"Leonard list six"

www.rivalshoops.com by Jerry Meyer

2006 prospect Jarod Leonard was one of the top performers at the Nike Hoop Jamboree. The 6-foot-6, 179-pound small forward from DeSmet Jesuit High School in Maryland, Mo., has also had an impressive run on the summer circuit for the St. Louis Eagles. At the moment Leonard has a list of six schools.

“I like Saint Louis, Missouri, Purdue, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Kansas,†said Leonard. “Those are the schools that come to mind right now.â€

Having Saint Louis and Missouri close by has enabled Leonard to visit both campuses.

“Two weeks ago I visited Missouri,†he said. “I like Coach Snyder. He is a good coach. I know they have run into a little bit of trouble here lately, but I think they have things on the right track right now.

“I really like Saint Louis a lot. I spent some time there last week, and my dad played there in the seventies. I also like Coach Soderberg.â€

Leonard, who averaged 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists per game as a sophomore, has been named MVP at two tournaments this spring and all-tournament at another. He is a slashing athlete with a developing skill package.

“I can make plays with my penetration and then dishing the ball off or finishing at the rim,†he said. “I can hit the jumper and my defense is solid.â€

Leonard does have the potential to be a very good shooting guard on the next level. The one area that needs to improve is his range. He shot the ball well from midrange at the Hoop Jamboree. His nice looking shot should naturally develop range as he works on it.

“I feel comfortable shooting the ball out to the three point line, and I play the two on my high school team,†he said. “My three point shot could be better, but it is definitely getting better. I am working on getting a quicker release out on the three point line. Out to 19-feet my release is quick, but it is a little slow from 19-feet to 25-feet.â€

If Leonard is really 6-foot-6, instead of the 6-4 he was during the season, then he is going to become a highly sought after prospect here pretty quickly.

I wonder if SLU has already offered him a scholarship. I'm sure the Billikens are recruiting him, because they'd be stupid not to, but I don't know if he has started getting scholarship offers yet.

- Nate

His Dad Jesse The Ghost Leonard has been very loyal to SLU over the years. I used to see him at the games all the time, and he is a great guy. I gotta believe that he is itching for his son to put the Billiken Blue and White Uni on.

You gotta like the fact that he says he likes Saint Louis A LOT! I hope he follows in his dad's footsteps and can help take SLU to the next level. Judging by his size, it sounds like he could be Tommie's back-up for two years and then be a big star for us when Liddell graduates.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Thicks, Jarod has developed to the point where he is our next critical recruit. Liddell will be starting as our 3 when he surfaces at SLU, and depending on the sub pattern, he can stay in the game as the combo guard with PG responsibilities on O, while staying as the 3 on D.

If we get Jarod, I see him developing into a 6'6" to 6'8" slashing forward who will continue to add muscle all four years. We would mutate into the premier running team in the A10, not a bad scenario for a frontcourt weak league. The key element to crown this transformation would be a rebounding center and a deadly three point shooter to keep defenses honest on the secondary break.

You're right Thicks. My math was off. Tommie and Jarod would play together for three years, instead of two. I would think having Polk, Lisch, Liddell, and Leonard all in the line-up together would be pretty fun to watch, but I'm sure Brad wouldn't want quite that many guards/small forwards on the floor. I definitely agree Jarod is our next critical local recruit though. Having his dad being a former Bill definitely can't hurt.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I don't think you should count on Leonard becoming a 6-foot-6 or 6-8 forward.

Last time I saw him (a couple months ago) he was 6-4. He might have grown a bit, but he doesn't have the body to play the small forward position in college yet. He's tall and lean.

More than likely, he'll be a shooting guard wherever he ends up in college.

The next best local small forward prospect will probably be Kyle Kirk, who is probably 6-4 but plays a lot bigger and has a better build. Kirk would be a good fit at small forward.

- Nate

I think "The Ghost" played small forward at SLU, and had a solid enough body for D1. With all due respect, Jarod is too young to project his ultimate size, both height and weight. I haven't had the pleasure, yet, of seeing him play. You might be right on, but there's 3 years before he steps on a college court.