Teams we hope lose tonight

almaman

Their schedule is a bit better than ours

No . And yet if they lose this one, they will in all likelihood be looking up at us in the polls on Monday.

Wichita State, on the other hand, has a far weaker remaining schedule than us, and people are conceding that BOTH they and Kansas will finish ahead of us in seeding. It's not just defeatist; it's totally illogical.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No ######. And yet if they lose this one, they will in all likelihood be looking up at us in the polls on Monday.

Wichita State, on the other hand, has a far weaker remaining schedule than us, and people are conceding that BOTH they and Kansas will finish ahead of us in seeding. It's not just defeatist; it's totally illogical.

I'm realistic. Do I think we shouldn't try? No. Would I like to see us steal the spots in STL? Absolutely. I don't think a loss at TTU is going to change that. That being said I'm still rooting for TTU.

Fair point. I will say if someone offers us 5 of 6 we should jump on it. Agree?

Yeah for sure. As much as I want to run the table it will be very tough to win at VCU. Anything is possible but I would take 5 of 6. I hope I'm wrong and you bring up this post though!

Texas Tech is 104 RPI. That's a big hit, even on the road. And a tougher schedule also means more chances for losses down the stretch. It's perfectly realistic to think we could "steal" a spot in St. Louis if we win out. That's a much bigger if than what the other teams do--we should be worried about our team winning the games in front of us rather than imagining an artificial ceiling based on what other teams might do.

No ######. And yet if they lose this one, they will in all likelihood be looking up at us in the polls on Monday.

The polls mean nothing to the committee. In RPI KU is 2 and we are 10. According to Kenpom KU is 10 and we are 19. According to the Wiz KU is 4 and we are 24.

Polls really just track who is making the most noise right now. When the committee goes back and looks at our entire body of work, they'll see how much more difficult KU's schedule was (the hardest in the country)

The polls mean nothing to the committee. In RPI KU is 2 and we are 10. According to Kenpom KU is 10 and we are 19. According to the Wiz KU is 4 and we are 24.

Polls really just track who is making the most noise right now. When the committee goes back and looks at our entire body of work, they'll see how much more difficult KU's schedule was (the hardest in the country)

Bingo.

Kansas is less than 0.04 ahead of us in RPI as it stands tonight. Factor in wins in our remaining games (including the A-10 tourney) and .04 is not an unrealistic jump, particularly when Kansas faces realistic opportunities to lose multiple remaining games.

Wichita State, of course, is as close to us in RPI as they are to Kansas, and even a single MVC loss will knock them way down.

Again, it's not unrealistic to pass one of them if we win out. That's the big "if." And passing only one is all we need.

Kansas is less than 0.04 ahead of us in RPI as it stands tonight. Factor in wins in our remaining games (including the A-10 tourney) and .04 is not an unrealistic jump, particularly when Kansas faces realistic opportunities to lose multiple remaining games.

Wichita State, of course, is as close to us in RPI as they are to Kansas, and even a single MVC loss will knock them way down.

Again, it's not unrealistic to pass one of them if we win out. That's the big "if." And passing only one is all we need.

Looking at RPIForecast (btw, what's the official NCAA RPI?), KU is as far ahead of us as we are ahead of Pitt. That seems like a decent distance.

KU still has games against Texas, OK and WV, along with OSU and 2 games against Texas Tech. Unless they really stumble, I don't see us catching them.

Our best chance at getting a spot in St. Louis would be to have WSU stumble. Unfortunately, that will hurt us a little too. If they stumble and we finish strong, I think our better strength of schedule could give us a higher seed

Looking at RPIForecast (btw, what's the official NCAA RPI?), KU is as far ahead of us as we are ahead of Pitt. That seems like a decent distance.

KU still has games against Texas, OK and WV, along with OSU and 2 games against Texas Tech. Unless they really stumble, I don't see us catching them.

Our best chance at getting a spot in St. Louis would be to have WSU stumble. Unfortunately, that will hurt us a little too. If they stumble and we finish strong, I think our better strength of schedule could give us a higher seed

I'm not too worried about our loss to Wichita State becoming a "bad" loss. Even if they stumble, they will still finish a quality team. I agree passing them is the more likely scenario than Kansas, but I don't see the sense in conceding either one.

I still think the general sentiment here is underestimating where we'll end up in terms of RPI, BPI, and all the rest if we can run the table. At the same time people post these cautionary notes about how infinitesimal our chances of winning out are, they seem to be underrating just how awesome a position it would put us in if we could pull it off. I remember last year making that enormous jump in RPI over the span of three or four weeks. Even though our remaining schedule might not be quite as strong this year, wins like @VCU, @UMass, and whoever we face in the A-10 tourney would be huge RPI-boosters.

I'm not too worried about our loss to Wichita State becoming a "bad" loss. Even if they stumble, they will still finish a quality team. I agree passing them is the more likely scenario than Kansas, but I don't see the sense in conceding either one.

I still think the general sentiment here is underestimating where we'll end up in terms of RPI, BPI, and all the rest if we can run the table. At the same time people post these cautionary notes about how infinitesimal our chances of winning out are, they seem to be underrating just how awesome a position it would put us in if we could pull it off. I remember last year making that enormous jump in RPI over the span of three or four weeks. Even though our remaining schedule might not be quite as strong this year, wins like @VCU, @UMass, and whoever we face in the A-10 tourney would be huge RPI-boosters.

It's not about it becoming a bad loss but still dragging us slightly.

I doubt that Wichita State stumbles enough for us to catch them. I see them entering the NCAA Tournament undefeated, and even if they don't, they aren't going to lose more than 1 game. And that won't be enough for us to pass them in the selection committees eye.

Let's face it, there's a lot better chance that we stumble than Wichita State.

I doubt that Wichita State stumbles enough for us to catch them. I see them entering the NCAA Tournament undefeated, and even if they don't, they aren't going to lose more than 1 game. And that won't be enough for us to pass them in the selection committees eye.

Let's face it, there's a lot better chance that we stumble than Wichita State.

Yup.

I've given up hope of playing in St. Louis. It's just not happening.