there are less than half of the number of flights as 20 years ago.

A losing battle unless people change dramatically, and they will not. The modern era, since The Arch was built, the same old story over and over again.

Downtown's momentum has slowed because most of the profit for the developers came from tax credits. When the projects eligible for them started to dry up so did the momentum. Downtown's redevelopment had not yet been self-sustaining and that is why it may all come undone over the next 15-20 years.

I think the key word here is Percent change. Stats are a tricky thing. There are only 7,371 young millennials with a 4 year degree in St Louis..according to the study cited. I wonder how many of those are just graduated or in grad school and will leave after.

I left because the money/action just wasnt there unfortunately. The rams leaving will not help this.

It was a positive percent increase. There was no drain.