#NoSleepTilRepeat

It's really too bad that is what you took from it.

In an effort to continue to build the program and student fan base, do you think it's wise to not acknowledge and reward and respect the folks that put in the time and effort to attend more games and practices? These kids sacrifice study time and other activities to be at most and in a lot of cases ALL of the games/practices/women's games.

You were at a hell of a lot of events as a student. Should your dedication have been ignored for someone who came to a couple of games and submitted a 30 second video that may have been slightly "better" than yours in the eyes of some judges?

Go back and re-read what I wrote. It's all about a team effort here. Do the math. Send 70 students. 30 band members (the most you are allowed) and 40 students from the video competition. How is that not an equitable situation?

Lots of other kids have activities outside school that don't include the band. Not really sure why you think band members deserve all sorts of rewards for participating in a school activity. I didn't get any comparable rewards.

of all the school activities I took part in I paid significant money to do them. And they all took away from study time. I can't think of a single thing comparable to a weekend in brooklyn all paid for that the band gets. Band has it pretty good from my understanding and in my opinon.

Lots of other kids have activities outside school that don't include the band. Not really sure why you think band members deserve all sorts of rewards for participating in a school activity. I didn't get any comparable rewards.

of all the school activities I took part in I paid significant money to do them. And they all took away from study time. I can't think of a single thing comparable to a weekend in brooklyn all paid for that the band gets. Band has it pretty good from my understanding and in my opinon.

Agreed. Last year I helped set up for student events before games. I handed out flyers in the quad during my free time. I even dressed up as the Billiken to promote the games. Did I think I deserved to go to Brooklyn in place of one of the band members? Maybe a little, but did I whine and cry about how unfair it was? No.

Enough with the arguing, why fight amongst ourselves? We are all Billikens fans who should be happy and appreciative of this amazing season! Instead we continually resort to pointing fingers at the students or at the band on this board. Just STOP! It's almost as if we have nothing else to complain about that we have to resort to this.

The arguments on this board are by no means a microcosm of reality. The band members are ALL friends with the students, and the students ALL love the band. I am thrilled that there will be more students in Brooklyn this year to help cheer on the Bills! Last year it was pretty intimidating being in a Barclays center full of VCU fans, but now we have a traveling student section along with the band to compete with those fans! Heck, maybe in the future we can send the full band along with 100 students!

The real enemies are the trolls who invade this board to water down our discussions of this amazing basketball team and program. Let's just stop fighting with each other, it's not what being a SLU student/band member/graduate/fan is about.

That is all I have to say about that.

My group won. Was introduced during halftime and have a more formal meeting with itinerary next Saturday before the GW game. Apparently they are flying us and board and meals are free. Can't wait to cheer on the Bills in Brooklyn!

Congrats on winning. Give them hell in Brooklyn!

As for this band / students nonsense. Quit the whining. There is no way to please everyone and each side should be grateful that the school is paying for anyone to go to Brooklyn. We are ALL Billiken basketball fans. Our objective should be to support the team not whine over petty BS.

Congrats to BigMouth & all the other winners.

I sure wish the whole band could go, or most of them.

I am still ambivalent about the contest - I would bet this has to be costing $50K to $100K. There are a lot of athletes that train & condition all year long and play their sport for most of a semester - and are told by their coach that their sport has no scholarship money for them. Many are walk-ons playing for the school for free. It's just a little hard for those athletes to accept the situation. I know the BB program brings in probably 99% of the revenue & the AD can do what he wants, but a D-1 athletic program should support all its athletes. And given all the extra money the BB program has received by going to the NCAA tourney, I would hope they would consider doing just that.

[Question for the winners - do you have to report the value of the trip as taxable income?]

Congrats to BigMouth & all the other winners.

I sure wish the whole band could go, or most of them.

I am still ambivalent about the contest - I would bet this has to be costing $50K to $100K. There are a lot of athletes that train & condition all year long and play their sport for most of a semester - and are told by their coach that their sport has no scholarship money for them. Many are walk-ons playing for the school for free. It's just a little hard for those athletes to accept the situation. I know the BB program brings in probably 99% of the revenue & the AD can do what he wants, but a D-1 athletic program should support all its athletes. And given all the extra money the BB program has received by going to the NCAA tourney, I would hope they would consider doing just that.

[Question for the winners - do you have to report the value of the trip as taxable income?]

The team will be chartering a plane regardless. The team, band, cheerleaders, students will asssuredly all be on one plane. $1000 for tickets and I'm sure they are getting a MASSIVE discount with the amount of hotel rooms. I guarantee it's nowhere near 50 to 100 thousand for just the students to go.

The team will be chartering a plane regardless. The team, band, cheerleaders, students will asssuredly all be on one plane. $1000 for tickets and I'm sure they are getting a MASSIVE discount with the amount of hotel rooms. I guarantee it's nowhere near 50 to 100 thousand for just the students to go.

I'm pretty sure the team is coming from UMass straight to Brooklyn, so the charter on the way over won't happen. Maybe on the way back. Of course a lot of things could be different this year, but last year the Band flew commercial for the A10 Tourney. Band, Saintsations, Boosters and the Team did all take a charter out to San Jose, though