The Glass is Half-Full Thread

Rise and grind, gentlemen. The sky has managed not to fall in my neck of the woods, and the Bills still have business to attend to. Leave your pessimism (or "truths"), no matter how well-thought out or accurate they may be, at the door. Unabashed homers and eternal optimists only. Advance at your own peril, this thread is for dreamers. And people stuck in an hour of standstill traffic.

Defense, defense defense. A lot of us were concerned about the offense all season, hard not to be when your defense is ranked first in the nation (decent), but at this point we need to get back to what brought us here. Someone made a good point that the 3 losses have been vs. teams we have played for the second time around. No excuses, but teams in the dance will simply not be as prepared, and we have to hope our Billiken D gives them nightmares. We know it is more than capable. The offense is what it is. Use up the shot clock, let DE and JJ move inside, or find the open 3 and let it rip. The turnovers are what kills us. Protect the basketball. Be smart.

Our experience needs to be a factor. I've been in the camp lamenting the fact that at some point I'd love to see some fire on the court from anyone not named GG, but we will be the most poised team in the field. We do not get rattled nor let one error throw us off of our game. That's what we need our defense to cause the opposition. We are the dark horses once again, from a conference that will never get national respect. We will be written off and overlooked, underdogs in every game but our first.

The last two games at Chaifetz were tough to swallow, but I plan on holding my head damn high when the final buzzer sounds on our season. We are a team that is going to be near impossible to blowout, despite our deficiencies, and every possession will be a grind. It will be exhausting.

We scrapped for 19 straight wins (ho-hum), locked up the conference (again), and reached the Top 10 (SAINT LOU), fulfilling Coach's premonition on his f'ing birthday. People noticed. They probably still didn't think we were for real, but hey, they acted like it for a few days. Good for them. Midtown was on fire.

We got caught looking ahead, like teams with bigger goals do. A three game losing streak is nothing to these guys. FSM's (and fellow alum) Jase Bandelow put it well, "Yes, SLU appears to be in a nose dive at the worst possible time. But nothing has ever come easy for this senior class, so why start now?"

We start 5 seniors, you know this. They possess varying levels of skill, but they are the men Coach brought in to be the backbone of the resurrection of our program. They've done it, and they'll be taking the court knowing that each game could be their last, ever... as a sucker for NARRATIVES, I'm inclined to believe that will count for something.

Let's sack up and act like we've handled a little adversity before. March is just getting started.

Good post! I'm still optimistic ( always have been as a bills fan :)) I've avoided the board assuming pessimistic threads, but I'm with ya. Lets go boys.

Someone made a good point that the 3 losses have been vs. teams we have played for the second time around. No excuses, but teams in the dance will simply not be as prepared, and we have to hope our Billiken D gives them nightmares.

This is what gives me some confidence/hope in the dance. Conference teams have been scouting us all season and have a chance to make adjustments in the 2nd game. Tourney teams (unless it's wiscy or WSU or an a-10 team) won't likely have that luxury.